The Right to Smoke
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:58:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  The Right to Smoke
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The Right to Smoke  (Read 10974 times)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2005, 08:17:31 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

well that may be the case in north america, but in ireland (and a good porten of western europe) smoking advertising is banned. that's really going to get up you nose it's it?

But it is the duty of socity, which is expressed in the form of the government, to make sure that children are not going to be influnced into smoking by slick advertising. and don't tell me that advsetising dosen't work or they wouldn't spend so much money on it. Now i'm not saying, and i will never support, government replacing the parents of the child but it can provide help to parents through things like banning advertising on tv and billbords.

Television advertisement of cigarettes is banned here as well. Magazines and billboards are still allowed to do so. Hypocritically, alcohol is not under such restrictions - do you advocate that it be done as well? If you don't you are a hypocrite.

The 'help' the government is giving in your example takes away responsibility that should be the parent's. Parents who claim to need such help are simply lazy.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2005, 08:17:44 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2005, 09:10:46 PM by Senator Gabu »

well that may be the case in north america, but in ireland (and a good porten of western europe) smoking advertising is banned. that's really going to get up you nose it's it?

In Canada, I don't know whether or not smoking advertising is banned or not.  I haven't ever seen a smoking ad, which leads me to think that it may well be; I'm too lazy to look it up or not.

Regardless, I wasn't talking about advertising.  Smokers are everywhere.  A child is going to have to learn what a cigarette is sooner or later.

But it is the duty of socity

I can agree with this.

which is expressed in the form of the government

I don't agree with this.  Society doing something and the government doing something are two completely different things.

to make sure that children are not going to be influnced into smoking by slick advertising. and don't tell me that advsetising dosen't work or they wouldn't spend so much money on it. Now i'm not saying, and i will never support, government replacing the parents of the child but it can provide help to parents through things like banning advertising on tv and billbords.

I'm undecided on the subject of advertising, but at the moment it seems to me that it would be like banning peer pressure.  I intuitively feel that they're obviously different and that advertising should have some limits, but I'll have to think about it.

Forget that point for now.  Either way, advertising can work, but it's not as strong as you'd like to make it seem.  We have tons of anti-smoking ads in Canada.  People still continue to smoke and even still start smoking if they haven't before, even after seeing the horrible pictures and such.  It's not as if advertising is mind control.  Responsible parents would address these things.

another thing that I think should be brought into this debate:

o.k.? cool.

Well, I'm not American, but let's see here.

Population of America: 293,027,571
Population of the UK: 60,270,708

Deaths per 100,000 citizens from smoking in America: 150
Deaths per 100,000 citizens from smoking in the UK: 175

Yeah, that ban on smoking ads sure cut down on smoking deaths.

Why is it so hard to fatham that you could have laws which pretect the health of workers and why would they be so wrong? Where you work is there law to make sure that you are same and free from danger. if that's so why stop others from having the same right to a safe working enviroment?

Well, if you don't like working in a bar that allows smoking, don't work in a bar that allows smoking.  It's as simple as that.

because volentary bans almost never work. self regulation can always be given a try but when it involves peoples health, its the rold and duity of government to protect the collictive rights of everyone to be safe.

It's not the role and duty of government to prevent people from voluntarily placing themselves in a dangerous environment.  Is the concept of personal responsibility for one's actions that foreign to you?

please see my prevous answer. the bans in ireland and Italy are based on safty in the work place. the ban in Norway is tied to that (coz they'll be joining in another few years [say 2020]) principle of law.

Answer this question: why should a bar owner not be allowed to smoke in his own building?  If you own something, shouldn't you be allowed to do whatever you want in it, as long as what you're doing isn't illegal?

All people in a smoke-filled bar are there out of their own volition and can leave at any time if they don't like the environment.  Why should everyone else be forced to accomodate them?

i'm off to bed so that i can go to work in my smoke free office, eat lunch in my smoke free café and meet a friend for a pint in my local smoke free pub :> talk to ye tomorrow.

Patronizing.  Super.  Let me know when you're ready to start debating again. Smiley
Tory

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2005, 08:38:03 PM »

Finally run out of common sense in Ireland, eh?

(not that they had too much to begin with)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2005, 03:30:13 PM »

I'm finally starting to understand why you brits subjugated the Irish for so long. lol
European
Rookie

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2005, 03:54:35 PM »

hemmmm..........let's move on.

1. who do you think makes up a government? it seems to me that you think that once elected a government takes on a life of it's own outside socity? it dosen't, otherwise can't function otherwise. now this is different from the quality of people that are elected to office and that is down to the stupitity of the people voting, which is a personal choice. You attude seems to be one of something ailen and removed from  socity which only dose harm and not good.

2 "for the common good" yes you have heard it from dictators and it's called propaganda. but that dosen't make it less valid.

3. I quoted the figures to show the affect of smoking and not as a deminstration of how well a ban on advertising works.

well it started over italy banning smoking and i was trying to give you a legal context in which to judge the law. sorry of you not intrested.

yes being a law dosen't make it right. very ture. laws are social constructs they are location and time spacific and they change and as attudes of socity change. but must suprising is that laws shape the attudes of socity. there is a give and take (interaction) between socity and government, as it's most important institution. it can't be anything else as government is made up and guided by people who are members of socity.

never heard of this.

yes, absolutly.

yes they are. you have right and by placing them into the governing document of a country you set the minimul, in a legal sence, defining what government and anyone else can do and in an actuall sence, where you have the right to defence and restratution if they are infringed. it is true that you have rights which are none legally defined in law but they would be defined as common law rights and not open to infrigment. i.e. the right to bare children, the right to father children, the right to stand and look at the sky.

but you are more likely to be free under a democratic government.

that social darwinism, only those who have a strong self intrest will be free and all others will not be. returning to smoking, do you obay the speed limits? it's another form of the law (i.e. regulation) in a different situation.

so if you smoke where you want to you are free and if you can't then your nor. is that it?

i have faith in the people, i have faith in my fellow citizens, i have faith in the fact that I believe that people are essentially good and nothing in all my years have changed that fact.

I think that advertising should be banned. yes i do.

true, and it's then, as has been said before, for perents to explain to there children.

then how dose socity express itself? how dose socity do something?

I never said that advertising was the only reason people start smoking but it is a significant one.

see above.

yes that is true and i am a firm beliver of personal responsibility. what about the responsibility you have for the damage you cause to others health by smoking. should everyone around you just go away because you want to smoke and dame there rights to go where they want to and do what they want to do just because you want to smoke and dame anyone telling you different because you'll shout oppression and that people are taking you rights away.

it's been said that none smokers are in the majority. i think that you have you answer there. it is a democracy after all.

well smoking is now illigal and i know it's a social construct and dependant on time and place and now at this time and in this place they have decided that this is something that they want. and that includs smokers like me.

please don't talk about anything to which you have no idea of.......[/quote][/quote][/quote]
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2005, 04:04:51 PM »

Did I make the mick mad?
European
Rookie

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2005, 06:26:11 PM »

Mad? no. Just disapointed that this is the level that you rise to.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2005, 06:44:54 PM »

God that post is awful, European. The 'Preview' button exists so you can correct those quote mistakes. And does the word 'capitalization' mean anything to you? And let's not even begin on the spelling errors. If you want your argument taken seriously, make sure you bother presenting it in proper fasion. Sheesh. (please don't take this too seriously, but I seriously mean it, you wouldn't show up at a business meeting in your pajamas, people will listen and take you seriously when you present yourself as someone to be respected)

Anywho, on to business.

First off, you lack the fundamental difference between rights and privileges. More on this later.

1. Once people are elected, there is little way to keep them from wreaking havoc during their term. Sure, sometimes they can be impeached, but great damage can be done. Of course, this is why we hold elections every few years - to curb the damage bad officials do. Of course, based on the caliber of the candidates we get these days, I don't have much faith in the system anyways - it's like picking your poison, Arsenic(R) or Cyanide(D), put a checkbox next to which one you would like to kill you. That's why government should be restricted in it's abilities - even a democratic one - because it prevents damage from being done to people. This is hardly an alien way of thought - it is quite similar, if not the same, to the thinking of many of the men that founded this country.

2. The "common good" is always propaganda - ALWAYS. Anytime someone purports some proposed law for 'the common good' it is because their argument must not hold enough merit on its own to convince people it needs to be done. It doesn't even matter if the person using the argument has good intentions or not.

Wizard's Second Rule: The greatest harm can result from the best intentions.  It sounds a paradox, but kindness and good intentions can be an insidious path to destruction.  Sometimes doing what seems right is wrong, and can cause harm.  The only counter to it is knowledge, wisdom, forethought, and understanding the First Rule.  Even then, that is not always enough.

3. The government has no rights - what you have shown are merely powers granted to the government. The government has no right to them. This is the fundamental difference between rights and privileges - rights are inalienable, privileges are granted and can be taken away. You admitted yourself that the government can only exist with the consent of the people - the people can abolish it at any time, it has no right to exist. Since it has no right to exist, it really has no rights at all, now does it? To think that the government has no right to exist but at the same time has other rights is a contradiction.

Wizard’s Ninth Rule: A contradiction can not exist in reality. Not in part, nor in whole. To believe in a contradiction is to abdicate your belief in the existence of the world around you and the nature of the things in it, to instead embrace any random impulse that strikes your fancy – to imagine something is real simply because you wish it were.

4. Your rights are not granted - they are inalienable. You have every right to exist. If the government was indeed the force that granted rights, that would imply that the government has the right to take them away. If indeed that is true, or at least what you believe, then the government can take away your right to exist by whim alone. But your right to exist is inalienable - it is granted to you by nobody(except perhaps your god, if you believe in such things), it is inherent, and nobody has the right to take it away from you without provocation. So, once again the Bill of Rights is merely a restriction on government to help ensure it does not infringe upon your inalienable rights, it does not grant them because you already have them.

5. I'm only more likely to be free under a democratic government if I'm in the majority. Otherwise I'm more likely to have my freedoms voted away as the minority. Democracy is a horrible form of government - did you even bother reading the article I linked? The government must exist in some form or another, but only because it is a necessary evil that prevents greater evils from trying to take away our freedom, but because it also has the potential to do the same it should be kept minimal in it's power. Give it more power and it will likely take away more freedom, democratic or not. The U.S. Government was originally supposed to be set up in a way that kept power minimal and divided, so that it would be very difficult to restrict freedom. The U.S. is not a democracy, it is a constitutional republic, a form of government that has democratic elements but is not a true democracy. Absolute power corrupts absolutely - give absolute power to the majority and they will absolutely corrupt. The U.S. system held checks on the power of the majority, as well.

6. Social Darwinism and self-interest - you fail to see how self-interest works, because you are indoctrinated to always associate it with greed. All people have different self-interests. Ultimately, my responsibility is to myself, not to my fellow man, but that does not stop me from donating to charity every now and then. I also mad sure to specify 'reasoned' in front of self-interest. If I gave in to every self-interested thought, I probably would have killed, raped, and pillaged something by now, wouldn't I have? Putting thoughts on morality aside, because my self-interest is reasoned, I know that if I did those things other people would want to do the same to me, so out of self-interest I don't do those things. Now, I also think such things are immoral, but my self-interest gives me one more reason not do do such things. It's also in my self-interest to not go around restricting the freedom of others, because others will start wanting to restrict my freedom. This is why putting reason in your self-interest ensures freedom.

Wizard's Sixth Rule: The only sovereign you can allow to rule is reason.  The Sixth Rule is the hub upon which all rules turn.  It is not only the most important rule, but the simplest.  Nonetheless, it is the one most often ignored and violated, and by far the most despised.  It must be wielded in spite of the ceaseless, howling protests on the wicked.

You also probably think that self-interest can only lead to bad things, in which case you would be wrong. Let us say that we live in an area where the nearest butcher shop is 50 miles away. For us to get meat to feed our families is quite a burden on us. A man named Bob moves into town and opens up a butcher shop right down the street from our homes. He opens this shop to make money - he isn't here to help us out, he's here to make money for himself and his own family. Even though he opened the shop purely for his own gain, we still benefit from it - we save money on gas, we save time(which we can now spend with our family, working, or doing leisure activities), and we can get more meat more often from the above savings, not to mention other benefits we might receive. Rather than harming us, Bob's self-interest did us a lot of good.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2005, 06:45:55 PM »

7. Speed limits - This is a very different issue from smoking bans in restaruants, and I'll tell you why. It comes down once again to rights and privileges. For me to even enter a privately owned restaraunt on privately owned land is a privilege - I have no right to be there, and can only be there by the consent of the owner. Roads on the other hand, are owned by the government, meaning they are ultimately owned by the people - here democracy and government have more authority than I do on my own land, in which I am for the most part sovereign by right, because while I have a say in the use of the road, it is public property so here I have to compromise with everyone else. It's similar to joint property ownership - if more than one person owns property the owners must compromise on use. However, if the public does not own the restaraunt they don't have the right to vote on it's policies.

8. I'm my own man, nobody owns me - I made that comment simply because it is the stone cold truth. Society has no claim to me. Smoking is only part of that. And once again you confuse rights and privileges - I can't smoke anywhere I damn well please. Remember, I said that I would favor banning smoking in government buldings - i.e. public property, which as a member of the people I have a share of ownership in. I don't have the right to smoke or forbid smoking on someone else's property - first off, I am there of my own free will(barring they are holding me against my will, but considering they violate my rights by doing so it is a completely different case) and am only there by their consent, so being there is a privilege and not a right, and that consent can be withdrawn at any time for any reason. Since I am there of my own free will, but it is their property, I have to go by their rules or risk being kicked out. If they don't wish me to smoke, they can kick me out for it by right, but if they were to allow me to smoke(not that I would, it's a nasty habit I don't intend to start) that is their right as owner(s) of the property, but I do not have the right to tell the owners that they have to stop allowing smoking - to do so would say that property rights don't exist. If I own property, I have every right to smoke there. If government owns property, it is owned by me and all other citizens collectively and therefore policy is determined by the majority of the owners, which is perfectly fair so long as it does not violate certain absolute rights(like the right to life).

9. Society - society isn't a collective blob of everyone, it is a every individual. Individuals, alone or in groups, can express themselves in many ways - free speech for instance, free association, ect. A large chunk of society can get together and sat 'we like cheeses' and society has therefore expressed itself, or at least part of it has. There's never a case where all of society agrees, so all of society never expresses itself in the same way at the same time.

10. Advertising - I seriously have to question the effectiveness of smoking advertisement. You would have to show me a study that shows a decline in people starting to smoke after advertisement is illegalized(while taking into account other factors, like anti-smoking advertisement) for me to be convinced it is a major factor.

11. Personal Responsibility - Do remember that when you walk into a smoke-filled bar you are pretty much already aware of the smoke, or at least you are upon entering(if there are ashtrays and no smokers you should at least know that smoking is allowed). How is it that you have no responsibility for deciding to enter and stay within the bar? Would you enter a 'reckless shooting range' of your own free will, knowing people will be recklessly shooting guns, and blame other people when you get shot? Remember, every time you leave your house you take risks, and you are at least partially responsible for said risks. In the case of willingly entering a bar or restaraunt where smoking is allowed, you are completely responsible for what happens.
Carioca
Rookie
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2005, 09:39:06 PM »

Bans on smoking are ridiculous. Whats next, getting arrested for not flossing?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2005, 12:35:30 AM »

Mad? no. Just disapointed that this is the level that you rise to.

I was joking with you but you decided to get mad.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2005, 12:40:19 AM »

The level that you rise to? Er, I think you mean...nevermind...
European
Rookie

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2005, 03:23:20 PM »

Mad? no. Just disappointed that this is the level that you rise to.

I was joking with you but you decided to get mad.

If it was meant to be a joke then that's how I'll take it.
The level that you rise to? Er, I think you mean...nevermind...

Think about it.

God that post is awful, European. The 'Preview' button exists so you can correct those quote mistakes. And does the word 'capitalization' mean anything to you? And let's not even begin on the spelling errors. If you want your argument taken seriously, make sure you bother presenting it in proper fasion. Sheesh. (please don't take this too seriously, but I seriously mean it, you wouldn't show up at a business meeting in your pajamas, people will listen and take you seriously when you present yourself as someone to be respected)

Point noted. Thank you for pointing it out.

Now down to business......
Wizard's Second Rule:...........

Wizard’s Ninth Rule:...........

Wizard's Sixth Rule:............

Wizards Rule? This is life, not warhammer.

My response is.....Plato, Aristotle, Cicero, Thomas Aquinas, Niccolò Machiavelli, John Locke, Thomas Hobbes, Jean-Jacques Rousseau, Rachel Carson, Milton Friedman, John Rawls,  Bernard Williams, Charles Taylor, and Bernard Crick. Read them, like what they say. Don't like what they say, but at least read them.

Wizards Rule, is this the bases of all your political thought? As I was reading your post I had to stop and look it up on google. No wonder you have no problem justifying doing what you want.

I have no problem in you pointing out spelling errors and so forth but then to go on and pepper your argument with this drivel has killed any argument you can ever make.

Please go here...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_philosophy
read, think, then come back, argue with me.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2005, 04:50:22 PM »
« Edited: January 13, 2005, 05:03:43 PM by S.E. Magistrate John Dibble »

Now down to business......
Wizard's Second Rule:...........

Wizard’s Ninth Rule:...........

Wizard's Sixth Rule:............

Wizards Rule? This is life, not warhammer.

My response is.....Plato, Aristotle, Cicero, Thomas Aquinas, Niccolò Machiavelli, John Locke, Thomas Hobbes, Jean-Jacques Rousseau, Rachel Carson, Milton Friedman, John Rawls,  Bernard Williams, Charles Taylor, and Bernard Crick. Read them, like what they say. Don't like what they say, but at least read them.

Wizards Rule, is this the bases of all your political thought? As I was reading your post I had to stop and look it up on google. No wonder you have no problem justifying doing what you want.

I have no problem in you pointing out spelling errors and so forth but then to go on and pepper your argument with this drivel has killed any argument you can ever make.

Please go here...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_philosophy
read, think, then come back, argue with me.

Warhammer? Sorry, wrong source. I don't even play Warhammer(I believe it is a game, if I'm not mistaken). The actual source is the Sword of Truth book series, written by best selling author Terry Goodkind.

I use the Wizard's Rules because they contain wisdom and thought. I know political philosophy. If you ever actually read the series you would know that it has a good deal of political philosophy in each book - just because they are works of fiction does not mean they contain no truth.

The rules, as written in the series so far, are thus:

People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything.  Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it’s true, or because they are afraid it might be true.  People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true.  People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all easier to fool.

The greatest harm can result from the best intentions.  It sounds a paradox, but kindness and good intentions can be an insidious path to destruction.  Sometimes doing what seems right is wrong, and can cause harm.  The only counter to it is knowledge, wisdom, forethought, and understanding the First Rule.  Even then, that is not always enough.

Passion rules reason.

There is magic in forgiveness.  Magic to heal.  In forgiveness you grant, and more so in the forgiveness you receive.
Note: The forgiveness must be sincere.

Mind what people do, not only what they say, for deeds will betray a lie.

The only sovereign you can allow to rule is reason.  The Sixth Rule is the hub upon which all rules turn.  It is not only the most important rule, but the simplest.  Nonetheless, it is the one most often ignored and violated, and by far the most despised.  It must be wielded in spite of the ceaseless, howling protests on the wicked.

Life is the future, not the past. The past can teach us, through experience, how to accomplish things in the future, comfort us with cherished memories, and provide the foundation of what has already been accomplished. But only the future holds life. To live in the past is to embrace what is dead. To live life to its fullest, each day must be created anew. As rational, thinking beings we must use our intellect, not a blind devotion to what has come before, to make rational choices.

Deserve Victory.

A contradiction can not exist in reality. Not in part, nor in whole. To believe in a contradiction is to abdicate your belief in the existence of the world around you and the nature of the things in it, to instead embrace any random impulse that strikes your fancy – to imagine something is real simply because you wish it were.

Now read each, and you may notice that each one really doesn't have anything to do with real magic, wizardry, or any other such fantasy. They are pieces of advice, wisdom by which one can enhance how they run their lives. You think it is drivel, but the fact that you can not see the wisdom contained within something as simple as these shows your ignorance and closed-mindedness, not mine. You'll note I left out the 'Wizard's Rule' part this time - read each, consider, and tell me that they are really drivel. If I hadn't posted the Wizard's rule part in the first place, you wouldn't even consider it drivel, now would you?

Also, to further discount your argument that this is drivel, I will remind you that numerous other fiction authors have influenced political thought and philosophy in the past through their books. One such person is Mark Twain.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2005, 05:14:41 PM »

I've decided to go a bit farther on this subject. I will show in a few practical examples and explanations of how some of these rules can apply in the real world.

Look at the second rule: let's say I decide to help my friend with a school project. My intentions are clearly good - I want to help him where he wouldn't have had help before, I'm doing something I see as nice for him. It actually turns out, that in my attempt to help him I screw things up - I don't know much about the project, or the knowledge required to complete it. Ultimately, I end up just getting in the way, wasting his time, and he has to turn in an inferior project as a result. Had I used some forethought I would have realized my inexperience would just hinder him rather than help him. My intentions were good, but the results were bad. Simple, practical application of the second rule.

"Passion rules reason". The third rule is elegantly simple. It basically means that people have a tendency to let their emotions get the best of them, and they end up doing stupid things because of it. Knowing this will help you calm your temporary passions and bring you back to a state where you can make decisions based on careful thought rather than blind emotion. Look at crimes of passion - say a man catches his wife sleeping with his best friend, and he kills them. Now say the same man instead finds out from someone else what is going on, but he doesn't kill them. He's angry, sure, but he calmed down and used his head. If he had been able to keep his calm in the first situation, nobody would have died.

These are just a couple of many examples that could be used, and by no means encompass everything meant by the rules.

Also, they are not the basis of all my political thought, I just find them useful to quote. Terry Goodkind's books certainly influence me, because they contain far more than just the rules, but other sources also influence me - Jefferson, for instance, is a large influence.
European
Rookie

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2005, 06:56:12 PM »

I've read these rules.

They are not wisdom.
They are not Truth
THEY ARE A PLOT DEVISE.

It is not intended to be taken as literal. It is not a code of moral behaviour. It is in no way a code that will bring you happiness and understanding of yourself or anyone else. The only reason that they are in the books, and I have to tell you, is to further the journey of the main character and to FURTHER THE PLOT. The only thought that went into these rules are where are they going to place within the story and how they are going to advance the story.

I am in shock. I really am. I was sitting in my office today waiting to come home and see what you had published and you offer this as an argument? I wasn’t going to say anything to you but you reply  with a defence of it. I pray to God that you never get to political office.

I read fantasy. Have since I was 5, Tolkien to Robert Jorden, Isaac Asimoz to Raymond Feist. so I know how good fantasy can be.

but......

The most important word in this rule is CAN. Because "sometime the greatest good CAN result from the best intentions." Changing one word changes the intention of the sentence, completely. I know that you don't care about it, but the European Union was founded with the best intention and it has caused the greatest good, especally when you consider the alternative.

Of course it dose. But reason rules passion, and it dose. It CAN.

WHAT??? what a convoluted way of saying that forgiveness has a healing power. But looking back on the first rule  (people are stupid) and combining them together, why forgive them? It was probable there fault anyways. You now have the right to do anything that you want.

How do deeds betray a lie? It is only through looking at the actions and the words of someone that you will understand that there is either truth or decide in there actions. What if someone believes a lie? There actions will conform to the lie that they hold to be true, and another thing. It is very hard to tell if someone is lying to you, just as it is to know if someone is telling you the truth. This is the essence of doubt.

This is a lie. There is no other word for it, passion is the thing that drives history forward. Passion is the thing that Has made men great and have visited the worst of tragedies upon us. A great man once said "A man who has not know passion has not lived"

Life is the past, because it is where we came from, it tells us who we are. The history we have of others actions is the life that we live today. Ignoring the past, as is implied in this "rule", and is to ignore it's lessons will only doom you to repeat them. It also ignores the fact the history is alive and well today. You told me that America isn't a democracy, you are right, it's a republic, based on the lessons of the Roman Empire. History alive and sort of well.

Of course, there's a conflict with Rule 3 and Rule 6: Rule 6 says that you can only allow reason to rule you, but Rule 3 says that passion rules reason. Not a good foundation for a political ideology.

These "rules" are cachphrases, sound bits, something that you would read on the side of a cerial box. Not a thought out and well reasoned pholisiphy which can stands up to rigious scrutney. and if you base is not secure then your argument never will be.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2005, 08:18:46 PM »

I never said they were absolute truth. They are very general in nature. However that does not negate the wisdom contained within. No wisdom can be applied for everything. I applied them where I felt they would further my argument. Also, you seem under the notion that just because I referenced a fanatasy work it somehow negates my argument entirely - that says you are closed-minded.

And yes, it is fantasy, but that does not mean it has no value. Fables are clearly fantasy stories, yet their actual intent is more than just entertaining the reader - they are supposed to teach a lesson. The Sword of Truth series is much the same. The rules serve as plot devices and as lessons - each book in the series helps teach you something. Perhaps you've read books that were supposed to teach you something but you just missed the lesson.

Also, another fiction writer who has influenced political thought - Ayn Rand. Never read her books, but I do know they are fictional, and even you can not deny that they have influenced political philosophy. Ever read anything by Jonathan Swift? Heck, Gulliver's Travels were political satire, but they are clearly fantasy in terms of story. Fiction or fantasy, something can still be tought through such mediums.

The most important word in this rule is CAN. Because "sometime the greatest good CAN result from the best intentions." Changing one word changes the intention of the sentence, completely. I know that you don't care about it, but the European Union was founded with the best intention and it has caused the greatest good, especally when you consider the alternative.
[/quote]

Yes, CAN is important. But that does not make the rule itself invalid. Mere good intentions are never, ever good enough - intentions must be carried out with forethought and reason. Abandonment of forethought and reason is plain stupidity. Would you give money to every single beggar just because they need money? No. You'd eventually run out yourself. The lesson of the rule is not to let your good intentions get the better of your reason.

Of course it dose. But reason rules passion, and it dose. It CAN.
[/quote]

I already explained that it could. As I said, the rules are not absolute. They are things to be cautious of.

WHAT??? what a convoluted way of saying that forgiveness has a healing power. But looking back on the first rule  (people are stupid) and combining them together, why forgive them? It was probable there fault anyways. You now have the right to do anything that you want.
[/quote]

It is convoluted that you take this literally - does the word 'metaphor' mean anything to you? No, there is no physical healing power in forgiveness. It is more of a healing of the psyche(both of the forgiver and the forgivee), not the physical body. I know people have forgiven you for things you've done - does it not make you feel better when they do? Sorry, but this one is very difficult to explain without you having read the book, context is important. I'll do my best anyways.

I don't go about forgiving everyone for every transgression they cause. I forgive people who I feel deserve it. Even so, I don't go around harboring grudges for everything ever done wrong to me. I would be a hateful, bitter, hollow individual if I never forgave anyone. Now, I ask you to imagine what it would be like for you if nobody ever forgave anything you did, just consider it for a moment. Probably not pleasant, is it? People make honest mistakes - I forgive them for it. People give in to tempations - I forgive them. I don't expect people to be perfect, but so long as the one to be forgiven is at heart a good person who doesn't want to harm anyone, they usually deserve to be forgiven. Anyways, read the book and you might understand better.

How do deeds betray a lie? It is only through looking at the actions and the words of someone that you will understand that there is either truth or decide in there actions. What if someone believes a lie? There actions will conform to the lie that they hold to be true, and another thing. It is very hard to tell if someone is lying to you, just as it is to know if someone is telling you the truth. This is the essence of doubt.
[/quote]

If someone believes a lie, then they do not lie when they speak it - they say what they honestly believe to be true. First rule. It is the one who intentionally lies who's deeds can betray their lie. Example - my step-dad said he wasn't cheating on my mother, but he was. He had done it before. She knew he was lying because he acted in the same ways he did to cover it up the first time, and she caught him again - his deeds betrayed his lie. Had my mother only minded his words, she would still be married to a man who cheats on her. And once again there is 'can' in there. It is not absolute that deeds will always betray a lie, but in many cases they can. It is just a general good idea to follow.

This is a lie. There is no other word for it, passion is the thing that drives history forward. Passion is the thing that Has made men great and have visited the worst of tragedies upon us. A great man once said "A man who has not know passion has not lived"
[/quote]

This is very intertwined with the second and third rules. Passion drove Hitler - he was undoubtedly a 'great' man. Passion drove the formation of the USSR. Passion drives lots of things that were bad - madmen and brutes have passion too, you know. Yet, nowhere have I said that passion and reason can not coexist. The best leaders were very passionate, as were many of the worst(as I pointed out) - but the best used more than mere passion, they used their heads to think things through before they did them. If the intents of one's passion is not ruled by reason, you likely end up violating the second rule. Passion alone makes Nazis, communists, and the like. None of these men used reason. They allowed passion to be sovereign, and look what it ended up doing, either to themselves or to others, look at the kinds of leaders their passion brought them, and then you tell me whether passion or reason should be supreme.

Life is the past, because it is where we came from, it tells us who we are. The history we have of others actions is the life that we live today. Ignoring the past, as is implied in this "rule", and is to ignore it's lessons will only doom you to repeat them. It also ignores the fact the history is alive and well today. You told me that America isn't a democracy, you are right, it's a republic, based on the lessons of the Roman Empire. History alive and sort of well.
[/quote]

You leave out the bits that are convenient to you it seems. The parts you left out contain very important context.

"Life is the future, not the past. The past can teach us, through experience, how to accomplish things in the future, comfort us with cherished memories, and provide the foundation of what has already been accomplished. But only the future holds life. To live in the past is to embrace what is dead. To live life to its fullest, each day must be created anew. As rational, thinking beings we must use our intellect, not a blind devotion to what has come before, to make rational choices."

The rule states that yes, the past happened, and we can indeed learn from it and use that knowledge. However, we must not be obsessed with the past - we can't change it, but we can change the future.

There is no conflict. Once again this comes down to context - you take things far too literally. "Passion rules reason" is a warning that people tend to allow their momentary passions to overwealm their rational thinking, and this is implied as a bad thing, because it is. The 6th rule builds on this and states that reason should be dominant over pasion, among other things. This is not a con

If after all I have said you still think this, then you are hopeless. I do hope you actually read the books(you can find "Wizard's First Rule" in paperback in a number of bookstores, I assure you you will enjoy it, though at book 6 they get a little preachy, just to warn you). And I assure you, these 'catchphrases' have been very influential in many of my arguments, both in this thread and others - yet before I mentioned them you seem to have had great interest in reading my posts, you said so yourself.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2005, 08:32:12 PM »

To get this thread back on topic, I'm moving our discussion on these to another thread
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies