Someone remind me...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:52:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Someone remind me...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Someone remind me...  (Read 3817 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 02, 2012, 02:27:14 PM »

Does anyone have the dates when Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich endorsed Pat Toomey in 2004 in his primary against Arlen Specter? I can't find them at the moment.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 02:31:24 PM »

Does anyone have the dates when Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich endorsed Pat Toomey in 2004 in his primary against Arlen Specter? I can't find them at the moment.

I suspect, Phil, that you believe that they didn't Wink
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 06:07:37 PM »

Hm...

Dude on the left was a very strong Specter supporter back in 2004.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 06:23:07 PM »

Hm...

Understood and I have never been a fan it and have criticized Santorum for it. However, I'd appreciate it if the Profiles in Courage Romney and Gingrich could make us aware of when they announced their support for Mr. Specter's opponent.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 07:14:50 PM »

Are the two gentlemen claiming that they endorsed Toomey in 2004? I mean that would be a bit odd for folks who don't live in the state, to make a primary endorsement.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 07:19:30 PM »

Are the two gentlemen claiming that they endorsed Toomey in 2004? I mean that would be a bit odd for folks who don't live in the state, to make a primary endorsement.

Especially with the almost entire national Republican establishment, both Romney and Gingrich were part of, supporting Specter.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 07:27:28 PM »

Romney attacking Santorum for this seems pretty moronic. Really, Mitt, you're attacking someone's credentials as a "true" conservative? L-O-L.

EDIT: I mean, Jesus, Romney himself held positions far more liberal than Arlen Specter's in 2004. This is not a winning argument for Romney.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 08:17:02 PM »

Romney attacking Santorum for this seems pretty moronic. Really, Mitt, you're attacking someone's credentials as a "true" conservative? L-O-L.

EDIT: I mean, Jesus, Romney himself held positions far more liberal than Arlen Specter's in 2004. This is not a winning argument for Romney.

The CW is that the Specter hit in the debate wounded Rick. I don't agree that Mittens was ever more liberal than Arlen on anything, ever by the way, but I digress. 
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 08:21:10 PM »

Does it really hurt Santorum outside of Penn?
BigSkyBob

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 08:39:35 PM »

Hm...

Understood and I have never been a fan it and have criticized Santorum for it. However, I'd appreciate it if the Profiles in Courage Romney and Gingrich could make us aware of when they announced their support for Mr. Specter's opponent.

I will acknowledge that actively supporting Specter's reelection was among Rick Santorum's worse mistakes. I will acknowledge that actively supporting Dede Scozzafava, and sitting down with Nancy Pelosi were two of Newt Gingrich's worse mistakes. One of Ron Paul's worse mistakes was palling around with Jim Peron, who was at the time was hosting the local NAMBLA chapter in the Bay Area.  Mitt Romney's biggest mistake was supporting Mitt Romney for public office.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 09:05:26 PM »

I think that Santorum was being loyal to Specter by supporting him. They worked together in the senate. Tey were from the same party in the same state. How on earth could Santorum support Toomey and not be considered a traitor?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 09:13:45 PM »

I think that Santorum was being loyal to Specter by supporting him. They worked together in the senate. Tey were from the same party in the same state. How on earth could Santorum support Toomey and not be considered a traitor?

In theory, maintaining neutrality.
Tidewater_Wave
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 11:15:42 PM »

Hm...

I will acknowledge that actively supporting Specter's reelection was among Rick Santorum's worse mistakes. I will acknowledge that actively supporting Dede Scozzafava, and sitting down with Nancy Pelosi were two of Newt Gingrich's worse mistakes. One of Ron Paul's worse mistakes was palling around with Jim Peron, who was at the time was hosting the local NAMBLA chapter in the Bay Area.  Mitt Romney's biggest mistake was supporting Mitt Romney for public office.

I've always cut Santorum a break over this. Has any senator ever endorsed a candidate to run against their fellow colleague? Even if Specter were a Democrat in 2004, I can't see Santorum endorsing his opponent but staying out of the race.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 11:37:15 PM »

Even if Specter were a Democrat in 2004, I can't see Santorum endorsing his opponent but staying out of the race.

that's definitely not right.  who are you?  Kevin's little brother?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 11:59:06 PM »

Hm...

I know someone who for sure did not make a Specter endorsement...Ron Paul Wink
NCeriale
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 12:08:03 AM »

I'm no fan of Rick's but he did the right thing. It would have been indecent for Santorum to endorse a primary challenger to his fellow Republican with whom he served and collaborated.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2012, 10:10:28 AM »

Romney has gotten involved in other races before he was a Presidential candidate. For example, he donated quite a bit to the Republican nominee for U.S. Senate in Pennsylvania in 2006...
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2012, 10:18:58 AM »

Romney has gotten involved in other races before he was a Presidential candidate. For example, he donated quite a bit to the Republican nominee for U.S. Senate in Pennsylvania in 2006...

Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2012, 10:25:43 AM »
« Edited: March 03, 2012, 10:30:42 AM by Politico »

Can someone remind me who was robocalling Democrats like Arlen Specter on Tuesday?

Look, Santorum has no problem seeking the support of pro-union, pro-choice Democrats like Arlen Specter. He has a history of it, both in the past and present (and present as in four days ago). Why are some folks who support Santorum not happy with this and still supporting Santorum? This is not true of the three other candidates in the race.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2012, 10:45:56 AM »

Romney hasn't been involved in primary fights in other states?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2012, 04:09:54 PM »

Threads like this are what make me seriously wonder whether Keystone Phil is Santorum.  Same laser-like focus on issues that no one cares about.  Generalized trolling.  Never a chance to win.  Oh well...
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2012, 04:42:02 PM »

Romney hasn't been involved in primary fights in other states?

I tend to doubt it. Has he Phil? You tell us. Thanks.
Tidewater_Wave
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2012, 08:03:12 PM »

Even if Specter were a Democrat in 2004, I can't see Santorum endorsing his opponent but staying out of the race.

that's definitely not right.  who are you?  Kevin's little brother?

What lol? Ok for example, this year Toomey will not likely be endorsing Casey's opponent. He'll stay out of the race.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2012, 08:04:43 PM »

This is thread about Santorum. Please let stay this way.
Tidewater_Wave
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2012, 08:08:34 PM »

This is thread about Santorum. Please let stay this way.

Lol I don't know what O is but I agree with you. Why would a Texas Congressman with the exception of maybe Tom Delay at that time get involved with a PA Senate race?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies