Pontius Pilate (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:10:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Pontius Pilate (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pontius Pilate  (Read 4561 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« on: March 03, 2012, 09:22:45 PM »

There's actually a Pontius Pilate thread here, though it's framed in terms of asking people's opinion of him.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 09:35:49 PM »

There's actually a Pontius Pilate thread here, though it's framed in terms of asking people's opinion of him.

Hmm that's interesting and I hope I didn't upset anyone by starting a new one. He was vile and disgusting man who was removed from office in 36 CE for slaughtering Jews when they were tricked. I'm not sure if I mentioned it above or not. Then his position was eliminated in 44 anyways. Interesting enough Caiaphas from the passion narrative was removed along with him suggesting that they were co-conspirators. This furthers the idea that Caiaphas would've been a puppet for Pilate as opposed to the traditional view that Pilate was passive. What are your thoughts on him?

No, not upsetting. We just might want to get a moderator to merge them into a Pilate Megathread of sorts.

He was certainly an immensely vile and unlikeable historical figure. My interpretation of the reasons for the Gospels portraying him somewhat more sympathetically than the historical record and his role in the Crucifixion should indicate is that it's something to do with how the Gospels engage in a lot of subversion or role reversal of expected portrayals, such that the in-groups in Jewish society come off somewhat worse and the out-groups, be they 'unclean' people, minorities, the underclass, or in this case foreign tyrants, come off somewhat better.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 11:46:40 PM »

jmfcst, has it occurred to you that many people, including many Christians, prefer to read the Bible both historically and religiously?
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 01:10:56 AM »

jmfcst, has it occurred to you that many people, including many Christians, prefer to read the Bible both historically and religiously?

what does that have to do with introducing hack motive that is contrary to the entire plot?

Because it's exactly what Tidewater is doing here, and because there are hackish elements to the way the Gospels were written. They play to specific audiences and are hackish to the sensibilities of those audiences. That doesn't somehow magically make them not divinely inspired any more.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies