The Confession
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:00:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Confession
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
Poll
Question: How is The Confession so Far?
Great!

Good

Okay

Bad

You should stop now!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: The Confession  (Read 21165 times)
HST1948

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: May 12, 2012, 06:23:35 PM »

Breaking Rudy Giuliani Wins South Dakota and New Mexico Primaries, Clinches Nomination  

Giuliani Takes South Dakota

Giuliani 54%- Brownback 40%-  Paul 6%

Giuliani Sweeps New Mexico

Giuliani 59%- Brownback 30%- Paul 11%

HST1948

« Reply #126 on: May 12, 2012, 06:32:48 PM »

Brownback Concedes

"Thank you very much.

Ladies and gentlemen, I called Mayor Giuliani a few moments ago. It looks pretty apparent tonight that he will, in fact, achieve 1,191 delegates to become the Republican nominee for our party.

I extended to him not only my congratulations, but my commitment to him and to the party to do everything possible to unite our party, but more importantly to unite our country, so that we can be the best nation we can be, not for ourselves, but for the future generations to whom we owe everything, just as we owe previous generations all that they have done for us.

Mayor Giuliani has run an honorable campaign because he's an honorable man. One of the things I'm proudest of is that the two campaigns that I believe have been run in the most civil manner are the two in the Republican Party that have lasted on their feet to the final. And I'm grateful for the manner in which he has conducted his campaign.

I have so many people to thank, starting with this lady here to my right, who I still believe...
And, by the way, I think it's fitting that she got better applause than me, because she deserves it. She truly does.

She's been through so much. She is a magnificent first lady of Arkansas for 10 1/2 years, and I always believed she would be a wonderful first lady for the United States, as well. And I'm grateful for her patience and perseverance through every step of this wonderful journey we've had.

I'm grateful for my family. Some of you may have heard me say this, and it's true: My family didn't have to be persuaded or begged to give their permission and blessing for me to get involved in this campaign. In fact, they were ready for me to do it before I was. Truth is, I was the holdout; they weren't.

And what a wonderful, magnificent gift they've given me with their loyalty and their dedication, involving themselves with their sleeves rolled up every single day of this effort, giving 110 percent of themselves. And for that, I will always be grateful.
The apostle Paul wrote that, "I fought the good fight; I've finished the race; and I've kept the faith." And I believe tonight that one of the things that we will be able to say is not only that we fought the good fight and finished the race; we'd like to have finished it first, but we stayed in until the race was over.

But I think, more importantly, we've kept the faith. And that for me has been the most important goal of all. I'd rather lose an election than lose the principles that got me into politics in the first place.

For all of the conservatives of this country and party who want less government and who want what government they have to be a little more efficient, a little more effective, a little less filled with corruption, and a whole lot filled with the kind of competence that we pay for, I also believe that there are people out there for whom I hope I've given a voice, and that's the people who believe that we need to really overhaul our tax system and implement the Fair Tax and get rid of the IRS.

And I believe that we've given voice to folks who are single moms and those guys who are out there working two shifts trying to make sure they can just keep the rent paid and put food on the table for their families. All across this country, we've stood at rallies and I have looked into the faces of amazing people who love their country, who cherish their families, who work very hard at their jobs, who worship God, and who give very sacrificially to others, even when it would be very easy for them to keep their time and their money totally to themselves.
But they know that's not what made America a great country. It's giving that did.

Well, we'll go home tonight and hopefully bring our team together for the transition. We'll be working on doing everything we can to help Mayor Giuliani and to help our party, to help those who run for the Senate and the Congress, because there are many battles this year that we need not just to fight; we need to win them, for our country's sake and our future's sake.
It's time for us to hit the reset button. Sometimes when the computer stalls, that's what you do: You hit the reset button.

But in doing so, we also recognize the extraordinary privilege that we've had and the amazing people who have been there for the journey.

We aren't going away completely. We want to be a part of helping to keep the issues alive that have kept us in this race.

And, by the way, I know there were many who thought we wouldn't make it to March '07, much less March '08. And we've done so because so many of you worked beyond your capacity and gave in ways I can't even begin to imagine.

Neither my wife nor I have the words to say, "Thanks." We can only thank you with hopefully our future actions, that we will work hard for our country, we will work hard for our party and the nominee, because we love this country and that's why we got in.

And until our country is all that we hope and pray it to be, we won't be able to walk away completely.

And now we join with Mayor Giuliani and the rest in our party to continue that battle, to continue that fight, not for who gets elected, but for what we do in maintaining liberty and freedom when we get elected and when our country's flag still waves proudly on the wall.

Thank you, folks. God bless you. We love you. And thank you very, very much for going the journey with us. Thank you."
HST1948

« Reply #127 on: May 12, 2012, 06:50:50 PM »

Giuliani Victory Speech in Santa Fe, New Mexico

"Thank you. I am very grateful for the broad support you have given our campaign. And I am very pleased to note that tonight, my friends, we have won enough delegates to claim with confidence, humility and a sense of great responsibility that I will be the Republican nominee for President of the United States.

I want to thank my family: my wife, my children, and our dear friends who have been throughout this campaign, and will remain in the challenging months ahead, an unwavering source of support and love.

America is at war in two countries, and involved in a long and difficult fight with violent extremists who despise us, our values and modernity itself. It is of little use to Americans for their candidates to avoid the many complex challenges of these struggles by re-litigating decisions of the past. I will defend the decision to destroy Saddam Hussein's regime as I criticized the failed tactics that were employed for too long to establish the conditions that will allow us to leave that country with our country's interests secure and our honor intact. But Americans know that the next President doesn't get to re-make that decision. We are in Iraq and our most vital security interests are clearly involved there. The next President must explain how he or she intends to bring that war to the swiftest possible conclusion without exacerbating a sectarian conflict that could quickly descend into genocide; destabilizing the entire Middle East; enabling our adversaries in the region to extend their influence and undermine our security there; and emboldening terrorists to attack us elsewhere with weapons we dare not allow them to possess.

The next President must encourage the greater participation and cooperation of our allies in the fight against al Qaeda and the Taliban in Afghanistan.

The next President must lead an effort to restructure our military, our intelligence, our diplomacy and all relevant branches of government to combat Islamic extremism, encourage the vast majority of moderates to win the battle for the soul of Islam, and meet the many other rising challenges in this changing world.

I will leave it to my opponent to argue that we should abrogate trade treaties, and pretend the global economy will go away and Americans can secure our future by trading and investing only among ourselves. We will campaign in favor of seizing the opportunities presented by the growth of free markets throughout the world, helping displaced workers acquire new and lasting employment and educating our children to prepare them for the new economic realities by giving parents choices about their children's education they do not have now.

I will leave it to my opponent to claim that they can keep companies and jobs from going overseas by making it harder for them to do business here at home. We will campaign to strengthen job growth in America by helping businesses become more competitive with lower taxes and less regulation.

I will leave it to my opponent to propose returning to the failed, big government mandates of the sixties and seventies to address problems such as the lack of health care insurance for some Americans. I will campaign to make health care more accessible to more Americans with reforms that will bring down costs in the health care industry down without ruining the quality of the world's best medical care.

And I will campaign to reduce our dangerous dependence on foreign oil with an energy policy that encourages American industry and technology to make our country safer, cleaner and more prosperous by leading the world in the use, development and discovery of alternative sources of energy.

These are some of the challenges that confront us. There are others just as urgent, and during this campaign I'll travel across the country in cities and rural areas, in communities of all ethnic backgrounds and income levels, offering my ideas and listening to the concerns and advice of Americans. Americans aren't interested in an election where they are just talked to and not listened to; an election that offers platitudes instead of principles and insults instead of ideas; an election that results -- no matter who wins -- in four years of unkept promises and a government that is just a battleground for the next election. Their patience is at an end for politicians who value ambition over principle, and for partisanship that is less a contest of ideas than an uncivil brawl over the spoils of power.

Nothing is inevitable in America. We are the captains of our fate. We're not a country that prefers nostalgia to optimism; a country that would rather go back than forward. We're the world's leader, and leaders don't pine for the past and dread the future. We make the future better than the past. We don't hide from history. We make history. That, my friends, is the essence of hope in America, hope built on courage, and faith in the values and principles that have made us great. I intend to make my stand on those principles and chart a course for our future greatness, and trust in the judgment of the people I have served all my life. So stand up with me, my friends, stand up and fight for America -- for her strength, her ideals, and her future. The contest begins tonight. It will have its ups and downs. But we will fight every minute of every day to make certain we have a government that is as capable, wise, brave and decent as the great people we serve. That is our responsibility and I will not let you down."
HST1948

« Reply #128 on: May 12, 2012, 07:03:10 PM »
« Edited: April 21, 2016, 02:33:03 PM by HST1948 »

The Official 2008 Primary Results

2008 Democratic Primary

Popular Vote
Hillary Clinton 47.5%- McGreevey 46.9%

2008 Republican Nomination

Popular Vote
Giuliani 45.4%- Brownback 40.0%- Paul 6.7%- Romney 4.8%

Gallup Post Primary National Polling
Giuliani 47%- McGreevey 44%

June Aggregate State Polling

This Concludes Part 1 of The Confession. Part 2 Will Cover the General Election Between Mayor Giuliani and Governor McGreevey!
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #129 on: May 12, 2012, 07:04:54 PM »

This is a great timeline. Cheesy

Will you be continuing it beyond the 2008 election (until at least 2012?)
HST1948

« Reply #130 on: May 12, 2012, 07:14:16 PM »

This is a great timeline. Cheesy

Will you be continuing it beyond the 2008 election (until at least 2012?)

Absolutely! Things have been hectic lately so its been taking me a while to update but I plan on going at least until 2012. 
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #131 on: May 13, 2012, 03:16:55 PM »

I really hope McGreevey comes out around March or April, and "confesses" in a major authentic speech, analgous to Obama's speech about race after Jeremiah Wright. And McGreevey still becomes the nominee, and his general election opponent is... Brownback.

I can tell you that McGreevey's speech will certainly be authentic, but I haven't quite decided when it will happen.  I know the circumstances that lead to his "confession", I just haven't decided when yet.  And, don't worry I have some plans for Brownback's future in politics as well.  I'll try not to disappoint Smiley

Wait, he hasn't come out yet?  Sorry, I just assumed he had.  Keep up the great work as always!
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #132 on: May 13, 2012, 03:31:47 PM »

So is Rudy the Presumptive Nominee?  And can we see Bill Weld or Pataki come out of retirement for a senate campaign?  Please... Wink

I hadn't thought of Weld, but that's not a bad idea.

He's one of my few non-Ron Paul political heroes Wink.  I think he was cheated out of the GOP nomination for governor in 06 and I think he could've won senate or governor, but for Pataki and Rudy's indecision in 2010
HST1948

« Reply #133 on: May 13, 2012, 08:13:55 PM »

I really hope McGreevey comes out around March or April, and "confesses" in a major authentic speech, analgous to Obama's speech about race after Jeremiah Wright. And McGreevey still becomes the nominee, and his general election opponent is... Brownback.

I can tell you that McGreevey's speech will certainly be authentic, but I haven't quite decided when it will happen.  I know the circumstances that lead to his "confession", I just haven't decided when yet.  And, don't worry I have some plans for Brownback's future in politics as well.  I'll try not to disappoint Smiley

Wait, he hasn't come out yet?  Sorry, I just assumed he had.  Keep up the great work as always!

Nope he hasn't come out yet, I'm saving that one for later.  Will do and thanks!
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I like Weld too and will see if I can't fit him into my timeline!
retromike22
United States

« Reply #134 on: August 10, 2013, 05:14:28 PM »

Update!
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #135 on: August 10, 2013, 05:25:57 PM »

What is this?
HST1948

« Reply #136 on: April 21, 2016, 02:52:06 PM »

Hey y'all so I know this hasn't been posted on in a long time (I got busy with with grad school), but I was reading this the other day and thought I'd pick up where I left off! I hope you all enjoy!

Turning To The General Election
Update: With their respective nominations in hand, attention at both the McGreevey and Guiliani camps turned toward the general election. The first matter of business was selecting their respective running mates.

The Short Lists for VP

The Democrats: McGreevey/___________

Senator Barack Obama of Illinois
Former House Majority Leader Dick Gephardt of Missouri
Senator Russ Feingold of Wisconsin
Governor Tim Kaine of Virginia
Governor Kathleen Sebelius of Kansas
Governor Bill Richardson of New Mexico
Senator Jack Reed of Rhode Island
Senator Chris Dodd of Connecticut

The Republicans: Giuliani/___________

Former Governor Mitt Romney of Massachusetts
Governor Mark Sanford of South Carolina
Governor Charlie Crist of Florida
Former Senator Bill Frist of Tennessee
Governor Tim Pawlenty of Minnesota
Governor Bobby Jindal of Louisiana
Representative Eric Cantor of Virginia

On both the Republican and Democratic sides, the candiades initial top choices for Vice President (Hillary Clinton for the Democrats and Condoleezza Rice for the Republicans) had publicly denied interest and declined to be vetted for the position.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #137 on: April 21, 2016, 03:13:24 PM »

Can't wait to see this continue!
HST1948

« Reply #138 on: April 21, 2016, 05:54:04 PM »

July 7th, 2008: The General Election Campaign Begins

CNN Election Center: Hillary and Bill Clinton Join Governor McGreevey in Duluth, Minnesota

Wolf Blitzer: In an effort to unite the party as we approach the DNC in Denver in just over a month, Hillary and Bill Clinton have come together to endorse Governor McGreevey for president of the United States. We go live now to a McGreevey Rally in Duluth, Minnesota where he is joined by Hillary and Bill Clinton for the first time since securing the Democratic Nomination.

"During these past six months I have had the extreme privilege to travel across this great country of ours and lay out my plan for America. During this time I have also had the incredible opportunity to hear Senator Clinton's vision for America... and I can say without a doubt that it is truly an incredible vision. I am thankful everyday for the debate that Hillary and I had over the past six months. I am thankful because it has made us a stronger, better party... and even more so a stronger, better country where, as Hillary puts it, everyone will have the opportunity to live up to his or her God Given potential. I would like to invite my friends Senator Hillary Clinton and President Bill Clinton to the stage!" Governor James McGreevey 
HST1948

« Reply #139 on: April 23, 2016, 01:44:17 PM »

Fox News: Giuliani Picks Former Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-TN) For VP
Shepard Smith: We now have some breaking news regarding the Presidential Race! Rudy Giuliani has selected former Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist of Tennessee to be his running mate. We now will go live to Manchester New Hampshire where Senator Frist has just taken the stage!

Bill Frist VP Announcement Speech, Manchester, New Hampshire

"I am honored to have been chosen by mayor Giuliani to be the Republican nominee for Vice President of the United States of America. I accept the duty to help lead our nation out of a jobs crisis and back to prosperity – and I know we can do this. I accept the calling of my generation to give our children the America that was given to us, with opportunity for the young and security for the old – and I know that we are ready.

Our nominee is sure ready. His whole life has prepared him for this moment – to meet serious challenges in a serious way, without excuses and idle words. From combatting crime in New York City to leading the relief efforts after September, 11th Mayor Giuliani has shown the courage and dedicated leadership that this great country of ours deserves.

When Mayor Giuliani asked me to join the ticket, I said, "Let's get this done" – and that is exactly, what we're going to do…"
HST1948

« Reply #140 on: April 23, 2016, 03:37:02 PM »
« Edited: April 24, 2016, 07:14:02 PM by HST1948 »

CNN Breaking News: McGreevey Picks Former House Majority Leader Dick Gephardt (D-MO) As Running Mate
Anderson Cooper: In a surprise move, Governor and presumptive Democratic Presidential Nominee Mcreevey has selected Former House Majority Leader and 1988 and 2004 Democratic Presidential Candidate Dick Gephardt to be his running mate on the Democratic Ticket. Unofficial reports have rumored that the final pick came down to Senator Barack Obama and Mr. Gephardt. The ultimate consideration that with McGreevey being a young candidate his campaign wanted to have someone with decades of experience, and a good relationship with the Democratic establishment, on the ticket. We now go live to St. Louis where Governor McGreevey and Former House Majority Leader Dick Gephardt will be speaking momentarily.

RedPrometheus

« Reply #141 on: April 23, 2016, 03:44:06 PM »

It's back! I just saw it now but I'm really glad! Keep it up Smiley
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #142 on: April 23, 2016, 04:52:20 PM »

Candy Crowley: Anderson you can just feel the excrement here at McGreevey the McGreevey headquarters. And it looks like the governor just walked out.  Lets take a listen.
Interesting?
HST1948

« Reply #143 on: April 23, 2016, 05:13:04 PM »

Pre-Convention Polling (August, 2008)

National: Giuliani/Frist 48%- McGreevey/Gephardt 44%

Swing States:
New Hampshire: Giuliani 48%- McGreevey 45%
Pennsylvania: McGreevey 49%- Giuliani 47%
Ohio: McGreevey 46%- Giuliani 45%
Virginia: McGreevey 48%-Giuliani 48%
Florida: Giuliani 49%- McGreevey 46%
Wisconsin: McGreevey 50%- Giuliani 47%
Iowa: McGreevey 49%- Giuliani 48%
Missouri: McGreevey 49%- Giuliani 46%
Coloarado: Giuliani 50%- McGreevey 46%
HST1948

« Reply #144 on: August 14, 2016, 03:33:20 PM »

Welcome To Minneapolis: The 2008 Republican National Convention
Key Note Speaker: Alaska Governor Sarah Palin

"It was just a year ago when all the experts in Washington counted out our nominee because he refused to hedge his commitment to the security of the country he loves.

With their usual certitude, they told us that all was lost, there was no hope for this candidate, who said that he would rather lose an election than see his country lose a war. But the pollsters... The pollsters and the pundits, they overlooked just one thing when they wrote him off. They overlooked the caliber of the man himself, the determination, and resolve, and the sheer guts of May Rudy Giuliani.

The voters knew better, and maybe that's because they realized there's a time for politics and a time for leadership, a time to campaign and a time to put our country first...".

2008 Presidential Candidate and Kansas Senator Sam Brownback

2008 Presidential Candidate and Former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney

HST1948

« Reply #145 on: August 14, 2016, 03:45:13 PM »

Former Senate Majority Leader and VP Nominee, Bill Frist

"Fourteen years ago, on my first day as a senator, my dad, a family doctor in Tennessee for 50 years, paid me a visit.

As we sat in my new office, he said: "Son, the nameplate on your door reads William Frist. Always remember you're a doctor. You're committed to healing and helping people. It really should read, William Frist, M.D."

Well, today the nameplate on the door of my Capitol office reads just that: William Frist, M.D. It's a constant reminder of my dad's advice: to work each day to better the life of every individual American.And that, my friends, is what Rudy Giuliani has done -- particularly when when you need it.

This victory for our party, is part of a larger battle we're fighting on behalf of every American. How we do so is crucial. Our opponents have a way of confusing compassion with dependency. We believe true compassion encourages and empowers Americans to be responsible and take control of their own lives. That's what republicans  have done time and time again.

So here's the choice: Do we grow the bureaucracy and gouge you with higher taxes, as Mr. McGreevy will do, or do we let the American people grow their own success and their own prosperity as the Republicans want to do?
We've made our choice.

But I'll tell you what Governor McGreevy’s prescription will be: Take a handful of tax increases and don't call me in the morning.

My friends, I'm so proud of our Mayor Giuliani’s record. He's making the United States safer and more prosperous. He's uniting ownership and opportunity for millions. And he is looking to the future.

He has a vision to harness America's awesome potential, through the power of our technologies, the strength of our sciences, the efficiency of our enterprises, and the highest aspirations of our people.
But only one candidate will lead us there: Rudy Giuliani.

Fellow citizens, on November 2nd, there is only one choice for a stronger, for a healthier and freer America – Rudy Giuliani".
HST1948

« Reply #146 on: August 14, 2016, 03:57:40 PM »

2008 Republican Presidential Nominee: Mayor Rudy Giuliani (R-NY)

"Thank you… thank you! God bless all of you! I am honored to accept the Republican nomination for President of the United States.

In the decade, there have been major Islamic extremist terrorists’ attacks on us and our allies. We must not be afraid to define our enemy.

It is Islamic extremist terrorism. I did not say all of Islam. I said Islamic extremist terrorism.
Failing to identify them properly maligns decent Muslims around the world. It also sets up a fear of being politically incorrect that can have serious consequences. And it has. This is why our enemies see us as weak and vulnerable.

To defeat Islamic extremist terrorism we must put them on defense. If they are at war against us—which they have declared—we must commit ourselves to unconditional victory against them.

I will make sure that any agreement with Iran meets the original goals of the U.N and our allies: a non-nuclear Iran. I am a leader and I will reassert America’s position as the nation with the best values to lead the world.

I will secure our borders. My opponent has had a chance to make himself clear on this and he has failed. Jim McGreevy is for open borders.

Washington needs a complete turnaround and I am is the agent of change and he will be the leader of the change we need.

A vote for me is a vote for a safer America and for an America headed for greatness! God Bless the United States of America".
HST1948

« Reply #147 on: August 14, 2016, 04:03:01 PM »

CNN: Post RNC Polling Shows Big Bump for Giuliani/Frist

CNN Poll
Giuliain/Frist: 50%
McGreevey/ Gephardt: 42%
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #148 on: August 14, 2016, 04:07:45 PM »

Just read this all - good work! Go McGreevey/Gephardt!
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #149 on: August 14, 2016, 08:26:27 PM »

This is AWESOME! Please include more McGreevey and Golan late night stories please Tongue
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies