How do you commute to work?? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:00:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  How do you commute to work?? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How do you commute to work??
Car

Train

Bus

Walk

Bike

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: How do you commute to work??  (Read 5316 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« on: March 04, 2012, 09:14:09 PM »

Motorbike of course.  I only use my car very rarely - maybe once a week to go to the nearby bigger city, or sometimes a bit more frequently for local trips during rainy season.

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 07:14:12 AM »

2002 Chrysler Sebring, and I just park on the street somewhere near my apartment.

Ouch.. not famous for being a reliable vehicle.. also very prone to being stolen for some reason.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 11:49:09 AM »

I drive just about everywhere I go. 

Not like you really have any other options where you live....right?

In fairness fat people can't walk around a lot, Franzl, even if there are 'other options'.  I have a very fat Thai friend who can't walk more than a few yards, so he drives everywhere in a nice air-conditioned Honda.

One time we traveled together to Lao, and there he did have to rent a motorbike so that he wouldn't have to walk at all.  It was a bit funny to see him on a bike, but it worked.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 02:11:42 PM »

Which one is home and which the office, Torie?  Is that Orang County?

How to people commute by bicycle? At work, one needs to be clean and tidy, not smelling like bleu cheese.

Yes!  My question as well!  I can't figure out how anyone could walk very far or peddle a bike at all to work without stinking, unless they live in a pleasant climate like Northern Europe.  Here even riding a motorbike I do smell a bit earthier than I'd like during hot season.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 02:36:24 PM »

How to people commute by bicycle? At work, one needs to be clean and tidy, not smelling like bleu cheese.

Huh
We're not trying to win the Tour de France; urban utility cycling isn't a particularly intense athletic activity.

LOL.  Seriously, dude.

I guess if I lived in a warm, moist climate, like obebo and memphis do, then I'd probably bring a change of clothing in my back pack.  Even here there are some days when I arrive and I have to unzip, untuck, and wipe a little moisture from my sack and torso before settling comfortably in.

Christ buddy, if you're not taking a full shower with soap you're not really alleviating the problem - which is that the human ape stinks if it sweats.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 12:26:55 PM »

And here I thought you were such a big fan of the Ancien Régime. 

Well, if we lived under that grand scheme, neither the aristocrat nor the serf need wash himself, but we live under something called bourgeois neo-liberalism, where every man is a rat running in a wheel, and if he stinks too much the other rats will kick him out of his little wheel.

Huh
We're not trying to win the Tour de France; urban utility cycling isn't a particularly intense athletic activity.

Yeah...I sweat about as much from bicycling as I do from moderate walking...pretty much not at all.

You guys must live in very cool climates.  In Memphis, or St. Louis, or Thailand outside of Nov-Feb, you would sweat profusely just from sitting in the shade, much less walking or moving or god forbid riding a bicycle contraption.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 02:17:30 PM »

But many Thai men and women do cycle every day.

That is very rare here - basically you only see either very old people (typically rich Chinese-Thais who prefer to bike around than get the Mercedes out of the garage) cycling on ancient classic bikes downtown, guys with tricked out $2,000 racing bikes and all kinds of fancy gear doing it for exercise in the suburbs, and once in a while a few pretty girl college students will ride bikes in shorts because they think it looks sexy.  But I never see anyone actually biking for a practical reason. 

I think Al is on to something about living healthy.  I probably don't.  I never eat breakfast, but when I do eat I eat fairly healthy food.  I imagine that I exercise enough and I go to bed at a decent hour.  Nevertheless, I drink far too much alcohol so if it's warm then I sweat when I cycle, and my sweat always smells like booze.  I find that if I give the undercarriage a swipe or two with a dry towel immediately after arriving, there is no lingering odor problem.  It probably also helps that I shower daily.

Al's full of nonsense, angus, people sweat when they get hot - its normal and the body's built in cooling system - and when they sweat bacteria grows and it stinks.  None of this is unhealthy or the result of ill-health - it is the normal result of hot and humid climes and exercise.  To bathe and not stink is in fact the unnatural thing, but I still prefer it (as I prefer avoiding all exercise outside an air-conditioned bedroom.

I cycled to work today, in fact.  No pit stains.  No sticky underwear.  No foul odors.

I think I do have a skidmark on my whites, but I get that whether or not I cycle to work.  I should learn a better wiping technique.

Christ buddy, you should wear dark plaid boxers if you have that problem.  Those tight-white underwear look retarded anyway.  Here in Thailand thankfully we have the sprayer next to the toilet, so we're all about ten times cleaner than americans:

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 03:40:10 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2012, 03:45:39 PM by opebo »

No way.  I tried on a pair of boxer shorts once.  Tried to walk around in them.  I kept racking myself with every step.  Slap.  Slap.  Slap.  It's so painful.  How can you stand that?  Also, it feels strange.  Normal underwear for me, thanks.  Jockey shorts.  White and tight.

Haha, no, never had that problem.  I simply cannot understand your preference, any more than you can understand mine..  its like politics or perhaps even more so.  I find those tight things incredibly uncomfortable.  Free-balling is fine, but the perfect compromise is a good pair of boxers.  Then again, come to think of it, I do have a very wide stance.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 03:57:03 PM »

Added a poll on the above controversial topic, boxers vs. briefs:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=150353.0
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 08:38:53 PM »

I break a sweat quite often, whether I bike or walk, but that's more because I can't restrain my pace. I can't bike leisurely.

Haha, weird fast-walking Europeans.  I find that when I walk with Brits or Euros I simply cannot keep up - I always have to call out to them 'hey where's the fire? what's the rush?'   I amble or perambulate, never walk with an directness of pace (happily this fits in reasonably well with Asians, particular Thais/Lao, etc).  To me it seems a sign of a bad character and/or some form of duping.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies