Early Christian Conflicts (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:12:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Early Christian Conflicts (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Early Christian Conflicts  (Read 1574 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: March 07, 2012, 03:25:10 PM »

The account of who saw the resurrected Christ first is an analogy of early Christian sects?!

100% conjecture. 

Reminds me when I was a child and I thought every Cowboys-Redskins game represented a battle between good and evil.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 04:13:34 PM »

The account of who saw the resurrected Christ first is an analogy of early Christian sects?!

100% conjecture. 

Reminds me when I was a child and I thought every Cowboys-Redskins game represented a battle between good and evil.

Yes it was a representation of the conflict between early "Orthodox" Christians. The canonical gospels take Peter as the primary leader after Jesus. Later traditions such as the Gospel of Mary have something different to say as Peter is corrected by Levi. "If the Savior considered her to be worthy, who ware you disregard her (Mary 10:9)? At that point however it was Orthodox vs. Heretics and looked to be the case that the role of women in the early church was being suppressed. In the Gospel of Judas too, Judas' role is flipped to the hero who fulfills his calling in life while the other disciples are the betrayers. Here we see persecution of the mid-second century frustrating and possibly dividing the church as to how to handle it. Rather than an analogy between sects, I would classify the resurrection as individuals competing for power.

Once again, you simply refuse to compare your theories to Paul’s writings, which you admit were written pre60AD…Paul’s letters state that Peter was the primary apostle by choice of Jesus Christ to lead the church after the death of Christ:

Gal 2:7 “[Peter, John, and James] saw that I had been entrusted with the task of preaching the gospel to the Gentiles, just as Peter had been to the Jews. For God, who was at work in the ministry of Peter as an apostle to the Jews, was also at work in my ministry as an apostle to the Gentiles. 9 James, Peter and John, those reputed to be pillars, gave me and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship when they recognized the grace given to me. They agreed that we should go to the Gentiles, and they to the Jews.”

You’re revealing yourself to be very very ignorant because:
1)   You’re unaware and don’t really care what the NT actually says.
2)   You make complete conjectures while refusing to examine the evidence.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 11:17:51 AM »

I'm writing a paper on the Gnostic Gospels by Elaine Pagels...I may borrow some thoughts from these posts!

careful, you'll need to get written permission from Tidewater_Wave (aka Derek), since he claims the wisdom of his material is copyrighted.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies