America's Senator
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:27:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  America's Senator
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Should this continue?
Yes

No

Maybe so

THIS KICKS ASS

THIS NEEDS TO STOP NOW!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 16

Author Topic: America's Senator  (Read 6988 times)
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 10, 2012, 04:07:28 PM »
« edited: March 11, 2012, 10:59:17 PM by Jerseyrules »

This is a TL that popped into my head this morning, drawing influence to both RougeBeaver's "Duty, Honor, Country" TL as well as "2000 and on," both on ah.com.  I hope you enjoy it Wink.  Also, Liddy Dole won her bid for Governor of North Carolina in 1996, JFK Jr. lives, and Al D'Amato won re-election in 1998 narrowly, not having made his "putz-head" remark; other than that, everything is the same as ITTL, up until now:

"I am proud to announce my candidacy for Senator.  I am eager to begin the task of cleaning up Washinton as we've done in New York these past seven years.  I look forward to the campaign ahead, and wish both Mrs. Clinton and Mr. Kennedy luck in their campaigns.  However, I will say this: experience is important, and neither Mr. Kennedy nor Mrs. Clinton has ever held public office, nor have they served in any executive roles in either business or anything else.  I believe that business experience is important, and political experience is as well when it comes to public servants.  I will now take questions...."

"We need to beat Rudy.  We need to unite as a party behind a candidate who doesn't represent what Rudy represents: the establishment.  I'll be honest, I voted for the Mayor, in all three of his bids for office.  I also voted for the First Lady's husband in both of his presidential runs.  But we need to campaign against the constant political leapfrogging that has plagued this country.  This is not extremist, this is not populism, but this is the truth.  And I have seen firsthand that New Yorkers respond well to the truth."

"I am proud to endorse my dear friend, Governor Elizabeth Dole for the Republican nomination this year.  She is a staunch conservative, a family woman, and I'm pretty sure that America would rather have a plain and honest man in the White House right about now, and they would've voted much differently than they did four years ago!  We also need to stop the petty partisanship, which cost General Powell his fifth star.  The road ahead isn't going to be easy, but it's one that I know she'll be glad to have us paving for her!  Thank you, Iowa!"

"My focus right now is on my family, and the good people of Texas.  I have no interest in galavanting around the country on a nonstop whistle-stop tour, spending 10 years working for and serving in a job I don't want to do right now.  I have no interest in seeking the Republican nomination this year, only in working hard for the people of Texas, as I believe that when you're elected to an office, you must serve out your term before seeking another one.  The people who voted for you wanted a full-time executive, not a 'do whatever I want, take up the people's time' executive.  However, I do support Liddy Dole for president, but I will not leave the state to campaign for her while the Texas legislature is in session."

Vote UKIP!
MasterSanders
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 05:52:48 PM »

A'la MasterSanders? That's the beautiful thing about alternate history: butterflies unleash all kinds of possibilities. I look forward to seeing more posts! Smiley
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 06:19:14 PM »

A'la MasterSanders? That's the beautiful thing about alternate history: butterflies unleash all kinds of possibilities. I look forward to seeing more posts! Smiley

Thank you; I should have a few more by the end of the weekend Wink
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 06:39:18 PM »
« Edited: March 11, 2012, 03:02:14 AM by Jerseyrules »

At a Town Hall in Iowa:

"We need to work for a nation which has less spending, lower taxes, and a lower national debt.  Now many on the left have painted a rosy picture of this administration's spending policy, saying that they balanced the budget.  However, the only real cuts, caps, reforms, and reductions came from the Republican Congress; public spending increased until we swept the elections of '94.  We had to hold a gun to the Slick Willy's head to get anything done!  It's us who cut spending!  We balanced the budget! And we'll keep cutting and balancing when we take back the White House in November!"  [thunderous applause]

"Today I'm announcing my candidacy for the Presidency of these United States!  We will fight the establishment, fight for universal healthcare, fight for affirmative action, fight for fair tax rates, and we will fight for equal rights for all!  Thank you, New York City!"

- Senator Paul Wellstone (D-MN)

"So what's our strategy?  We don't have her star power, or her money, and we certainly don't have her organization."
"That's what I've been thinking about.  We're going to skip Iowa.  We need-"
"To prove that we're a force to be reckoned with from the beginning."
"But we're not going to get anywhere without any delegates.  So we'll go to New Hampshire and Michigan early, setting up the groundwork there.  That way we have a head-start after Iowa."
"And Super Tuesday?"
"Our results in New Hampshire will determine where we go from there."
"Meaning...?"
"If we don't win by at least five points, there's no point in going any further."
"John McCain Jr. didn't raise quitters."
"It's not about quitting, it's about crushing Gore in November.  And we're not going to do that with a damaged nominee, be it you or Liddy."

"I fully support the candidacy of Mayor James D. Griffin for President of the United States!  Let's bring the Democratic Party back from the brink!  It's the only way we have a snowball's chance in Hell at winning a third term next year!"

- Mayor Ed Koch

Republican Primary Polling, December 2011:

Powell: 41%
Dole: 33% *
McCain: 10% *
Forbes: 9%
Quayle: 3% *
Keyes: 1% *

Democratic Primary Polling, December 2011:

Gore: 47% *
Wellstone: 38% *
Griffin: 7% *

* Announced candidate
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 02:58:55 AM »
« Edited: March 11, 2012, 02:29:36 PM by Jerseyrules »

"I shall not seek, nor will I accept, my party's nomination for the presidency of the United States.  If nominated I will not run, and if I am elected I shall not serve!  However, I do have someone I'm voting for...."
"In the primaries?"
"And the general, Larry."
"Will you at least tell us which party, General?"
"No." [both laugh]

Alaska Caucuses, Republican:

Dole: 39%
Forbes: 37%
Keyes: 12%
Quayle: 12%
McCain: 7%

Iowa Caucuses, Republican:

Dole: 47%
Forbes: 29%
Keyes: 12%
McCain: 5%
Quayle: 3%

"Today was an important victory, but we're just getting started!  Now let's get out there and sweep the next few!"

Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 05:43:23 AM »

GO KEYES!
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 12:15:19 PM »

But he is bad....
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 01:01:29 PM »

He is a social conservative.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 01:59:10 PM »
« Edited: March 11, 2012, 02:28:50 PM by Jerseyrules »

"We are fighting to restore America!  All the cynics told us we had no chance, but we are going to keep on chugging!  We're gonna fight all the way to the convention, and make sure that we're calling the shots come next January!"

"We've got to make sure that Liddy Dole is in the White House come next year!  We're gonna need to gain at least forty seats in the house and seven in the senate next year!  This is the beginning of a new American Century, and Liddy Dole is gonna lead us through it!"

New Hampshire Primary:

Dole: 45
Keyes: 32%
McCain: 27%

Iowa Causes, Democratic:

Wellstone: 37%
Gore: 35%
Griffin: 33%

New Hampshire Primary, Democratic:

Gore: 39%
Wellstone: 31%
Griffin: 27%

South Carolina, Republican:

Dole: 53%
Keyes: 37%
McCain: 12%

"We're not done yet, not by a long shot, America!  We're gonna keep on fighting, and we're going all the way to the convention!  Thank you New Hampshire!"

"Today, we made a historic sweep!  Never before has a Republican candidate won Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina!  We're going to have the nomination in no time, America!"

"America, when I got into this, I promised my family that I would be either a winner or a loser, but I would not be a sore loser.  Well, my friends, this journey is clearly over for us.  Today I announce my withdrawal from the presidential race, and my firm support of Elizabeth Dole for President!  We're gonna go all the way; the GOP will retake full control of the government come November!"

"Our party needs to get behind the strongest candidate, and that candidate is Liddy Dole!  We're going to see a massive change from the last eight years, a change for the better in morals, business, and taxation.  We're going to restore America's spirit by electing Elizabeth Dole next November!  Only a few more months left, America!"

- Governor John Engler (R-MI)

"If Senator Wellstone continues his kamikaze strategy, we'll all be caught with our pants down, and Liddy Dole will become our next President.  We can't have that!  We need four more years of intelligent government, prosperity, and economic growth and stability.  We're not going to get that if Liddy Dole is the next president!"

Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 02:01:33 PM »

I think he's kind of a neocon, but you will see a Keyes surprise Wink
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 02:05:23 PM »

Third party?
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 02:08:49 PM »

Perhaps, or maybe something else Wink
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 02:37:15 PM »
« Edited: March 11, 2012, 02:43:17 PM by Jerseyrules »

"We've cleaned up the streets of the City, now let's get to cleaning up the Capitol!  Let's fight for an end to the corruption that has plauged this nation since its beginnings.  We're going to fight for lower taxes, smaller government, and less regulation.  For the first time in decades, Republicans will have both of New York's senate seats!  We are going to finish the fight to restore America!"

"We need someone with fresh ideas, new leadership, and who will fight for the common New Yorker.  The First Lady is out to leapfrog into the presidency, and the Mayor is feeding his own ambitions.  I was called into this by the PEOPLE, AND I WILL FIGHT FOR THE PEOPLE AS YOUR SENATOR!"

New York Senate Poll:

Giuliani vs. Clinton

Giuliani: 56%
Clinton: 43%

Giuliani vs. Kennedy:

Giuliani: 52%
Kennedy: 47%

Democratic Primary Polling:

Kennedy: 57%
Clinton: 42%
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 03:12:19 PM »

You see, this is the part where all the people on the right start going "Rudy Rudy Rudy" and all the people in the back start going "Kennedy Kennedy Kennedy" and all the old white gals start cheering for Hillary... Wink
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 05:11:58 PM »

Thoughts so far?
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2012, 05:19:11 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2012, 11:17:40 PM by Jerseyrules »

"I would ask you all to support a dear friend of mine, Representative Tom Campbell, for Senator this year.  He has served California in the State Senate, and will serve you well as your next Senator.  He is a great man, and a bold leader, and not a rigid ideologue as many politicians can be.  Thank you, San Francisco, I'll be back after Philidelphia!"

California Senate Poll:

Feinstein: 51%
Campbell: 46%

Delaware Primary, Democratic:

Gore: 52%
Wellstone: 41%
Griffin: 4%

Washington Primary, Democratic:

Wellstone: 54%
Gore: 27%
Griffin: 16%

Delaware Primary, Republican:

Dole: 63%
Keyes: 29%

Arizona Primary, Republican:

Dole: 57%
Keyes: 38%

Michigan Primary, Republican:

Dole: 52%
Keyes: 47%

"Clearly this was a huge defeat for the Vice President today.  I mean, come on, he's the sitting Vice President; he's got the President out there campaigning for him for God's sake.  Shouldn't he be doing better?"

"Well, I wouldn't underestimate the Vice President, Bill.  He's got a lot of support, especially among the establishment.  You'd be surprised, but listen.  I've had a lot of experience as a political advisor and campaigner.  Now, the Democrats usually support the grassroots nominee, whereas the Republicans support the establishment candidate.  Now, this year it's changing.  Liddy Dole is the young governor, very popular among young people and women, out there campaigning, not accepting contributions above $100, and there's something that really is unique about her, and that's her making use of the Internet."

"That's a big deal now, isn't it?"

"Oh definitely; I would even go so far as to say that she is the first-ever presidential candidate to make full use of the Internet.  In fact, the way that she gets the money to roll in is from the Internet.  It's very similar to how John F. Kennedy used television back in 1960.  It's going to be interesting to see her transition from a primary to a general election strategy, and I'd strongly recommend to her to keep doing what she's doing, especially with the Internet."

"Now, what about Keyes?"

"I think that the ambassador should know that he's done, and he should really consider withdrawing from the race.  Michigan was really his last chance, and he spent weeks there.  The fact that he didn't even win there shows that he's not a strong general election candidate.  I hold a lot of respect for Mr. Keyes, but he has to think about his party.  And-"

"We have to wrap it up, Governor."

"If I could just say one more thing, I think that Governor Dole needs a game-changer for Vice President.  She needs someone to energize the base, because it's a really close race according to the recent polling data."

"Always a pleasure to have you on Governor."

"Pleasure to be here, Mr. O'Reilly."
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2012, 07:06:19 PM »

Anything?  Anything at all?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2012, 08:06:08 PM »

Very good ! I like it a lot!
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2012, 08:06:48 PM »
« Edited: March 11, 2012, 08:33:55 PM by Jerseyrules »

"Today marks my withdrawal from the presidential race.  I will endorse Governor Dole for the nomination and the general election, however, should she select a pro-choice running mate, I will consider a third-party candidacy."

"Now that you've got the nomination wrapped up, who's your VP pick?"
"My shortlist is Powell, Whitman, Engler, Bush, and Thompson."
"Ah.  Powell's better suited for Chairman of the Joint Chiefs or some other cabinet position.  That leaves 3 white guys and a white woman.  Really shakin' things up I see."
"Well who do you suggest?
"Honestly?  Herman Cain, or Jeb Bush.  Bush because he's younger than W., and he's very popular with hispanics."
"So is W."
"But we need someone more fresh, and newer."
"What about Keyes?"
"What?!"
"Well, it would represent party unity, and I'd keep him on a tight leash."
"Your choice, ma'am..."

"I'm runnin' for Governor of Indiana this year!  We're gonna take back the White House, and take back our governor's mansion too!  I'd love to thank every single one of you for making this comeback possible...."

Fast-forward several months:

"This is the first time since 1976 where neither canidate has a majority of delegates going into the convention.  What does this mean for Democrats going into the general, Mr. Rove?"

"It looks bad, Glenn."

"What would they need to do in order to make this thing competetive again?"

"Oh it's gonna be tough.  Liddy even has a chance at California, Illinois, and New Jersey if you believe current polling.  She's run a marvelous campaign."

"And the grassroots thing is really paying off?"

"Oh yeah, big time."

"What role will Mr. Keyes play in this election?"

"Well he's been incredible at being a crusader, and he's spent time in each state.  He's spent a lot of time in California driving up turnout in the more conservative areas like Orange County, and he's also been in the more liberal urban neighborhoods, the blue collar constituencies that have made it so hard for the modern GOP to win a statewide contest in the Sunshine State.  And the unique thing is that he's not changing his message, he's just tailoring it to his audience.  He's also given Liddy a pretty good chunk of the black vote, almost twenty percent.  That's amazing for a Republican candidate."

"All right that's all the time we have now...."
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2012, 08:07:13 PM »

Why thank you Wink
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2012, 08:17:32 PM »
« Edited: March 11, 2012, 08:51:12 PM by Jerseyrules »

Gore nominated on third ballot!  Chooses Wellstone as running mate!

"I am honored to accept your party's nomination for the Presidency.  I know that the journey here has been long, but from here it's a one-way ticket to the White House!"

While the Vice President and Senator Wellstone made decent speeches, everyone was talking about Kennedy's keynote address:

"We have been divided as a party time and time again.  But we have always recovered.  After the Civil War, the Democrats were thought to be a dead party.  They thought we were a lost cause.  But this year, we will maintain our hold on the White House, and for the first time since 1836, we will propel a Democratic Vice President into a presidency of their own.  I want to be able to say I was there when President Gore was nominated for the first time.  Let's buckle down and make this a campaign for the ages!"

Meanwhile....

"I am proud to accept your party's nomination for the presidency!  We have waited to long and worked too hard to allow them to win in November!  We need to work for further reductions in the debt that will strangle our childrn's futures if we don't do anything about it.  And we must work to put our nation before our own interests.  This is why I am resigning my governorship today!  [cheers].  I'm either heading to the White House, or I'm going home!"

Dole hits the campaign trail!  She begins a "Fifty-State Strategy", aggressively touring the west coast, northeast, and other Democratic-leaning regions.  Keyes stumps throughout the country as well.

Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2012, 11:10:26 PM »

Alright, I probably won't be able to update much during the week, but this TL should only take about 2 weeks or so.  After that, I might do a Civil War TL where Lee commands Union forces from the beginning, and Virginia votes against secession.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2012, 02:41:00 AM »

You'd vote for a brain-damaged chicken if said chicken would run as a social conservative, wouldn't you?
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2012, 04:31:47 AM »

You'd vote for a brain-damaged chicken if said chicken would run as a social conservative, wouldn't you?
Brain-damaged chickens usually run on the socially liberal platform.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2012, 08:28:15 AM »

Brain-damaged chickens usually run on the socially liberal platform.

Touche. That was good one Wink
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies