BNP Leader to stand in Keighley
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:46:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  BNP Leader to stand in Keighley
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: BNP Leader to stand in Keighley  (Read 2525 times)
scorpiogurl
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 10, 2005, 02:48:08 PM »

I have heard that Nick Griffin is going to stand for parliament in the Keighley constituency. Is this significant constituency for him to stand in? Surely he has no chance of winning it..........but he may have an effect on the final outcome. I believe labour won it narrowly last time!!!
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 02:56:29 PM »

Have the BNP been stirring up racial trouble in this part of the world recently? They generally stand high profile candidates such as Griffin in seats where they have been stirring things up.

Last times result:

Lab - 20,888
Con - 16,883
LD - 4,722
UKIP - 840

I don't think there are enough votes out there for the BNP to swing the result to the Tories, but it just might happen if they take loads of working class, white Labour voters, which would nominally be their aim.
scorpiogurl
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 03:33:53 PM »

I am unaware of any direct agitation by the BNP in Keighley or any successes they may have had in local elections there.

As far as I understand, Keighley is a racially mixed town in West Yorkshire, just up the road from Bradford and just over the pennines from Burnley.......where I am aware of a BNP prescence.

I was just wondering why he didn't stand in either Oldham or Burnley give the recent history there!!! Anyway....let us hope his intervention is fruitless.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 04:19:16 PM »

Griffin stood as a council candidate in Royton (a suburb of Oldham) a while back and got stuffed and the BNP's antics on Burnley Council haven't exactly endeared them to most voters.

Think of the BNP as a vampire and Keighley as a fresh neck
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 04:21:26 PM »

I wish a BNP-like party would spring up in the US; a lot of hicks would leave the GOP.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2005, 07:08:00 AM »

I am unaware of any direct agitation by the BNP in Keighley or any successes they may have had in local elections there.

As far as I understand, Keighley is a racially mixed town in West Yorkshire, just up the road from Bradford and just over the pennines from Burnley.......where I am aware of a BNP prescence.

I was just wondering why he didn't stand in either Oldham or Burnley give the recent history there!!! Anyway....let us hope his intervention is fruitless.

Keighley's MP is Ann Cryer, mother of John Cryer (Hornchurch). She's quite leftwing.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2005, 08:35:30 AM »

Surprised he didn’t run in Dewberry myself, Shahid Malik perhaps the most prominent Muslim in the Labour Party is standing there while the Tory candidate is also Asian, would seem fertile ground for mindless racism to me… that said Malik will cruise it IMHO. 
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2005, 08:45:09 AM »

Surprised he didn’t run in Dewberry myself, Shahid Malik perhaps the most prominent Muslim in the Labour Party is standing there while the Tory candidate is also Asian, would seem fertile ground for mindless racism to me… that said Malik will cruise it IMHO. 

Dewsbury is traditionally stronger territory for Labour than Keighley (pronounced Keithlee. More or less)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2005, 08:11:12 AM »

Me and my australian eyes were skipping the h, I was saying it "Caylee". If you hadn't told me, and I spotted the h, it would probably have been "Caflee".
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies