Why do 52% of MS GOPers and 48% AL GOPers think that Barack Obama is a Muslim?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:35:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Why do 52% of MS GOPers and 48% AL GOPers think that Barack Obama is a Muslim?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Why do 52% of MS GOPers and 48% AL GOPers think that Barack Obama is a Muslim?  (Read 5953 times)
Tidewater_Wave
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2012, 10:01:14 PM »

It's because he was educated in a madrassa in Indonesia. This isn't exactly hard, folks.

Oh and stuff like, "I believe the muslim call to prayer is the most beautiful sound in the world?" Dude, wtf?

Why at a higher rate in Mississippi and Alabama than America at large?

Lack of education and the Southern Baptist faith.  Quite simple really.

If I were a Democrat I'd be allowed to call you a racist.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2012, 10:03:39 PM »

A lot of them probably just answered that in a poll as a way to voice their disapproval of the president without actually believing it.
Tidewater_Wave
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2012, 10:21:07 PM »

liberal polling= brainwashing

No GOP actually thinks Obama is a Muslim. This is just another attempt from the far left to demonize and patronize those who think differently.

Actually, a large number of Republicans do indeed think that. This is just another attempt from the far right to defend idiocy and bigotry.

It can go both ways. What about the number of Democrats who think Bush was involved in 9/11?
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2012, 10:23:55 PM »

I would wager lower than half, even in Hawaii and Vermont.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2012, 03:13:54 PM »

liberal polling= brainwashing

No GOP actually thinks Obama is a Muslim. This is just another attempt from the far left to demonize and patronize those who think differently.

Actually, a large number of Republicans do indeed think that. This is just another attempt from the far right to defend idiocy and bigotry.

It can go both ways. What about the number of Democrats who think Bush was involved in 9/11?
Never polled quite as high, and is not quite as absurd an idea, but yes, your general point stands. Of course, the reason either way is...
A lot of them probably just answered that in a poll as a way to voice their disapproval of the president without actually believing it.
Except "disapproval" is too weak a word.
Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -5.13

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2012, 07:00:42 PM »

Honestly, I think it's an intelligence thing. To a lot of people of little brain Obama sounds a lot like Osama. I go to the University of Alabama and I can assure you there are a lot of semi-literate people in this state, and even more in Mississippi. MS was ranked as having an average IQ of 93 in a nation-wide survey, while the US overall had an IQ of about 100. A lot of people don't really think that hard.

Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2012, 11:43:28 PM »

It's because he was educated in a madrassa in Indonesia. This isn't exactly hard, folks.

Oh and stuff like, "I believe the muslim call to prayer is the most beautiful sound in the world?" Dude, wtf?

a) it's not a madrassa, it's was a private school - it's like the difference between a Catholic School and a Seminary... I went to a Catholic school for a time... I'm not Catholic. He was then sent to a public secular school... so PLEASE get a clue and stop reading RW bs.

b) Have you ever heard the call to prayer in person? I have, and despite my sheer disagreement with much of the religion... it is actually quite beautiful to hear.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2012, 11:49:53 PM »

I think the call to prayer is definitely in the top ten most beautiful, after the mountain wind, the sea wind, some kinds of seagulls, and maybe some of my favorite hymns (my top three are 'Adam Lay Ybownden', the Boris Ord setting; 'Forty Days and Forty Nights'; and 'Singing Songs of Expectation', all of which strike me as extremely Anglican culturally so I don't know if Ben would know any of them).

/totally germane contribution
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2012, 03:35:17 PM »

If we're talking about sounds of prayer, my personal preference is for the sound of the whole congregation saying "Amen" in unison at the end of Al-Fatihah.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2012, 09:08:54 PM »

I think we all know what they really want to say he is...
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2012, 11:19:35 PM »

MS was ranked as having an average IQ of 93 in a nation-wide survey, while the US overall had an IQ of about 100. A lot of people don't really think that hard.

That has been debunked many times over.  All 50 states are within a point or 2 of 100.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2012, 10:44:26 AM »

MS was ranked as having an average IQ of 93 in a nation-wide survey, while the US overall had an IQ of about 100. A lot of people don't really think that hard.

That has been debunked many times over.  All 50 states are within a point or 2 of 100.

Yeah, because 98 is so much better.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2012, 06:54:20 PM »

Yeah, because 98 is so much better.
Of course it is.  If Mississippi were 93 and some other state were 108, then there would be a state out there with a full standard deviation of IQ higher than us.

Luckily, that's all BS.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2012, 10:49:00 PM »

There is a basic disconnect between Republicans, particularly Southern rural ones, and reality. They're not interested in facts. They're interested in dogma. The wide-eyed true-believer faith of lower taxes, creationism, victimology, and xenophobia. It's a very shallow world filled with theraputic alienation.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2012, 12:42:29 PM »

There is a basic disconnect between Republicans, particularly Southern rural ones, and reality. They're not interested in facts. They're interested in dogma. The wide-eyed true-believer faith of lower taxes, creationism, victimology, and xenophobia. It's a very shallow world filled with theraputic alienation.

I think this might be the worst case of alienation in a non-totalitarian country.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2012, 10:11:54 PM »

Let's just say those states are the most anti-media, anti-education, pro-religion, and pro-homogeneity states in the union.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies