Kucinich Loses House Seat in Ohio
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:52:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Kucinich Loses House Seat in Ohio
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Kucinich Loses House Seat in Ohio  (Read 6123 times)
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2012, 11:11:24 AM »

So the argument is "Kucinich used to be similar to Kaptur therefore he should have lost to Kaptur."  Somewhat circular, no?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 11:16:13 AM »

So the argument is "Kucinich used to be similar to Kaptur therefore he should have lost to Kaptur."  Somewhat circular, no?

No, the argument is that Kucinich is one of the most shameless opportunists in Congress, literally 'pals around' with murderous dictators, and thus deserved to lose to Kaptur. Hell, he deserved to lose, period. Smiley

How Kucinich managed to reinvent himself as some kind of paragon of liberal integrity is beyond me, but it happened.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2012, 11:31:23 AM »

If Kucinich's goal was to just get re-elected indefinitely, then he obviously wouldn't have taken the stances he did.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2012, 11:32:13 AM »

If Kucinich's goal was to just get re-elected indefinitely, then he obviously wouldn't have taken the stances he did.

And if his shift was purely to fuel his presidential campaigns, he would've flip-flopped back after '08.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2012, 11:35:28 AM »

I don't hate Kucinich at all. Nor do I disapprove of Gaddafi quite as much as I do of those who clamored for his murder. I just like Kaptur better than the Natural Law Party. Besides, Cleveland already has a fine Representative in Marcia Fudge. Toledo doesn't.

I agree 100%
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2012, 02:42:10 PM »
« Edited: March 08, 2012, 03:03:26 PM by seatown »

What with the Kucinich bashing going on in not only this particular thread but the forum?
His "support" for Gaddafi. It's quite ridiculous.

My issue with him has nothing to do with that (though it is quite repulsive). I don't care for him because he's a political chameleon whose only consistent belief throughout his career is that he should be re-elected. He's a lot like Mitt Romney.
Umm....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayoral_administration_of_Dennis_Kucinich

Instead of reading the whitewhashed version of his administration as uploaded by his staffers to Wikipedia, I would recommend this: http://www.clevescene.com/cleveland/the-king-of-spin/Content?oid=1503534

You must be logged in to read this quote.

etc., etc.
And your article isn't biased at all(read the entire thing). It's basically doing the same thing as all the right-wingers who say Obama is responsible for all this mess. There were existing problems in Cleveland when he became mayor. All the cities were declining in the 70s in US.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2012, 03:10:29 PM »

The truth wrt Kucinich's term as Mayor is somewhere in between.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2012, 03:21:00 PM »

He changed his mind on one major issue.  One!  Kaptur has been consistent in her conservative views.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2012, 03:31:34 PM »

The truth wrt Kucinich's term as Mayor is somewhere in between.
It's pretty obvious he isn't the best fit to be an executive, but he is good champion of left-wing causes, and that's why he was good to have in Congress. This also shows fault with entire representation system of US, local representatives should be non-political if we are going to have locally elected representatives whose entire job is to bring pork to the district, national issues should be decided by a Parliament where people vote for parties and ideologies.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2012, 03:34:47 PM »

Kucinich has always been a joke. Hopefully this is the last we'll hear of him.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2012, 04:00:10 PM »

I love how all our "moderate" Dems are so in favor of a woman whose main claim to fame in her early years in congress was that she was a frequent call-in guest on Chuck Harder's Alex Jones-esque radio talk show.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2012, 04:01:51 PM »
« Edited: March 08, 2012, 04:04:18 PM by seatown »

I love how all our "moderate" Dems are so in favor of a woman whose main claim to fame in her early years in congress was that she was a frequent call-in guest on Chuck Harder's Alex Jones-esque radio talk show.
You have to understand though, the very principled would make poor executives.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2012, 06:27:01 PM »

What with the Kucinich bashing going on in not only this particular thread but the forum?
His "support" for Gaddafi. It's quite ridiculous.

My issue with him has nothing to do with that (though it is quite repulsive). I don't care for him because he's a political chameleon whose only consistent belief throughout his career is that he should be re-elected. He's a lot like Mitt Romney.
Umm....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayoral_administration_of_Dennis_Kucinich

Instead of reading the whitewhashed version of his administration as uploaded by his staffers to Wikipedia, I would recommend this: http://www.clevescene.com/cleveland/the-king-of-spin/Content?oid=1503534

etc., etc.
And your article isn't biased at all(read the entire thing). It's basically doing the same thing as all the right-wingers who say Obama is responsible for all this mess. There were existing problems in Cleveland when he became mayor. All the cities were declining in the 70s in US.

And all the absurdly unqualified staffing choices? Appointing a 24-year-old woman with no police experience Chief of Police? Appointing a budget director who wasn't smart enough to take into account inflation? The paranoid and confrontational manner towards anyone who wouldn't pledge their support to Kucinich? That was all someone else's fault? Get real.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2012, 06:59:31 PM »

He changed his mind on one major issue.  One!  Kaptur has been consistent in her conservative views.

This is laughable. While Kaptur is indeed consistently conservative record on abortion, she's been consistently liberal on almost all, if not all, other issues.

Beside, she's been far more valuable Congressperson than Dennis ever was.

I liked Dennis, but with choice between him and Kaptur, I'd always choose Kaptur.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2012, 10:58:39 PM »

I think it's enough to point out that he showed a remarkable degree of... I think 'extreme misjudgment' sounds right... with regards to that whole issue.

This. Even if he was misquoted, which certainly isn't implausible consider the source is the Syrian state media outlet, it still begs the question why he was even paying a friendly visit to Assad in the first place.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2012, 11:02:26 PM »

RIP
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2012, 11:11:21 PM »

If you guys up there in Washington State want him, you can have him Tongue
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2012, 11:24:26 PM »

This is laughable. While Kaptur is indeed consistently conservative record on abortion, she's been consistently liberal on almost all, if not all, other issues.

I liked Dennis, but with choice between him and Kaptur, I'd always choose Kaptur.

Kaptur is anti-choice, anti-gay, pro-PATRIOT ACT, pro-war, and pro-Keystone Pipeline, anti-DREAM ACT, and is an overall supporter of the establishment.  Kucinich tried to sue Obama's administration when he illegally brought us to war with the Libyan government; Kaptur did not.  No self-respecting progressive should support this woman.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2012, 11:33:43 PM »

Would it be possible for Kucinich to run as a write-in or independent? It would be pretty hilarious if Joe the Plumber managed to win due to a split vote.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2012, 11:41:05 PM »

Kaptur is anti-choice, anti-gay, pro-PATRIOT ACT, pro-war, and pro-Keystone Pipeline, anti-DREAM ACT, and is an overall supporter of the establishment.  Kucinich tried to sue Obama's administration when he illegally brought us to war with the Libyan government; Kaptur did not.  No self-respecting progressive should support this woman.

Wow I didn't know she was such a DINO. I'll have to think carefully between supporting her and Joe the Plumber.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2012, 04:47:03 AM »

In Dennis' dreams. Of course, that flirtation presumably cost him votes in this primary.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2012, 05:51:58 PM »

In Dennis' dreams. Of course, that flirtation presumably cost him votes in this primary.

Of course it did. Refusing to answer questions about the possibility of running in Washington a couple days before the primary isn't a great position to be in, especially for a guy whose career was built upon remembering his "forgotton people" on the west side of Cleveland. Kucinich still managed close to 75% in Cuyahoga County but I can't imagine that his flirtation did anything but hurt.
I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2012, 03:55:08 PM »

I saw a comment that Jean Schmidt lost...

I think She should run as an independent...

Proud Mean Jean supporter here...
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2012, 04:35:22 PM »

Glad to see that Rep. Marcy Kaptur kept her seat -now the way is clear for Dennis Kucinich to become the new face of the Green Party.  
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies