Office of Senator Clarence
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:57:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of Senator Clarence
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Office of Senator Clarence  (Read 4711 times)
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2012, 08:31:13 PM »

But evolution is not fact and shouldn't be taught as such. What I'm saying is that the various views of our beginnings should be taught and debated in our classrooms much like the issue over prayer in school is.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2012, 08:38:27 PM »

JCL, are you familiar with Project Steve?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2012, 08:49:45 PM »

JCL, are you familiar with Project Steve?

Goes to show that even the scientific community is divided. The evolution side may have a 1% edge but we have Ron and Rand Paul.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2012, 08:54:52 PM »

But evolution is not fact and shouldn't be taught as such. What I'm saying is that the various views of our beginnings should be taught and debated in our classrooms much like the issue over prayer in school is.
Look...that's wonderful.  But could you keep this kind of thing in the Religion board, rather than airing your personal politics in this game?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2012, 09:07:13 PM »

Look...that's wonderful.  But could you keep this kind of thing in the Religion board, rather than airing your personal politics in this game?

But I'm not the only that airs personal politics.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2012, 09:18:31 PM »

Excuse me for interjecting. I attend a Catholic school, and throughout middle school and early high school, the ideas of evolution were clearly explained and whatnot. Hell, they were probably accepted as fact or close to it by the teaching, and probably as fact by the teachers. And that was in a Catholic school. The job of a science class is to teach theories as theories, not to get into a huge debate. The fact that almost no one in my school today believes in the religion is much more the fault of bad religion teachers than anything else. Point is, you want religion, you send your kid home and talk to them at the dinner table, or you send them to a religious school. Evolution is the dominating scientific theory on the creation of life and should be taught as such.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2012, 09:29:00 PM »

Excuse me for interjecting. I attend a Catholic school, and throughout middle school and early high school, the ideas of evolution were clearly explained and whatnot. Hell, they were probably accepted as fact or close to it by the teaching, and probably as fact by the teachers. And that was in a Catholic school. The job of a science class is to teach theories as theories, not to get into a huge debate. The fact that almost no one in my school today believes in the religion is much more the fault of bad religion teachers than anything else. Point is, you want religion, you send your kid home and talk to them at the dinner table, or you send them to a religious school. Evolution is the dominating scientific theory on the creation of life and should be taught as such.

I totally understand that. What I'm advocating is competition of view.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2012, 09:38:09 PM »

What's the scientific basis for teaching creationism on par with evolution?
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2012, 09:52:24 PM »

I'd appreciate if the discussion on theology could go somewhere else... JCL, Yelnoc, Pres- I'm looking at you ;-)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2012, 09:54:24 PM »

I'd appreciate if the discussion on theology could go somewhere else... JCL, Yelnoc, Pres- I'm looking at you ;-)

I honestly don't care enough to bother continuing shouting at a brick wall. Apologies Senator.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2012, 09:56:52 PM »

What's the scientific basis for teaching creationism on par with evolution?

I will yield to the Senator's wishes but President Polnut does bring up a good question that I will answer elsewhere.  
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2012, 11:39:42 PM »

The Catholic Church is down with evolution. They got burned on the whole geocentrism thing (or rather a lot of scientists did). In any case, they're trying to stay ahead of the curve on this one. Unfortunately, they're totally missing the boat on all other things sexual and reproductive. Hopefully it won't take them hundreds of years to fix that one.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2012, 11:43:11 PM »

The Catholic Church is down with evolution. They got burned on the whole geocentrism thing (or rather a lot of scientists did). In any case, they're trying to stay ahead of the curve on this one. Unfortunately, they're totally missing the boat on all other things sexual and reproductive. Hopefully it won't take them hundreds of years to fix that one.

memphis is postin' in atlasia? Shocked
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2012, 12:00:32 AM »

No, they're getting the sex issues dealt with, especially regarding renegade(ones messing with kids) priests though a bit late. If they, and many other Christian sects want to stay conservative on this, let them.
Look at the Islamic world, they are having kids at the rate many western Christians once did and at some point may out populate the Christian world. That is something I don't want.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2012, 10:01:35 AM »

I'm sorry, but how are we supposed to be swayed towards the belief that the Earth was created 6,000 years ago?

Also, the technical definition of Evolution doesn't exactly forbid the existence of a God.

Just saying.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2012, 12:49:13 PM »

No, they're getting the sex issues dealt with, especially regarding renegade(ones messing with kids) priests though a bit late. If they, and many other Christian sects want to stay conservative on this, let them.
Look at the Islamic world, they are having kids at the rate many western Christians once did and at some point may out populate the Christian world. That is something I don't want.
Wait a minute, American conservatives fear Eurabia too?  Shocked
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2012, 02:46:46 PM »

Some actually do. I don't except in the aspects of human and civil liberty.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2012, 04:48:04 PM »

There's a difference between stepping back and looking at the scientific evidence, and merely saying "Well, people think it's right, so we gotta change!" What would be the point of a religion existing, especially one such as the Church where reliance on the past 2000 years of tradition is so important, if it merely were to reverse its stance on an issue once a certain side of it became popular. Would there be any reason to even be part of it if it continually moved--not just adjusted or re-evaluated, but shifted entirely--with the times?

On a side note, I'm wondering what your religious views are, and why the stance of a certain Church is that much of an issue for you.

Lastly, an apology to clarence for this debate dragging on so long inside your thread.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2012, 05:43:35 PM »

I want to interject about something other than teaching the Bible in schools.

I admire your idea to allow parents to enroll their children in any public school within their district. I'd caution, though, that this could be made to displace local students from nearby schools. What happens if people from the far end of the district fill up the closest school to a child living below the poverty line. I understand that providing the child with transportation to get to his school is an option, but it kind of flies in the face of giving parents a choice--what if they don't want their kids to take the bus? Moreover, that transportation becomes a big state expense.

I'd suggest making two enrollment periods. Give local students first priority to their nearest schools: "Yes, I want my child to go to his regular school," or "No, I will not be enrolling my student in his regular school." Once that window has closed, give the parents carte blanche.

I think that will reduce some of the problems that unbridled school choice would create. It's what I fought for in the IDS. Parents get a choice, but kids who need to go to their home school won't be displaced.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2012, 08:52:32 PM »

Wait a minute, American conservatives fear Eurabia too?  Shocked
Just for the lulz, I was listening to the local conservative Hate Radio today. They were advocating ending all immigration for all Muslims. And banning them from military service. Among other proposals.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2012, 02:40:19 PM »

I am honored to have received high approval ratings from the recent poll...

Approve - Senator Clarence (W-FL)       21 (16.8%)
Disapprove - Senator Clarence (W-FL)       5 (4%)

I will continue to represent to the best of my ability and be an active and respectful Senator and earn the trust you've placed in me by your election and your approval
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2012, 08:36:43 AM »

Folks- I'll be away most all this next week...I volunteer every year to assist with a program thru the Legion which many of the young men on here have attended recently. I likely won't have access to the web starting tomorrow....so I will "see" you in a week!
Best,
clarence
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2012, 09:37:26 AM »

Enjoy your week and have fun!
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2012, 09:23:40 AM »

For future reference, it might be advisable to put such a notice in a separate thread titled "Leave of Absence". There has never been any situation to define what counts as an office leave of absence and what does not and I would hate to lose you because someone strikes gold in a court case. Wink
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2012, 05:39:32 PM »

Senator Clarence on Attack on Israeli Tourists

"I offer my condolences to the families and friends of those murdered today in Bulgaria and will keep those recovering from their injuries in my prayers. It is a sad reflection on our world today that Jews still are not safe from hate and terror... I don't know who is behind these attacks but urge the Napoleon Administration to cooperate with the Israelis and our other allies to find out and bring them to swift justice. If Iran is found to be behind these attacks- I urge President Napoleon to stand alongside our ally Israel as they respond in whatever manner they see fit to this act of war."
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies