Challenge: Implement the Wyoming Rule (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:19:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Challenge: Implement the Wyoming Rule (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Challenge: Implement the Wyoming Rule  (Read 11661 times)
muon2
Atlas Icon

« on: March 23, 2012, 07:18:44 PM »

The DK website only did a crude rounding to get the number of seats by the Wyoming rule. To do it right I first divided the US (minus DC) apportionment population (which includes overseas person not used in redistricting) by the population of WY to get 544 seats. Then I used the official algorithm to get the apportionment for each state. This is the resulting map.

muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 08:58:31 PM »

The DK website only did a crude rounding to get the number of seats by the Wyoming rule. To do it right I first divided the US (minus DC) apportionment population (which includes overseas person not used in redistricting) by the population of WY to get 544 seats. Then I used the official algorithm to get the apportionment for each state. This is the resulting map.

If the objective is to have each representative, represent a Wyoming-sized district, why calculate the overall size of the House?  Why not just divide the population of the state by Wyoming's population and round?

The usual interpretation I've seen is to make the average CD equal in population to the smallest state (WY). What you suggest doesn't necessarily result in the average coming out correctly. To get it right means dividing the US population by WY, and then what remains is the usual apportionment problem. I used the current system, but other methods could be used instead.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies