March 13 Results
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:39:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  March 13 Results
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25
Author Topic: March 13 Results  (Read 32410 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: March 13, 2012, 11:29:14 PM »

It doesn't actually matter how coming in 3rd might have "embarrassed" Romney, or what the delegate count might be tonight.  That's not actually the bad news for Romney.  The bad news for Romney is that Gingrich failed to win either state, and so now there's actually a chance that he might drop out soon.  Gingrich dropping out soon is the one thing with the potential to shake up the race at all.  If Gingrich stays in, then the status quo prevails, and Romney wins the nomination relatively easily.  But Gingrich dropping out at least has the potential to change the dynamics enough to make it interesting.

Spot on - post of the night right there.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #451 on: March 13, 2012, 11:30:37 PM »

The lead from Reuters:

Republican Rick Santorum won a pair of crucial Deep South primaries on Tuesday, staking a claim to leadership of the party's conservative wing and dealing a severe setback to presidential rival Newt Gingrich.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/14/us-usa-campaign-idUSTRE8230GE20120314

I don't write for Reuters either.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #452 on: March 13, 2012, 11:31:43 PM »

The lead from Reuters:

Republican Rick Santorum won a pair of crucial Deep South primaries on Tuesday, staking a claim to leadership of the party's conservative wing and dealing a severe setback to presidential rival Newt Gingrich.

How do you plan on covering tonight's results for The Mensa Times?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #453 on: March 13, 2012, 11:32:57 PM »

The lead from Reuters:

Yes, we realize you don't write for them. You also don't accurately predict what outlets will write since no where in that headline is Romney's name even mentioned.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #454 on: March 13, 2012, 11:38:37 PM »

The lead from Reuters:

No, they write about me.

This will be spun as a Gingrich loss more so than a Romney loss, if Romney gets a plurality of the delegates for the day.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #455 on: March 13, 2012, 11:38:51 PM »

http://www.google.com/elections/ed/us/results

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Cheesy

Attention Newt: drop out and endorse Santorum
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #456 on: March 13, 2012, 11:40:47 PM »

The lead from Reuters:

No, they write about me.

World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #457 on: March 13, 2012, 11:43:37 PM »

Wow, I was eating out with friends and missed all the excitement. Congratulations, Phil.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #458 on: March 13, 2012, 11:43:44 PM »

The interesting thing about MS and Alabama, is that Mittens did quite well, where he usually blows (maybe ironically "the folks" respect more what "their leaders" are saying, mostly for Romney, because that is the culture, rather than the more sharp elbowed culture that most of us enjoy, where we tend to enjoy telling "the establishment" of our individual cohorts to just take a hike - just who the F do they think they are?), and blew where he usually rules. Demographics didn't matter much, where they have been key everywhere else. If Nate did not pick that up, he's missing something. The issue is why Mittens blew among the upper middle class, and whether that portends anything. Probably not, and the LDS thing needs to be touched upon, but it deserves more discussion than it is getting.

Nate, to is credit, actually pointed out that Romney does much more poorly in affluent suburban areas in the South and Midwest than the rest of the country.  Sean Trende really nailed this with his demographic analysis, though.

OK, but why did Mittens do much better with the upper middle class in Georgia and SC?  I don't think the 3 cornered (for some reason Nate didn't get out west with this) regionalism factor in Nate's model explains it all. Unless the upper middle class is unusually Evangelical in AL and MS. Did Nate touch on that?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #459 on: March 13, 2012, 11:45:59 PM »

The interesting thing about MS and Alabama, is that Mittens did quite well, where he usually blows (maybe ironically "the folks" respect more what "their leaders" are saying, mostly for Romney, because that is the culture, rather than the more sharp elbowed culture that most of us enjoy, where we tend to enjoy telling "the establishment" of our individual cohorts to just take a hike - just who the F do they think they are?), and blew where he usually rules. Demographics didn't matter much, where they have been key everywhere else. If Nate did not pick that up, he's missing something. The issue is why Mittens blew among the upper middle class, and whether that portends anything. Probably not, and the LDS thing needs to be touched upon, but it deserves more discussion than it is getting.

Nate, to is credit, actually pointed out that Romney does much more poorly in affluent suburban areas in the South and Midwest than the rest of the country.  Sean Trende really nailed this with his demographic analysis, though.

OK, but why did Mittens do much better with the upper middle class in Georgia and SC?  I don't think the 3 cornered (for some reason Nate didn't get out west with this) regionalism factor in Nate's model explains it all. Unless the upper middle class is unusually Evangelical in AL and MS. Did Nate touch on that?

I haven't seen anyone write on that.  I don't think any people expected Romney's lackluster performance in places like DeSoto County, MS.  It's a fascinating phenomenon that I wish I knew more about (the religiosity thing I mentioned is only my pet hypothesis.)
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #460 on: March 13, 2012, 11:47:07 PM »

I can't speak for Mississippi but the upper middle class is in fact unusually evangelical in Alabama, at least in the area around Birmingham with which I'm familiar. They actually by some subjective measures of what I've encountered there seem somewhat more politically evangelical than poorer whites.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #461 on: March 13, 2012, 11:52:22 PM »

The lead from Reuters:

So nothing at all like what you predicted. Cool.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #462 on: March 13, 2012, 11:53:42 PM »

Well, I'm back after a while away from the computer.

1. Romney has some egg on his face tonight; outspending his opponents by a wide margin, leading in the polls, but still coming in third in both states.
2. Santorum Surge Mark III, commence!
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #463 on: March 13, 2012, 11:54:08 PM »

I can't speak for Mississippi but the upper middle class is in fact unusually evangelical in Alabama, at least in the area around Birmingham with which I'm familiar. They actually by some subjective measures of what I've encountered there seem somewhat more politically evangelical than poorer whites.

From what little I know of it, that seems to be the case.

memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #464 on: March 13, 2012, 11:54:14 PM »

I haven't seen anyone write on that.  I don't think any people expected Romney's lackluster performance in places like DeSoto County, MS.  It's a fascinating phenomenon that I wish I knew more about (the religiosity thing I mentioned is only my pet hypothesis.)
DeSoto isn't where you find the fancy suburbs of Memphis. Those are all in Shelby County. It's much more of a Wal-Mart kind of place.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #465 on: March 13, 2012, 11:56:15 PM »

I haven't seen anyone write on that.  I don't think any people expected Romney's lackluster performance in places like DeSoto County, MS.  It's a fascinating phenomenon that I wish I knew more about (the religiosity thing I mentioned is only my pet hypothesis.)
DeSoto isn't where you find the fancy suburbs of Memphis. Those are all in Shelby County. It's much more of a Wal-Mart kind of place.

I believe it has the second-highest incomes in MS behind Madison County though, but maybe the Republicans there are still more downclass than Republicans living in the suburbs of counties with incomes dragged down by urban cores (like Jackson.)

What I avoid knowing about Mississippi could fill a boat.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #466 on: March 13, 2012, 11:57:15 PM »

Many more northern transplants in the upper middle class areas SC & GA.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #467 on: March 13, 2012, 11:57:38 PM »

What strategy will Newt conceive now?  Will he attempt to gain delegates by blackmailing them?  Tongue
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #468 on: March 13, 2012, 11:58:31 PM »

The lead from Reuters:

So nothing at all like what you predicted. Cool.

Right Lief, I was at least waiting to see what happened in HI and AS.

If it is reported like KS, they'll wake up to the headline:

Santorum Wins AL and MS; Romney Gains Delegates

It might even be:

Gingrich Loses AL & MS; Romney Gains Delegates

Oh, and they used a different typeface too.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #469 on: March 13, 2012, 11:59:38 PM »

Does someone who knows MS/AL demographics want to explain these county maps?

In Mississippi, it appears that the voting results can be best described in terms of race.

In the areas of the state with the highest % of AA's, Romney won.
In the areas of the state with the lowest % of AA's, Santorum won.
In the areas of the state with medium % of AA's, Gingrich won.

Compare these maps:

https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/index.html

They match up pretty well. 
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #470 on: March 14, 2012, 12:00:14 AM »

Given Romney's lackluster performance in Shelby County, Tennessee, I don't understand why he was expected to win Memphis-exurban DeSoto County, Mississippi.  The Memphis area is just not into Mitt.

In Mississippi, Romney won the two big college counties, Lafayette (Ole Miss) and Oktibbeha (Mississippi State), the Jackson metro, the Biloxi-Gulfport area and the Mississippi Delta - save the Delta, all areas demographically favorable to Romney.   He is winning the urban/suburban areas and college towns.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #471 on: March 14, 2012, 12:02:16 AM »

When is Hawaii coming up? I am really burned out on the South at the moment.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #472 on: March 14, 2012, 12:05:10 AM »

When is Hawaii coming up? I am really burned out on the South at the moment.

Polls close in an hour, I think.  Twitterverse reports very high turnout in Mormonland.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #473 on: March 14, 2012, 12:06:57 AM »

Does someone who knows MS/AL demographics want to explain these county maps?

In Mississippi, it appears that the voting results can be best described in terms of race.

In the areas of the state with the highest % of AA's, Romney won.
In the areas of the state with the lowest % of AA's, Santorum won.
In the areas of the state with medium % of AA's, Gingrich won.

Compare these maps:

https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/index.html

They match up pretty well. 
That the planter aristocracy of the Delta would identify with Romney is no big shock if you think about it. As others have pointed out, Santorum is doing well among the hillbillies.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #474 on: March 14, 2012, 12:07:35 AM »

Well, I'm back after a while away from the computer.

1. Romney has some egg on his face tonight; outspending his opponents by a wide margin, leading in the polls, but still coming in third in both states.
2. Santorum Surge Mark III, commence!

Gingrich has more egg than Romney.  Santorum had the best night by far... not many people saw him winning both of these.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies