Environmental Policy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:06:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Environmental Policy
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Environmental Policy  (Read 1564 times)
Tidewater_Wave
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 13, 2012, 12:57:33 AM »

Environmental Regulations Bill:

1. Green jobs only last a week, but are worth it.
2. Encourage states towards recycling and conservation.
3. Require EPA reports on harmful areas more often.
4. Require Mercury clean up to do more.
5. Focus on environmental protection, not regulation.
6. Include oil and gas smokestacks in mercury regulations.
7. No new roads in the wilderness.
8. More land set aside for national forests and pay for it with visitor fees at other parks.
9. Tougher regulations on emissions and encourage hybrids even though they are ugly.
10. Global warming is a European and liberal hoax to kill the American economy.
11. Celebrating Earth Day is like worshiping dirt.
12. Require states to meet standards on clean air and clean water.
13. Immediate 20% reduction in greenhouse gases.
14. Cap and trade supporter, but must be mandatory.
15. Do not allow companies to buy out of cap and trade by implementing sentences not taxes.
16. Europeans need to stop trying to politically invade my country.
17. Sign onto Kyoto and be dictated by rulers in Europe? Just say NO!
18. Make the Environmental Protection Agency a cabinet department.

Energy Bill:

1. Use ethanol as a subsidy if it can lower prices to under $40/barrel, but not $60.
2. No drilling in ANWR and save it for national emergencies.
3. More funding for renewable energy resources and energy independence.
4. Goal is to find an alternative for oil by 2040.
5. 100,000 hydrogen powered vehicles by 2020.
6. Eliminate gas tax to lower gas prices by 50 cents per gallon.
7. Nuclear energy is the solution to climate change, but global warming is still a hoax.

Animals and Endangered Species Bill:

1. End all whaling in United States waters.
2. Federal money used to keep kennels and animal shelters open for cats and dogs is ok.
3. No human rights to animals because it is absurd and insane.
4. Eating cats, dogs, or horses is un-American.
5. Without hunting laws, deer would be extinct.
6. When a species leaves the circle of life starts a chain reaction.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 01:24:15 AM »

uggg...."green" jobs can and do last longer than a week

We may need to put a "new road in the wilderness (whatever that means)" sometime in the future

emission regulation on new cars is plenty tough, what we need to do is get more of the old cars off the road (without forcing anybody to get rid of their old car that they love).  It's the old, poorly maintained cars that do most of the polluting.  One grandpa in his 78 LTD does more environmental damage than 500 new Civics.  Give grandpa a $2000 credit on a newer used car, put the old junker in the crusher and we'll be way ahead of the game.

Immediate 20% reduction in greenhouse gases....uhhh...how ya gonna do that without killing the economy?

We shouldn't subsidize ethanol, it's not (and can't be) our savior, there is no point in artificially inflating corn prices (other than to keep congresscritters from corn country happy)

Hydrogen powered cars probably isn't the answer either

lower gas prices is just going to encourage more driving...that aint good for the environment...if anything we should want higher gas prices...if you are for the environment and want cheaper gas, you either don't understand how this stuff works or you're a fool

there is whaling in US waters?  cite?

a lot of Americans might not like the idea of eating Mr Ed...but that doesn't make it "un-American"

deer would not be extinct without hunting laws...i'm not even sure I understand what you mean here

When a species leaves the circle of life {it} starts a chain reaction?...sometimes maybe, but certainly not everytime
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 04:21:50 AM »

I pledge allegiance to the flag
Of the United States of America
And to the republic for which it stands
One nation
Under God
Indivisible
Not eating cats
Amen.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 07:50:11 AM »

Cat is said to be delicious.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 01:17:21 PM »

While there is no commercial whaling here, some subsistence whaling does take place in Alaska by indigenous peoples.
Tidewater_Wave
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 03:51:55 PM »

While there is no commercial whaling here, some subsistence whaling does take place in Alaska by indigenous peoples.

Meaning crack down on illegal whaling.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 04:52:11 PM »

I'm pretty sure we let those people do that....part of their culture and all that.  Wiki confirms.  It's not illegal whaling.  And they use Science to tell us that it is sustainable.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 09:03:03 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2012, 07:42:38 PM by Emo Teen Blogger »

8. More land set aside for national forests and pay for it with visitor fees at other parks.
9. Tougher regulations on emissions and encourage hybrids even though they are ugly.
10. Global warming is a European and liberal hoax to kill the American economy.*
13. Immediate 20% reduction in greenhouse gases.**
16. Europeans need to stop trying to politically invade my country.***

Energy Bill:

1. Use ethanol as a subsidy if it can lower prices to under $40/barrel, but not $60.
7. Nuclear energy is the solution to climate change, but global warming is still a hoax.****

3. No human rights to animals because it is absurd and insane.*****
4. Eating cats, dogs, or horses is un-American.******
5. Without hunting laws, deer would be extinct.*******

* = I myself am often skeptical of the "global warming" thing, but the way you worded it in this post was just so ignorant and completely void of logic, reason or sense that I immediately wanted to donate money directly to Al Gore's bank account. "European and liberal hoax to kill the American economy" seriously? Do you actually believe that? Again, I view everything from a more skeptical standpoint, but this is just outright ignorance.

** = How do you propose we do that?

*** = What...

**** = So you believe in "climate change," but not "global warming"? Hmm...okay. That's like saying, "I hate Linkin Park, but I love Limp Bizkit!" It's the same. f***ing. thing. Just with a different title. Clear contradiction right here.

***** = "Absurd and insane" in what ways? I don't think it's unreasonable to give animals some basic human rights. It ought to be illegal to deliberately kill an animal, right? Well it's illegal to deliberately kill a human. It ought to be illegal to neglect an animal, just like it's illegal to neglect a human. In fact, I think giving animals more rights would be great for our society, as we often take them for granted and treat them like trash. By the way, you basically contradict yourself on this point later.

******  = Left this in because it is so ridiculously idiotic that you would include this in here...can't we universally agree that eating cats and dogs is wrong? What hallucinogen caused you to put this in here? You make these threads so people can have discussions about your views, fine. But why this? Did you expect a disagreement to come out of this? Did you think someone would find consumption of domestic animals morally justified? Are you kidding me?

******* = Please tell me you don't believe this. Please. An entire species of an extremely common animal...wiped off the face of the earth...by hunting? Really? You make me laugh sometimes with your lack of logic and knowledge.

Seriously, you are a militant Conservative. You also contradict yourself in a lot of these posts and it's kinda funny. I enjoy watching you fail so blatantly in these posts. There's been times when I've had to step away from my computer because you either make me so mad that I would scream, begin to lose faith in humanity or vomit--or a combination of all three.

I agree with you on some of your views, but not a large enough amount to say that I find you to be a sane human being. Some of these statements are just so blatantly ignorant and devoid of value that I can feel my IQ dropping.
Tidewater_Wave
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 09:46:18 PM »

10. Global warming is a European and liberal hoax to kill the American economy.*
13. Immediate 20% reduction in greenhouse gases.**
16. Europeans need to stop trying to politically invade my country.***

Energy Bill:

7. Nuclear energy is the solution to climate change, but global warming is still a hoax.****

3. No human rights to animals because it is absurd and insane.*****
4. Eating cats, dogs, or horses is un-American.******
5. Without hunting laws, deer would be extinct.*******

* = I myself am often skeptical of the "global warming" thing, but the way you worded it in this post was just so ignorant and completely void of logic, reason or sense that I immediately wanted to donate money directly to Al Gore's bank account. "European and liberal hoax to kill the American economy" seriously? Do you actually believe that? Again, I view everything from a more skeptical standpoint, but this is just outright ignorance.

** = How do you propose we do that?

*** = What...

**** = So you believe in "climate change," but not "global warming"? Hmm...okay. That's like saying, "I hate Linkin Park, but I love Limp Bizkit!" It's the same. ing. thing. Just with a different title. Clear contradiction right here.

***** = "Absurd and insane" in what ways? I don't think it's unreasonable to give animals some basic human rights. It ought to be illegal to deliberately kill an animal, right? Well it's illegal to deliberately kill a human. It ought to be illegal to neglect an animal, just like it's illegal to neglect a human. In fact, I think giving animals more rights would be great for our society, as we often take them for granted and treat them like trash. By the way, you basically contradict yourself on this point later.

******  = Left this in because it is so ridiculously idiotic that you would include this in here...can't we universally agree that eating cats and dogs is wrong? What hallucinogen caused you to put this in here? You make these threads so people can have discussions about your views, fine. But why this? Did you expect a disagreement to come out of this? Did you think someone would find consumption of domestic animals morally justified? Are you kidding me?

******* = Please tell me you don't believe this. Please. An entire species of an extremely common animal...wiped off the face of the earth...by hunting? Really? You make me laugh sometimes with your lack of logic and knowledge.

Seriously, you are a militant Conservative. You also contradict yourself in a lot of these posts and it's kinda funny. I enjoy watching you fail so blatantly in these posts. There's been times when I've had to step away from my computer because you either make me so mad that I would scream, begin to lose faith in humanity or vomit--or a combination of all three.

I agree with you on some of your views, but not a large enough amount to say that I find you to be a sane human being. Some of these statements are just so blatantly ignorant and devoid of value that I can feel my IQ dropping.

There is no contradiction but you can read it however you want. The earth runs in cycles and we have problems with our environment. The earth however is not getting hotter because of humans. I'm not sure how watching anyone fail has anything to do with my post, but it did create space in which you were able to see yourself type and now I feel my IQ dropping. If you lived in PA you'd know that deer would be endangered without some laws of protection. Maybe you do live in PA and maybe you don't. Either way it doesn't mean you're aware of anything. Statements on paper are usually devoid without explanation. I could've very well typed a 20 page paper with statistics and citations but you wouldn't have understood and most other members here wouldn't want to take the time to read so much. Furthermore, most Americans do not eat dogs or cats but if that's what stands out to you on protecting the evironment then type about it all you want. As for Al Gore, I would like to remind you of the report last month showing a month of utilities adding up to over a year of consumption. Sometimes people talk and preach and others do and act. I prefer to be part of the latter.

P.S. Europe would love to see your country fail and mine too.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 06:41:25 AM »

Considering we both live in PA, Derek, and considering I'm not an outdoorsy person, I'm not exactly familiar with the deer population, forgive me for that (/sarcasm)

Nevertheless, I agree that some hunting laws need to be implemented, but to say an entire species of a common animal would be extinct seems like a bit of a stretch.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 05:46:08 PM »

I agree with pretty much every aspect of your criticism of Derek's proposals, but how familiar are you with the fate of the passenger pigeon and nearly of the buffalo? These used to be extremely, extremely common, definitely more so than deer are, perhaps more so than deer ever were.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 07:41:17 PM »

I agree with pretty much every aspect of your criticism of Derek's proposals, but how familiar are you with the fate of the passenger pigeon and nearly of the buffalo? These used to be extremely, extremely common, definitely more so than deer are, perhaps more so than deer ever were.

I'm unfamiliar, but like I said, there should be certain hunting laws.
Tidewater_Wave
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 08:13:19 PM »

Considering we both live in PA, Derek, and considering I'm not an outdoorsy person, I'm not exactly familiar with the deer population, forgive me for that (/sarcasm)

Nevertheless, I agree that some hunting laws need to be implemented, but to say an entire species of a common animal would be extinct seems like a bit of a stretch.

A sarcastic teenager? I've never heard of a sarcastic teenager. Has anyone? Gosh I've forgotten how teenagers know everything. It's funny how the older you get the less you know. We should just let teens run the world. Animals can become extinct.

Nathan what are you criticisms?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 09:44:16 PM »

I hate to be boring but I mostly agree with Jake's, with the exceptions that I don't have a problem with your statement on hunting laws and that while Earth Day is indeed pretty pointless I really don't see how it's any worse than anodyne. Your attribution of malicious intent to the nations of Europe and the American left seems particularly unfounded.
Tidewater_Wave
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 10:07:07 PM »

I hate to be boring but I mostly agree with Jake's, with the exceptions that I don't have a problem with your statement on hunting laws and that while Earth Day is indeed pretty pointless I really don't see how it's any worse than anodyne. Your attribution of malicious intent to the nations of Europe and the American left seems particularly unfounded.

I look at everything the U.N. does in relation the the U.S. to back up what they want for our country. Earth Day shouldn't be cancelled or anything, but I was more than less making a statement that we should do something rather than celebrate. What do you think should be done about greenhouse gases and mercury clean up if you don't mind me asking? Or hydrogen powered cars?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 10:11:12 PM »

I look at everything the U.N. does in relation the the U.S. to back up what they want for our country. Earth Day shouldn't be cancelled or anything, but I was more than less making a statement that we should do something rather than celebrate. What do you think should be done about greenhouse gases and mercury clean up if you don't mind me asking? Or hydrogen powered cars?

Oh, no, those are issues I agree with you on, though I'm a bit more in favor of a straight-up carbon tax than cap-and-trade simply because cap-and-trade would be, or seems like it would be, harder to administer.
Tidewater_Wave
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2012, 10:13:41 PM »

I'd just tweak cap and trade so that companies couldn't opt out of it. That is hard to enforce though. I see it as nothing more than a bonus for the wealthy as cap and trade stands now.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies