Penalty for performing an abortion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:51:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Penalty for performing an abortion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: If you believe performing an abortion should be illegal, what should the penalty be?
Pay a fine

Jail time

Death

Other

Performing an abortion should be legal

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 81

Author Topic: Penalty for performing an abortion  (Read 10964 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2012, 03:09:46 PM »

If abortion is really equivalent to murder, why is "a little" jail time sufficient?

If a serious issue is criminalized and there's not a fear of strict consequences then there's no reason to make it illegal.

You didn't understand my question.
Purch
Rookie

« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2012, 04:13:21 PM »

If abortion is really equivalent to murder, why is "a little" jail time sufficient?

If a serious issue is criminalized and there's not a fear of strict consequences then there's no reason to make it illegal.

You didn't understand my question.

O I actually did read that wrong. And I'd start with a small jail sentence because a crime that's been accepted for the past 5 decades can't just be enforced by one of the most extreme sentences we have in our country. That would cause complete chaos. The idea is you gradually evoke smaller punishments and as time progresses you invoke harsher punishments.

Think about what would happen if we suddenly banned cigarette use than tried to evoke a harsh prison sentence for it. Chaos.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2012, 09:47:10 PM »

Assuming no one's life was threatened and in a just legal environment, the doctor would get charged with first degree murder and the mother with at least accessory to murder if not contract killing, which is potentially the same as murder in US law. Life in prison is therefore most apt, as the death penalty is not something I believe in.

Politics would probably make such untenable at least on any short timescale, but this is the only logical conclusion that can be reached.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2012, 10:38:51 PM »

Option 5, of course.

Good bump.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2012, 12:18:59 AM »

The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2012, 02:32:40 PM »

I'd be really interested to know the five that voted 'death.'
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2012, 08:34:45 PM »

While I didn't vote that way, there is always a death that happens when an abortion is performed.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2012, 05:43:41 AM »

I certainly would not like to know those people. I prefer such people are restricted to the Internet.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2012, 04:56:45 PM »
« Edited: June 14, 2012, 05:04:22 PM by Steve French »

I'm guessing it would be death by stoning or burning,  right? Tongue

Anyways, #5... but it never was punished by Death or Life..except for Nazi Germany, abortionists were either executed or sent to Auschwitz.

Anyways, if it really was a crime, perhaps for a 1st Trimester thing, the Doctor should be punished for something akin to Child Abuse...generally a minor felony that could be punished up to a few years in prison but generally with several years' probation. The abortive mother or if she self-aborted would just be punished with Accessory of Child Abuse or Misdemeanor Domestic Battery...she touched a household member against his/her will, but no "great bodily harm" or "death" will be said to be established because the fetus wasn't developed enough. Same thing for the father if he didn't try to turn the mother or doctor in.  

For a 2nd Trimester Thing, you could say the fetus wasn't capable of sustaining "death" but was capable of sustaining "great bodily harm". You could charge the Mother, nonrecanting Father or Doctor with Aggravated Child Abuse or Aggravated Battery...

and for a viable fetus, you could make manslaughter or 2nd degree murder charges... for the doctor, staff and parents.

Generally, treat abortion as "partial murder"-

1st Trimester-
Doctor or someone not carrying the fetus- 3-5 year felony, usually get 3 years probation
Mother- 6-12 month misdemeanor, usually get a year of probation

2nd Trimester-
Anyone- 6-15 year felony, usually get a year in jail with a minor record, 5 years probation without one and 2 years in prison with a felony record. (what in Florida would be called a level 7 on the sentencing guidelines- mandatory minimum depending on record)

3rd Trimester-
Anyone- 15-30 year felony, usually get like 2 to 10 years in prison depending on the persons' priors.  (what in Florida would be called a level 8 on the sentencing guidelines- mandatory minimum for anyone)
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies