Government Reform (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:24:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Government Reform (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Government Reform  (Read 1361 times)
Tidewater_Wave
United States

« on: March 04, 2012, 12:08:54 AM »

Campaign Finance Reform:

1. Ban all soft money donated by corporations and unions from federal campaigns.
2. $2,500 limit on individual contributions.
3. $5,000 limit on couples’ contributions.
4. $85,000,000 limit on money spent in federal elections to be funded with public financing.
5. Candidates must disclose all donors!!!
6. Candidates who opt out of public financing may not spend more than $85,000,000.
7. Candidates may ask for a recount if margin of difference is within 0.25% in federal campaigns.

Term Limits and Voting Reform:

1. Proof of citizenship and voter registration at the ballot box.
2. Limit absentee ballots to military and hospital patients only.
3. Allow states to decide whether or not ballots are in foreign languages.
4. Maine must vote as a state in Presidential Elections.
5. Nebraska must vote as a state in Presidential Elections.
6. U.S. House members limited to six two-year terms but can run again twelve years later.
7. U.S. Senate members limited to two six-year terms but can run again twelve years later.
8. Voting age remains 18, but only encourage informed voters to vote.

Spending and Deficit Reform:

1. Congress only meets on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:00a.m.-5:00p.m. with a lunch hour.
2. 25% pay cut for congressmen.
3. President’s salary cut from $400,000 to $250,000.
4. Constitutional amendment requiring a balanced budget at the end of each year.
5. Cut federal programs by 20% to pay off national debt except for military.
6. End corporate welfare by enforcing ideals of true capitalism.
7. Eliminate 20% of government employees if the government is underfunded.

Some will agree and others disagree on different points I presume. I predict that both parties will find some common ground in my policy to downsize government.
Tidewater_Wave
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 02:34:25 PM »

About the only one of those points I agree with is that candidates must disclose all donors and that's already the law.  It's the 527's that don't have to disclose and they are even less tied to candidates than the SuperPACs are.

As for your point of "End corporate welfare by enforcing ideals of true capitalism." it sounds good, but unless you flesh it out, it is just empty rhetoric.

You don't agree with cutting bay of congressmen or the president?
Tidewater_Wave
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 04:09:43 PM »

Who here opposes a balanced budget?
Tidewater_Wave
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 11:24:30 PM »

Opposing a balanced budget amendment is not the same thing as opposing balanced budgets.  It certainly is not the same as the idiotic Hack, Slash, and Burn proposal that try to enshrine other policy goals into the Constitution under the guise of "balancing the budget".

Ok I agree actually. In an emergency such as 9/11, borrowing money for whatever purposes maybe a necessity. I can see what you mean. I'm still a big fan of Bush 41 proposing the most restrictive spending limits in history which allowed us to balance the budget later in the 90's. Bush and Obama have done very poorly on spending and congress never stood up to anything until the GOP came in last year. I hope we can get it straightened out because for the next 20 years we can tax at 100% and still be in debt. I'd cut everything other than defense by 20% so that it things are even and across the board.
Tidewater_Wave
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 03:56:53 PM »

I'd cut everything other than defense by 20% so that it things are even and across the board.
It is my belief that 'even and across the board' includes everything. I think that whenever a politician says 'across the board but not defense' they mean 'welfare, Social Security, and Medicare', but are too chicken to come out and say it.

If you want to cut Medicare and SS, I'm fine with that, but just come out and say it without trying to pretend to be fair, because that isn't working.

Medicare and social security are based on what people pay into it too though. It wouldn't actually be included in spending cuts. We need to have a lock box on those.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies