Nathan: Elected public office holder.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:55:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Nathan: Elected public office holder.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Nathan: Elected public office holder.  (Read 8781 times)
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 09, 2012, 02:34:31 PM »
« edited: April 11, 2012, 11:59:46 PM by Nathan »

My Super Tuesday precinct, Precinct 3 of Amherst, had twenty voters, including me, filtering into the Immanuel Lutheran Church in North Amherst over the span of about ten or eleven hours. The town votes eighty per cent Democratic and the precinct is mostly university students who don't bother (though I was surprised there weren't more than twenty on account of at least the Paul people); I stayed for about half an hour after voting because the old people running the precinct were lonely. I wrote in my mother for the Democratic Presidential primary, voted for the candidate for state committeeman who lives in Amherst rather than in Northampton, and voted for the whole slate of Democratic town office candidates except for that guy and his wife. I was also told that I could win election to the town meeting in my precinct with like two or three write-in votes. And one of my friends is also registered in this precinct.

I'm in. In a month's time it's very possible I'll be an elected official.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 02:38:00 PM »

I was also told that I could win election to the town meeting in my precinct

What exactly would you be doing in this position? I'm not very familiar with Massachusetts' town system.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 02:44:12 PM »

What exactly would you be doing in this position? I'm not very familiar with Massachusetts' town system.

It's like student council, but with adults and it's a town.

(More seriously, it's like a mini-parliament for a town, with between 50 and 240 members.  Some towns have open town meetings, which mean that anyone who shows up gets to be a member).
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 02:48:17 PM »
« Edited: March 09, 2012, 04:36:23 PM by Nathan »

I'd attend a series of evening meetings in the late spring and early summer. I'd be voting on budget and by-law propositions from the professional, full-time parts of the town government (the select board, that I mentioned endorsing the entire Democratic slate for except the person I'd already voted for for something else and his wife), as well as petitions from the public. One of the petitions this year is a resolution that the Town of Amherst does not consider corporations persons beyond the strictest legal fiction sense; inevitably someone will argue that this is not a matter of local concern (the furthest right rhetoric ever gets here), at which point I will probably ask how it's not a matter of local concern that Bank of America is progressively buying out the university campus. I believe that 'purely symbolic' does not mean 'not germane to the community' in this case.

The town meeting system in Massachusetts isn't (usually) a direct democracy like it is in Vermont but it is very representative since Amherst has about fifteen thousand registered voters, maybe a couple thousand more, and there are 240 members of the town meeting. That's why turnout in the precincts that include the university is low enough that I can become one of the twenty-four Precinct 3 members on the basis of write-ins from a couple of my friends.

(I do, incidentally, intend to take this seriously if/when elected.)
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 02:55:34 PM »
« Edited: March 09, 2012, 10:13:41 PM by greenforest32 »

Interesting. So is this like a level of government below the official city/town council or is it some kind of supplement/power-sharing agreement?

What happens if the town meeting opposes a town council ordinance or vice versa? Who has supremacy/veto power?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 02:58:28 PM »

That's not actually "representative" at all if some random bloke can get elected by getting his girlfriend/boyfriend to vote for him.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 02:59:48 PM »
« Edited: March 09, 2012, 04:36:01 PM by Nathan »

Interesting. So is this like a level a government below the official city/town council or is it some kind of supplement/power-sharing agreement?

What happens if the town meeting opposes a town council ordinance or vice versa? Who has supremacy/veto power?

Think of it as the select board being the executive and the town meeting being the legislature. The town meeting can veto select board propositions but most of what originates from the town meeting is binding unless there's some sort of overwhelming reason why it just can't be done. If the town meeting doesn't do anything in some area then the work of the select board just carries over from the previous year.

That's not actually "representative" at all if some random bloke can get elected by getting his girlfriend/boyfriend to vote for him.

Clearly. The immensely low turnout in Precincts 2, 3, and 9 is actually in my opinion a huge problem. I don't want to be able to be elected to the town meeting by being asked by desperate precinct operators and pestering a couple of my friends. I'm still going to take advantage of the fact that I am because unlike seemingly all of the other gownies I care a lot about the town but if I can make it so that this won't keep happening then I will.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 03:55:32 PM »

Will you tell us your exact swearing in date (or close as possible) so we can keep an accurate record of your political career? I think this makes like three people to hold positions other than things like delegate.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 04:26:09 PM »
« Edited: March 09, 2012, 04:34:36 PM by Nathan »

Will you tell us your exact swearing in date (or close as possible) so we can keep an accurate record of your political career? I think this makes like three people to hold positions other than things like delegate.

If elected I promise to keep the Forum Community board regularly updated on my service and on local politics in general (assuming anybody here is interested in the way smallish college towns in New England govern themselves except those of us who live in them).

Election is April 3,  the town is given some indication as to who is going to be in the town meeting on April 10 (I'll probably be notified before then if I get on it), and the first actual, well, meeting is April 30, which I imagine is when I'll be sworn in (or equivalent).
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 12:00:52 AM »

Town Clerk Sandra J. Burgess is pleased to inform me that I received a sufficient number of write-in votes at the April 3, 2012 Annual Town Election to elect me to town meeting for a one year term in Precinct 3. I'm to respond in writing by Friday. I've indicated my acceptance on the attached memo and will try to be bringing it down to town hall on the morrow.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 12:09:52 AM »

It may be "cheap", but it's still pretty freaking cool IMHO.  Congrats.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 12:16:27 AM »

As with anyone here who gains any sort of power, I ask that you use whatever influence you have to promote the values of the Atlas forum to the fullest extent of your position.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 12:27:50 AM »

It may be "cheap", but it's still pretty freaking cool IMHO.  Congrats.

As Dead0man says, congratulations!
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 12:32:19 AM »

As with anyone here who gains any sort of power, I ask that you use whatever influence you have to promote the values of the Atlas forum to the fullest extent of your position.
but he said he cares about his town Tongue
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 05:15:44 AM »

Nathan for President!
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 05:24:59 AM »

Congratulations, Nathan. Smiley

I trust you will exploit your position to further the aims of the Atlas, one forum under Leip, hallelujah, hallelujah.

PS: Can you hook me up with free cranberries? They're for a friend. PM me.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 07:05:44 AM »

Welcome to the world of public office!
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 02:16:21 PM »

I'm told I'm the youngest person to hold public office at any level in Massachusetts in some time, which is also exciting.

Oakvale, I'll see what I can do. I'm at the other end of the Commonwealth from the bogs, but we've got a lot of apple orchards and dairy farms if that helps, and I'm sure I can make a trip to the East if it's for Atlas Forum.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2012, 02:25:39 PM »

Congrats!
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2012, 03:24:42 PM »

I'm told I'm the youngest person to hold public office at any level in Massachusetts in some time, which is also exciting.

Oakvale, I'll see what I can do. I'm at the other end of the Commonwealth from the bogs, but we've got a lot of apple orchards and dairy farms if that helps, and I'm sure I can make a trip to the East if it's for Atlas Forum.
How old are you?  You could be a congressman one day.  Somebody from this forum needs to become a member of Congress in the future.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2012, 03:37:29 PM »

How old are you?  You could be a congressman one day.  Somebody from this forum needs to become a member of Congress in the future.

The first Congressional election I'll be eligible in will be 2018. I'd actually like to stay in municipal politics for a while if I even do do anything political, but I've had the Massachusetts General Court pitched hard to future-me by people in the Pioneer Valley who are actually in it (mainly Stan Rosenberg), so that's a possibility. I'm not sure I'd like the exposure that would come with federal or statewide office.
I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2012, 03:39:16 PM »

Congrats!!!!!! Thats awesome Nathan! Smiley
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2012, 05:19:38 PM »

Congratulations- you are a very kind and fair person and the type of person who SHOULD be elected
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2012, 05:49:17 PM »

Clarence, Klecly, et al.: Thank you very much. I appreciate your kindness.

NVTownsend: Oh, there will be stories, I'm sure. We're arguing about corporate personhood this year. Inevitably somebody will argue that it's not germane to local issues, and a sh**tstorm will ensue.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2012, 06:29:09 PM »

Yeeha! We've really gotta get the atlas Super PAC TrueFedralist proposed underway. Congrats man.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies