Bill introduced to move Election Day to weekend (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:04:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bill introduced to move Election Day to weekend (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Your opinion ?
Support

Oppose

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Bill introduced to move Election Day to weekend  (Read 5446 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« on: March 11, 2012, 12:15:44 PM »

Are there really that many people that want to vote and can't under the current system because it's on a Tuesday and are too stupid/ignorant to vote any other way?  Do we really want more stupid/ignorant people voting?

Example: I worked from 8-2 on Tuesday, then had class from 3-7. I found out that I had to cover that shift the day before, so it was obviously too late to get an absentee ballot. It takes just over an hour to drive from home to work, when you account for rush hour traffic, and driving home to my polling place would be waaay out of my way when I'm driving between work and school. Georgia polls are open 7-7. I would not have been able to vote last week if my professor hadn't canceled my second class; as it is, I was the very last person to vote in my precinct.

Are you seriously insinuating that someone like me is "stupid/ignorant" just because I manage to balance being a full-time student with a full-time job? And I would somehow be less ignorant if I worked less and/or didn't go to school? Don't be ridiculous.

Tuesday election days only disenfranchise the busy. Caucuses are worse because they force you to take like three hours out of your day; but I'd hate to live in a state that only allowed election day voting. (And I guess personally, I'm going to take this as a lesson to always do early voting from now on, but that makes me sad because I like going into the booth on election day).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies