The Good Old Days by Reaganfan
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:21:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Good Old Days by Reaganfan
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The Good Old Days by Reaganfan  (Read 3975 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2012, 10:27:48 AM »

The fact that so many mock me and/or become defensive is troubling. Ask any ordinary American what they think about political correctness, reality television, ect and they all give you the same negative reaction. If so, then who are the ones condoning it, and who are the ones supporting it?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2012, 11:04:35 AM »

Dude, seriously, there is no greater uber mega-billion$$$$ win for tv than reality tv.

And I agree, definie "ordinary".
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2012, 11:07:47 AM »

The Good Old Days were the 1920s.

King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2012, 12:08:49 PM »

The fact that so many mock me and/or become defensive is troubling. Ask any ordinary American what they think about political correctness, reality television, ect and they all give you the same negative reaction. If so, then who are the ones condoning it, and who are the ones supporting it?

What?
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2012, 12:45:38 PM »

Reaganfan- I find your post to be very well written and I agree that thre are many differences between now and hte past... the 50s were much simpler and over all happier. I also agree that it should not be taboo to talk about the 50s in that way- of course no one wishes blacks to be segregated. There is nothing wrong with wanting to return America to the attitude of hope that defined th time I grew up but remember that there was also fear... constant duck and cover drills in grade school including wearing a dog tag so our bodies could be identified. People forget how awfully frightening Sputnik was... to think the Russians had control over space- UFOs doing bidding for our enemy... also don't forget how my mother and her mother saw Elvis Presley the way folks my age see Lady GaGa!
My point is this- it is just fine to remember the good aspects of the past but do not forget that there were challenges then too and even though it may seem that today's challenges are worse- we still love our country and our country will pull through as she always does...
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2012, 01:10:31 PM »

I really don't have anything that's not negative to say in this thread...
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2012, 01:37:05 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2012, 01:39:26 PM by fezzyfestoon »

I skimmed over most of the original post, but one thing caught my eye; The comparison of '90s culture to a largely dystopian feel to the 2010s. I think the somewhat more depressed tone of our culture has a lot more to do with ourselves than it does with our government. The government to me seems to be more about globbing on and riding the people than actually being a catalyst to positive change. They made themselves out to be greater than they were during the economic success of the '90s and started doing more stupid, unnecessary things to make it even "better" and have subsequently screwed us so deeply we've noticed the giant monkey on our back. The government's over-involvement in our lives and its overbearing negative impact is irritating because it has only exacerbated the problems we had already been dealing with. They created unnecessary economic bubbles and set us up to fall so much deeper than we would have. The government wasn't good in the '80s and '90s, they were just playing on our own successes and taking credit while acting like they were making things even better. The government's actions in the "Glory Days" were far worse than they are now. That mindless and needless grandstanding coupled with greed-fueled abuse led us to where we are now. They could do it under our noses because we were doing so fine (and were so narrow-minded) that we didn't bother to figure out the stupid government. They weren't making things worse for us at the moment, so we let them toil and pretend to be great. Now, when they're supposed to be here (and were the ones that put us here), we're finally turning around and looking in the face saying, "what the hell?" The "glory" of those days were just a cruel facade that should have been quite easy to see through. True to American culture though, we chose to ignore mounting problems until they threatened us with complete collapse.

I guess my point in a more succinct sense would be that the positivity of the '90s was just an illusion brought on by the high of near universal success. Being slammed back down to earth by those propping us will give us a better view of just what they were doing right under us the whole time.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2012, 04:09:25 PM »

I really don't have anything that's not negative to say in this thread...

You hate America.
I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2012, 04:24:02 PM »

That's it. It's final.

Reaganfan '12! Smiley

k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2012, 09:32:14 AM »

This sucked.

Except Reservoir Dogs and Fargo being in there. That was kinda cool.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2012, 05:58:08 PM »

Only Naso could list those two and Armageddon as his favorite movies.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies