The Northeastern Democrat - The Northeast Region and the New HAEV (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:42:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Northeastern Democrat - The Northeast Region and the New HAEV (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Northeastern Democrat - The Northeast Region and the New HAEV  (Read 1231 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« on: March 05, 2012, 03:44:48 PM »

Giving the Speaker's position more influence and meaning to it doesn't lead to "tyranny".  That is a very absurd comparison.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 04:07:40 PM »

Giving the Speaker's position more influence and meaning to it doesn't lead to "tyranny".  That is a very absurd comparison.

It does if it, combined with the dangerous and far-reaching expansion of the governor's powers, means that individual assemblymen no longer have any power whatsoever.

If I were the governor and PLPers controlled the Assembly, you (and probably Napoleon as well) would be raising holy hell if I were to propose this travesty*, as well you should.  Instead of being reflexively partisan, how about actually thinking an issue through, or at least admitting your reflexive partisanship.

*of course, I wouldn't propose it, but that's neither here nor there

Individual Representatives would still have the same power under this plan.  But frankly, if a certain party controls the Assembly, it deserves to have more power because voters chose to put that party in charge.  If voters disapprove of the job the majority party is doing, they can vote them out and elect a new majority to handle future legislation differently.  That is not tyrannical at all.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 10:51:11 PM »

Wormy could havebrought forth his concerns during the five or so days of debate.

This kind of stuff is routine, of course.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 11:26:00 PM »

I've read over the bill many times.  It's simple: when a slot is open, legislation is taken to the floor.  There is nothing dictatorial about this at all.  The Speaker cannot simply throw away bills, and I find this deliberate misleading of the constituents to be in extremely poor taste.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 11:32:13 PM »

I've read over the bill many times.  It's simple: when a slot is open, legislation is taken to the floor.  There is nothing dictatorial about this at all.  The Speaker cannot simply throw away bills, and I find this deliberate misleading of the constituents to be in extremely poor taste.

He seems to have no constitutional knowledge, new or old, and doesn't seem to understand the SOAP he himself just voted on. I don't think the region will fall for this.

Yet it continues to let him troll the Assembly at his will, of course. Roll Eyes

I've read over the bill many times.  It's simple: when a slot is open, legislation is taken to the floor.  There is nothing dictatorial about this at all.  The Speaker cannot simply throw away bills, and I find this deliberate misleading of the constituents to be in extremely poor taste.

No, the Speaker can simply throw away bills, by always moving them to the back of the queue until the session is over.  That is, in fact, the very intention behind that aspect of this legislation.

When a slot is open, the Speaker has no choice but to introduce the bills.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 11:37:21 PM »

I've read over the bill many times.  It's simple: when a slot is open, legislation is taken to the floor.  There is nothing dictatorial about this at all.  The Speaker cannot simply throw away bills, and I find this deliberate misleading of the constituents to be in extremely poor taste.

No, the Speaker can simply throw away bills, by always moving them to the back of the queue until the session is over.  That is, in fact, the very intention behind that aspect of this legislation.

When a slot is open, the Speaker has no choice but to introduce the bills.

But the speaker can simply introduce legislation, any legislation, and put that in front of whatever he dislikes.  Quite ironically, this bill would indeed make it possible to filibuster legislation indefinitely.

We await on your amendment to remedy this.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies