US soldier goes on killing spree in Afghanistan
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:27:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  US soldier goes on killing spree in Afghanistan
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US soldier goes on killing spree in Afghanistan  (Read 3383 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 11, 2012, 09:32:05 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17332398
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 09:34:05 AM »

So... er...

a) This is pretty terrible in all respects, obviously.

b) oh sh!t.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 10:07:03 AM »

Wow, that sucks a lot on several levels.  A ton of sh**t is going to come out of this.  After we confirm that the facts are the facts, we should turn him over to the local courts and let the locals get some of their frustrations out.  Other people are still going to die because of this, but maybe that kind of act would lessen the reaction a bit.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 10:11:14 AM »

I hope this bastard rots in jail for the rest of his miserable life.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 10:21:02 AM »

Really terrible of course.

Pobably time for Obama again to hop into the apologizing role and Republicans to attack him for that.

Better solution would be to get the f**k out of this wrecked country as soon as possible.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 11:38:49 AM »

You will rarely see me critical of a member of our military- but this bastard not only apparently killed innocent people but is putting the lives of Amerians in danger... I know that the court-martial will have ZERO mercy on this monster

I agree with Tender Branson- GET OUT OF THERE
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 11:39:29 AM »

Defending freedom abroad. Carry on, soldier.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 12:02:40 PM »

This guy deserves life without parole.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 12:41:38 PM »

If I were Obama, I'd order him transferred to Afghan courts even if he faces the death penalty. This is clearly beyond US jurisdiction.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 12:45:47 PM »

If I were Obama, I'd order him transferred to Afghan courts even if he faces the death penalty. This is clearly beyond US jurisdiction.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 12:55:50 PM »

The Taliban must seriously be thinking Allah gave them this propaganda tool, since no one could dream this shiat up. Republicans will slam Obama as usual, so he should prepare to respond that a similar thing is expected if a foreign soldier does the same thing in Texas. The more the decision is delayed, the more American flags are burned by angry mobs.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 02:16:56 PM »

This person will get a slap on the wrist, like the last guy who murdered Middle Eastern children.  And meanwhile, a young man who didn't harm anyone faces life in prison, with droves of people calling for his head on a platter...
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 06:23:34 PM »

Why are we still there again?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 07:26:59 PM »

To defend freedom, of course.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 08:26:32 PM »

"Thank you for your service"

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2012, 09:39:44 PM »

Yes.  One rogue soldier does not defeat the entire purpose of our being there.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2012, 03:27:10 PM »

Yes.  One rogue soldier does not defeat the entire purpose of our being there.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2012, 05:55:37 PM »

If the purpose to being there is to cause death and destruction, we're doing a bang up job.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2012, 03:45:44 PM »

If the purpose to being there is to cause death and destruction, we're doing a bang up job.

Well, we have killed a lot of the enemy (AQ, Taliban and Haqqani) but also too many civilians in the process. We've built roads, schools and wells but have also leveled villages.  There are not many good options between the corrupt Karzai regime, the various Talibans and the countless other factions.  Sadly, there is going to be a lot more bloodshed when we pull up stakes.  At this stage I like the "Biden" plan to quickly and vastly reduce the footprint.  Have airpower and drones and protection elements for those assets.  When the claret starts flowing-try to step in and make sure the less bad guys win.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 05:14:47 PM »

Most of the civilians killed in Afghanistan have been killed by the Taliban and the terrorists. Too many by us, of course, but a point worth remembering
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2012, 09:32:50 PM »

So I'm not sure about the legalities of it, but provided that this guy is sane enough to know the difference between right and wrong I kind of think it would be best if we extradite him to the Afghanistan government. The guy wasn't acting under orders, so he wasn't acting as one of our soldiers, and so his crime could be considered a domestic one - we give him to their government to be tried by their laws. I think that would probably placate some people and prevent some violence, since we'd be letting them dispense the justice on the person who committed the crime.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2012, 09:38:13 PM »

So I'm not sure about the legalities of it, but provided that this guy is sane enough to know the difference between right and wrong I kind of think it would be best if we extradite him to the Afghanistan government. The guy wasn't acting under orders, so he wasn't acting as one of our soldiers, and so his crime could be considered a domestic one - we give him to their government to be tried by their laws. I think that would probably placate some people and prevent some violence, since we'd be letting them dispense the justice on the person who committed the crime.

Obviously not excusing his barbarity and unspeakable crimes but I'm sure it will also transpire that D.O.D. failed him on several occasions. -Not sure what that means yet but Id at least like to know before we set him loose to mob justice.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2012, 09:43:10 PM »

Obviously not excusing his barbarity and unspeakable crimes but I'm sure it will also transpire that D.O.D. failed him on several occasions. -Not sure what that means yet but Id at least like to know before we set him loose to mob justice.

Which is why I put the sanity check condition on there. And yes we should be sure there's good evidence he did it too.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2012, 09:51:32 PM »

Which is why I put the sanity check condition on there. And yes we should be sure there's good evidence he did it too.

Yes, agreed. I also mean something akin to sanity checks and mental care stretching further back.  What treatment and care did he receive for his past injury on deployment and whether he got the required care when he got back the last 3 times. Was his screening to re-deploy simply proforma. etc.    I think these questions will require some digging and likely wouldn't sate any blood lust if it is done in a proper timeline.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2012, 12:54:07 PM »

If any one is under the impression that a court-martial would be more lenient on this guy then an Afghan court... you are mistaken
This guy is getting other soldiers killed in addition to commiting a barbaric crime in murdering civilians
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies