Black Clergy Group to Demand Romney Renounce Mormonism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:15:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Black Clergy Group to Demand Romney Renounce Mormonism
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Black Clergy Group to Demand Romney Renounce Mormonism  (Read 5567 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 10, 2012, 11:08:49 AM »

So many demands, so little time.  

Hey guys, the Utah primary has not occurred yet. At least let Mittens secure the delegates there first, before he becomes an Episcopalian (the religion his wife was raised in I think). Is that OK with you?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 11:48:38 AM »

Yes, Mitt Romney needs Christ.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 12:18:30 PM »

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 12:50:59 PM »

Complete ignorance of the Mormon faith runs rampant amongst the closed minded, including amongst closed minded preachers.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 01:20:39 PM »

Complete ignorance of the Mormon faith runs rampant amongst the closed minded, including amongst closed minded preachers.

Considering the racist origins of Mormonism, for blacks to be opposed to Mormonism is hardly closed-minded, but rather an appreciation of history.  For those who hope to end the solid black voting block for the Democrats, having Romney as the standard-bearer of the Republicans is not going to do anything to advance that.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 01:28:17 PM »

Perhaps Santorum should renounce Catholicism because the Catholics tortured and burned at the stake those they considered to be "heretics" centuries ago.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 01:54:14 PM »

Catholicism never claimed to have direct divine revelation that blacks would never be admitted to the priesthood.  Yes Mormonism later had a later revelation to reverse that policy (tho it took until 1978!) but like Romney himself, the Mormon church's changes in policy over the years have appeared to be based more upon expediency than any other factor.  Unlike Romney, the Mormon church has claimed its policies are divinely inspired.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 01:58:30 PM »

As a liberal I have no problem with Mormonism even if it seems cranky and heretical to me. I have a problem with religion in politics when people shamelessly exploit it in an 'Believe it or burn' mode on politics.

Anyone who votes for President Obama because Mitt Romney is a Mormon or because Rick Santorum is a Catholic votes for the President for the wrong reasons. We need to ask what is good for America instead of what is comfortable for our view of the world. Now if someone votes for President Obama because either Mitt Romney or Rick Santorum offers no viable solutions, then one has a valid cause for voting for the President.

Of course I would never vote for a $cientologist (a fundamentally dishonest world-view), let alone a Satanist.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 02:08:37 PM »

As a liberal I have no problem with Mormonism even if it seems cranky and heretical to me.

lol
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 02:14:03 PM »

I'll agree with that pb  And the LDS Church has tried these past three decades to overcome its shameful past on this issue, for which I commend it..  However, while his faith is not why I do not like Romney, the fact is it will be a significant factor for some groups, and for Blacks in general, and Black evangelicals in particular, the history of the LDS church with regard to "the children of Cain" will be a major stumbling point.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 02:14:47 PM »

As a liberal I have no problem with Mormonism even if it seems cranky and heretical to me. I have a problem with religion in politics when people shamelessly exploit it in an 'Believe it or burn' mode on politics.

Anyone who votes for President Obama because Mitt Romney is a Mormon or because Rick Santorum is a Catholic votes for the President for the wrong reasons. We need to ask what is good for America instead of what is comfortable for our view of the world. Now if someone votes for President Obama because either Mitt Romney or Rick Santorum offers no viable solutions, then one has a valid cause for voting for the President.

Of course I would never vote for a $cientologist (a fundamentally dishonest world-view), let alone a Satanist.

So if a Mormon were a nominee and you believed they were the best person and the most qualified to be President, you would vote for them even though you believed their faith to be cranky and heretical?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 03:10:17 PM »

I demand that Romney renounce his American citizenship instead.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 03:39:05 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The Mormons only lifted the ban in 1978.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 03:52:51 PM »

Rev. O’Neal Dozier and I rarely agree on much, but I think it should send a clear message that when I, a pro-abortion, pro-forced gay marriage atheist, and Rev. Dozier can come together on an issue like this, our cause is probably just and right.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 04:13:20 PM »

Rev. O’Neal Dozier and I rarely agree on much, but I think it should send a clear message that when I, a pro-abortion, pro-forced gay marriage atheist, and Rev. Dozier can come together on an issue like this, our cause is probably just and right.

Not really.  The "enemy of my enemy is my friend" meme rarely works well in real life.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2012, 04:16:38 PM »

The cause is never just and right when those throwing the stones are doing so as a result of gross misunderstanding and complete ignorance. 
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2012, 05:57:45 PM »

The cause is never just and right when those throwing the stones are doing so as a result of gross misunderstanding and complete ignorance. 

You do realize that an election is all about politics and rarely about justice, don't you?

And if you don't realize that, why haven't you been full of outrage over the deceptive attack ads that Restore Mitt's Future puts out?
I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2012, 06:02:04 PM »

Is BRTD behind these demands?

Seriously though, this is ridiculous. Enough with the hate.

I <33333 Mormons. Smiley
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2012, 07:35:48 PM »

Catholicism never claimed to have direct divine revelation that blacks would never be admitted to the priesthood.  Yes Mormonism later had a later revelation to reverse that policy (tho it took until 1978!) but like Romney himself, the Mormon church's changes in policy over the years have appeared to be based more upon expediency than any other factor.  Unlike Romney, the Mormon church has claimed its policies are divinely inspired.

No, they just authorized slavery for for a few centuries (thank you Alexander VI).  It was revoked as well, in 1993.  Tongue
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2012, 08:08:03 PM »

Well, atleast they decided to coinicide their revocation with the Emancipation Proclamation plus 130 years.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2012, 11:11:14 PM »

You do realize that an election is all about politics and rarely about justice, don't you?

And if you don't realize that, why haven't you been full of outrage over the deceptive attack ads that Restore Mitt's America's Future puts out?

It is never, ever appropriate for a Christian to demand that another Christian renounce his faith.  Mormons have not made demands that others renounce their faith.

Let me make this clear.  Mitt Romney is not going to renounce his faith, now not, not ever, just because some ill informed, radical evangelical preacher makes some stupid, ridiculous demand.

Forget it. 

The best thing Romney can do is to completely ignore this postulating, presumptuous, pompous preacher.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2012, 12:04:36 AM »

Mormons are Christians?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2012, 12:29:35 AM »

Careful! Saying anything about Mormonism short of showering the "religion" with praise is not allowed on this forum!
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2012, 06:03:56 AM »

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints?  I'd say so.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2012, 08:38:48 AM »

If he thought it would help win the nomination, I have no doubt that he would. And he would would insist that he has always been severely anti-Mormon too.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies