Paulites possibly seizing control of NV county conventions
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 12:10:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Paulites possibly seizing control of NV county conventions
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Paulites possibly seizing control of NV county conventions  (Read 7502 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2012, 06:23:09 PM »

It's called democracy.  I've been known to do things like that, so I won't complain.

I'm not complaining per se, the 2008 Democratic primaries were pretty crazy too. It's mostly interesting and funny. But it pretty clearly isn't democracy. The whole point appears to be to subvert democracy.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2012, 06:26:48 PM »

Does this mean that Paulites are now in charge of the 2012 GOP general election campaign in Clark County? Because that's terrific news.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2012, 06:30:17 PM »

More Ninja Delegate reports; these are all from Iowa:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2012, 06:33:19 PM »

What's the point of this, though? There's clearly not going to be the much-hyped "brokered" convention, so Romney will be nominated on the first ballot anyway.

While it is practically impossible for someone else to clinch a first ballot by now, Romney is not yet guaranteed a first ballot win.  If Romney fails to show up in Tampa with a majority locked down, the Republicans may yet end up with an eleventh hour dark horse to run against Obama.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2012, 06:37:40 PM »

I hate Ron Paul Supporters more then Paul himself. These people are pretty much a cult, and need lives.

When democracy fails, resort to the tactics YOU GUYS claim are "establishment" and dirty.

I really wish every state had winner take all in the primaries...

As if the silly results that came out of Nevada qualify as even remotely representative of "democracy"
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2012, 06:38:57 PM »

What's the point of this, though? There's clearly not going to be the much-hyped "brokered" convention, so Romney will be nominated on the first ballot anyway.
$10,000 bet?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2012, 06:39:33 PM »

A lot of these states have the delegates being decided by the county conventions, not the straw poll (Iowa comes to mind), so hypothetically Paul could turn it into a brokered convention by winning a bunch of delegates in such states this way. I may be way off, but I recall somewhere between 500-800 delegates are decided in these conventions, which are more than enough to screw over Romney should Santorum not fail in the meantime.

Eh, Paul's best case scenario in capturing RNC delegates through stealth caucus delegates is lower than that. Let's assume that he manages to win 100% of delegates in all the caucus/convention states where the straw poll is NOT binding:

Iowa +25
Colorado +33
Minnesota +37
Maine +21
Washington +40
Missouri +49
Nebraska +32

Total = 246

And even with entryism and stealth delegates I have a hard time seeing Paul doing that well in some of those states (like Missouri and Colorado). It's unfortunate for him that a lot of his best states, where it would have been much easier to take control of the conventions (like Alaska, North Dakota, Montana) are either proportionally bound to the straw vote (AK, ND) or smoke-filled rooms (MT).
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2012, 06:41:46 PM »

To those saying that Paul and his supporters don't care about democracy:
If Ron Paul won Nevada but the GOP could deny Paul any delegates within the rules, do you doubt for a second that they would do it? We have them and they hate us. We don't care about their sham "democracy".
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2012, 07:06:17 PM »

A lot of these states have the delegates being decided by the county conventions, not the straw poll (Iowa comes to mind), so hypothetically Paul could turn it into a brokered convention by winning a bunch of delegates in such states this way. I may be way off, but I recall somewhere between 500-800 delegates are decided in these conventions, which are more than enough to screw over Romney should Santorum not fail in the meantime.

Eh, Paul's best case scenario in capturing RNC delegates through stealth caucus delegates is lower than that. Let's assume that he manages to win 100% of delegates in all the caucus/convention states where the straw poll is NOT binding:

Iowa +25
Colorado +33
Minnesota +37
Maine +21
Washington +40
Missouri +49
Nebraska +32

Total = 246

And even with entryism and stealth delegates I have a hard time seeing Paul doing that well in some of those states (like Missouri and Colorado). It's unfortunate for him that a lot of his best states, where it would have been much easier to take control of the conventions (like Alaska, North Dakota, Montana) are either proportionally bound to the straw vote (AK, ND) or smoke-filled rooms (MT).

He doesn't need to win or even come second/third, he just needs to stop Romney from getting a majority. If Santorum doesn't flounder in the next couple of weeks, he can win enough states that it becomes brokered, at which point the Paul delegates that went for other candidates come out of the woodwork to screw with the GOP's policies.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2012, 07:07:31 PM »

Ralston says the Paulites have taken over the whole GOP Clark County Executive Board.

More on this, from a post at the Ron Paul Forums:

LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2012, 07:09:34 PM »

How many of Paul's delegates will vote for Romney when Paul tells the to?
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2012, 07:11:56 PM »

Ralston says the Paulites have taken over the whole GOP Clark County Executive Board.

More on this, from a post at the Ron Paul Forums:

LOL. Ron Paul's Ninja Delegates are bound to fail but they sure will cause the Republican establishment a lot of headaches along the way.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2012, 07:19:13 PM »

I refuse to take Paul or the Paulites seriously until they can win a real election (aka a primary).
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2012, 08:17:59 PM »

Pauls folks are essentially stuffing ballot boxes. I say, why stop there? If they really want to bully their way into the convention, why not just get some guns and hold the convention hostage until they add a "End the Fed" plank to the platform?
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2012, 08:52:29 PM »

Wait, didn't Heller vote against the PATRIOT Act and for all of Rand Paul's amendments?  In the interests of fairness.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2012, 10:50:53 PM »

Pauls folks are essentially stuffing ballot boxes. I say, why stop there? If they really want to bully their way into the convention, why not just get some guns and hold the convention hostage until they add a "End the Fed" plank to the platform?

Don't give them ideas...
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2012, 02:24:33 AM »

I don't get how they can pull this off yet fail to get a couple hundred people out in one county in Maine when they actually need it.

Paul's base of support is really weird in that about 20-40% doesn't bother to vote while the other 20-40% would stroll through a fire for him. In other words, bad for winning the publicized straw polls but great for snatching up caucus delegates.

-----

Why are you guys surprised? It was pretty obvious that this is one thing Paulites are good at, and that he's going to probably dominate the delegate selection in these caucus states.

So the 20-40% can't motivate another 100 people or so to show up to a caucus to let him win a state in the thing that actually matters to the media?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2012, 02:31:17 AM »

I hate Ron Paul Supporters more then Paul himself. These people are pretty much a cult, and need lives.

When democracy fails, resort to the tactics YOU GUYS claim are "establishment" and dirty.

I really wish every state had winner take all in the primaries...

I love Ron Paul.  I hate his supporters.  His supporters are some of the worst hacks I've ever seen.  I once showed a Paul supporter friend of mine Santorum's "Rebellion" ad, telling her it was a Paul ad at first (http://youtu.be/O3bYBkGgRCE).  She was saying how awesome it was, but then when it turned into a Santorum ad, she started saying she was just joking, and that it was really cheesy and a terrible ad.

I have no problem with Paul supporters.  But most of his supporters support him 100%.  Even I don't support Romney on 100% of his stances.  Paul supporters argue everyone else is like sheep, but in actuality, they're the most sheep-like of anybody.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2012, 02:36:10 AM »

Close to all (>95%).  They talk about everyone else being sheep, but honestly, a lot of his followers think he's close to God.  I love Ron Paul, but his supporters are largely nuts.
Paleobrazilian
Brazil

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2012, 08:27:26 AM »

Close to all (>95%).  They talk about everyone else being sheep, but honestly, a lot of his followers think he's close to God.  I love Ron Paul, but his supporters are largely nuts.

Reading the RP Forums, I actually believe many of them would NOT vote Romney, even if Paul asks them to do so - unless Romney becomes a slave of Paul's "freedom" agenda. They couldn't care less about the will of 80-85% of Republican voters around the country, and if they can't respect the will of the voters, they're in no way concerned about "liberty" or "freedom".
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2012, 08:30:58 AM »

Oh, don't worry. They'll have thought of that already. Entryists tend to plan ahead.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2012, 08:34:23 AM »

Wait, didn't Heller vote against the PATRIOT Act and for all of Rand Paul's amendments?  In the interests of fairness.
This matters to Paulites how? It's a fact. Paulites do not like facts.
phillies
Rookie

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2012, 10:08:05 AM »

With respect to #6 and evidence of such things outside Nevada, MA elected new Party Committees in its 2012 Presidential primary.  There are 80 seats on the Republican State Committee.  37 are new. A fair number of people were voted out.  Traditionally vacant seats were filled, so there are now 79 state committee people (counting a few elections being settled yet).  The conservatives of a particular sort are saying the state committee now has a strong pro-life majority but feminists and hacks are welcome to stay if they behave themselves.

I suspect such things happened in other states, but have not yet been noticed.

tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2012, 11:46:13 AM »

Reading the RP Forums, I actually believe many of them would NOT vote Romney, even if Paul asks them to do so - unless Romney becomes a slave of Paul's "freedom" agenda. They couldn't care less about the will of 80-85% of Republican voters around the country, and if they can't respect the will of the voters, they're in no way concerned about "liberty" or "freedom".

Yeah, it's not like Romney isn't doing the exact same thing in the Virgin Islands and Wyoming.  In any case, you might consider it belated revenge for Robert Taft, after he beat the eventual nominee in the popular vote 3 times, and had the nomination blatantly stolen from him 2 of those 3 times.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2012, 01:41:02 PM »

I hope they then push for marijuana legalization.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies