Santorum blames gay marriage for bad economy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:42:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Santorum blames gay marriage for bad economy
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13
Author Topic: Santorum blames gay marriage for bad economy  (Read 13201 times)
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 11, 2012, 04:20:13 PM »

This guy is a serious candidate for the Republican nomination people.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 04:24:55 PM »

Hint:  He's in the Republican Party, not in the Democratic Party.  He could win the Republican nomination with the hardcore base of the party and the tea party.  He would undoubtedly have a more difficult time in the general election when you throw in Democrats and, especially, Independents who are disgruntled with the current administration.  Anyway, this is all pretty much a moot point because it's looking like Mitt Romney will win the nomination.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 04:34:24 PM »

Hint:  He's in the Republican Party, not in the Democratic Party.  He could win the Republican nomination with the hardcore base of the party and the tea party.  He would undoubtedly have a more difficult time in the general election when you throw in Democrats and, especially, Independents who are disgruntled with the current administration.  Anyway, this is all pretty much a moot point because it's looking like Mitt Romney will win the nomination.

Of course, the GOP 'establishment' should take a stand against those people and abolish primaries altogether. That way, the Republicans would be more likely to have decent candidates in a similar mould to Eisenhower, Nixon, Rockefeller, Goldwater etc.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 04:35:30 PM »

I love, incidentally, how far enough gone we are that Goldwater is named along with Eisenhower, Nixon, and Rockefeller in the list of sane, easily-worked-with Republican presidentabili past.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 04:45:05 PM »

Wait a minute: Nixon is sane!?!
ajb
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 04:47:52 PM »

Guess it wasn't gas prices after all.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 04:50:28 PM »

Guess it wasn't gas prices after all.

Well current gas prices were obviously caused by condoms. 
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 04:51:07 PM »

Good point.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 04:53:02 PM »

Relatively speaking....
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 04:57:01 PM »

Wasn't there a study done once that proves that gay marriage is an economic boost for states where it was legalized?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 05:03:15 PM »

He misspoke. Smiley
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 05:36:52 PM »

Silly people. Don't you know that traditional values are the only solution for all problems?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 05:38:04 PM »

It really says something about Mitt Romney's weakness that this guy is consistently running neck in neck with him, instead of being destroyed in a landslide as he would be against any half-competent politician.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 05:39:07 PM »

Did anyone check the *cough*Stranger*cough* article that he linked to? Santorum said that moral failings were the cause of the recession, not gay marriage in particular.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 05:40:49 PM »

Santorum said that moral failings were the cause of the recession, not gay marriage in particular.

Oh yes. Now, after you specified, his point is suddenly coherent.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2012, 05:59:37 PM »
« Edited: March 11, 2012, 06:01:27 PM by Torie »

Gay marriage = erosion of the nuclear family = poorer educational performance and discipline of the offspring = economic sub-performance of said offspring.  

Is there any error in the application of the transitive principle here?  What am I missing?   Can someone "help" me here?

By the way, just to get past the nomenclature game, as to which so many seem so obsessed, does Rick also oppose gay civil unions?  If not, just why do civil unions not lead to the break up of the nuclear family (among heteros presumably, who are the "breeders"), while when you change the name to "marriage," everything goes to hell and a hand basket? If not (Rick also opposes civil unions), then there in my opinion is a bit more robustness to Rick's transitive principle application, at last for those who don't think monikers are worth a warm bucket of spit in changing anything in this context (the exacerbation of the "collapse" of the family).  Phil?

Oh, Rick said this last August. Maybe he has tacked a bit since then. I mean, maybe Mittens is not the only one who tacks. Is that possible?
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2012, 06:10:49 PM »

It really says something about Mitt Romney's weakness that this guy is consistently running neck in neck with him, instead of being destroyed in a landslide as he would be against any half-competent politician.

As far as I can tell, the policies that Romney is running on are in no meaningful way to the left of those of Santorum. And for every time that Santorum mentions sex, Romney obnoxiously reminds us of his wealth.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2012, 06:13:46 PM »

As far as I can tell, the policies that Romney is running on are in no meaningful way to the left of those of Santorum. And for every time that Santorum mentions sex, Romney obnoxiously reminds us of his wealth.

Has Mittens said that gay unions/marriage leads to economic sub-performance over time?  Is so, I would be interested in seeing that in text. Because that would suggest disingenuousness  - or idiocy.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2012, 06:22:58 PM »

Has Mittens said that gay unions/marriage leads to economic sub-performance over time?  Is so, I would be interested in seeing that in text. Because that would suggest disingenuousness  - or idiocy.

Not directly - but then again, what does Mittens say directly when he's campaigning? There is this, though, from the Saint Anselm debate:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Obviously not the same thing - but that wasn't really my point. What I'm getting at is that Romney, while less likely to put his foot in his mouth over the issue, isn't campaigning based on a position any different from Santorum's. We could choose not to take his remarks at face value - but is there any good reason to do that?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2012, 06:41:07 PM »

By the own admission of conservatives, you cannot blame nor force anything on the gay community that would take away their "freedom".

If conservative heterosexuals can form a "holy union" after having a bastard child out of wedlock and are allowed to enter and break those vows at will (because it is a state institution and not a religious one), then homosexuals can do the same without fear nor need of conservative opinion or concern of the effects on the economy.

If conservatives can raise their children without government involvement by giving them a sh**tty religious home-schooled education and by filling them full of Mountain Dew, Cheetos and the Holy Spirit, then two homosexuals can freely agree to conceive a child in whatever capacity and raise he or she in the image that they see fit.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2012, 06:53:07 PM »
« Edited: March 11, 2012, 07:06:09 PM by Torie »

Has Mittens said that gay unions/marriage leads to economic sub-performance over time?  Is so, I would be interested in seeing that in text. Because that would suggest disingenuousness  - or idiocy.

Not directly - but then again, what does Mittens say directly when he's campaigning? There is this, though, from the Saint Anselm debate:

Quote from: Restricted

Obviously not the same thing - but that wasn't really my point. What I'm getting at is that Romney, while less likely to put his foot in his mouth over the issue, isn't campaigning based on a position any different from Santorum's. We could choose not to take his remarks at face value - but is there any good reason to do that?

Not the same at all actually. It has nothing to do with gay marriage. It might have something to do with gay adoption.  And I am not sure Mittens would oppose gay adoption, if the alternative, is leaving some kid without any parents at all.  Obviously I disagree with the concept that gays make inferior parents. I know gay parents who have adopted, and all of them have been fantastic, and doting, parents, and don't think they should be at the back of the line to adopt (and in CA they are not thankfully). It is total bullsh**t really.

You know what would be an interesting question to ask Mittens?  If the choice were a single parent family (which Mittens abhors), or a two gay parent family, which on balance would in general be preferable?  I wonder what his answer would be. I think I might make "arrangements" to ask him. I have my little channels. Smiley
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2012, 06:57:23 PM »

Isn't it odd how Santorum is supposed to be wild and crazy, but when you actually read what he says, he's sensible?
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2012, 06:59:18 PM »

So comparing good parents to terrible ones is supposed to be a compelling argument in favor?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2012, 07:04:58 PM »

Isn't it odd how Santorum is supposed to be wild and crazy, but when you actually read what he says, he's sensible?

You think this is "sensible" as opposed to nutter?:

"this whole redefinition of marriage debate, and not supporting strong nuclear families and not supporting and standing up for the dignity of human life. Those lead to a society that’s broken...."

One of the horrible "those" (along with not supporting nuclear families and abortion) is gay marriage, in Rick's world. That is what the text means. Period. Maybe although Rick has a law degree, he is a poor lawyer, and is sloppy about what he says. I guess that is another explanation, except he has said this sort of thing about how gay marriage is societally toxic - again and again.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2012, 07:05:43 PM »

Torie:

It's actually a really simple argument.

You've heard of the 'broken window' approach to crime? What it argues is that neglect, in the form of broken windows encourages crime, and can be more effective then policing after the fact. If people see that the small things are taken care of, then there will be fewer break-ins.

Whereas if it's left as it is, it encourages crime, because people believe that there will be no repercussions.

Santorum's arguing that the same thing works for marriage.

We know that families that are married make more money than families that are not married. This is something that's been shown for quite some time.

Gay marriage weakens the natural family, because you're arguing that 'sex doesn't matter', and that there is no such thing as 'men' or 'women' that would actually be relevant to marriage.

If gay marriage is more likely to lead to relationships outside of marriage, then gay marriage is going to hurt the economy as it forms unstable unions that are more likely to break up as well as discouraging marriage altogether.

That's what Santorum is getting at. It makes sense, but you have to have some of the background to understand the premisses.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies