Who would win contested convention?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:34:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Who would win contested convention?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Who would win contested convention?
Romney

Santorum

Gingrich

Paul

Dark Horse (Palin, Bush, Christie, Paul, Daniels, etc.)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Author Topic: Who would win contested convention?  (Read 5609 times)
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 14, 2012, 03:19:09 PM »
« edited: March 14, 2012, 03:29:06 PM by Tell That To A Plant Voter »

The Santorum and Gingrich campaigns admit their guys will likely not get a majority of delegates, but they can keep Mitt from getting 1144 too. Their assumption is that a contested convention will result in one of them being nominated.

So lets assume a likely scenario where Romney only has a plurality. Also that even if all the unpledged delegates swung to Romney, it wouldn't be enough for a majority. Something like this 1st ballot delegate breakdown....

Romney 47%
Santorum: 41%
Gingrich: 6%
Paul: 6%

So...who does the convention nominate in this kind of scenario?

...and how doe they do it? (cutting a deal? defections by opponents delegates?)
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 03:32:41 PM »

I'm assuming it'd be Santorum if Romney doesn't win on the first ballot. I don't know what dark horse would place their hat in the ring, other than Palin or another no-chance candidate. If it goes to the convention that means Santorum will have won a significant number of states (places like NC, IN, WI, KY, PA, TX, WV, LA, possibly NJ and NM). To not have it go to him would hardly be fair. I think you'd see defections from Gingrich and Romney towards him, but few defections from Santorum to either of the other camps. Gingrich isn't going to back Romney, period. His delegates have nowhere else to go. The conservatives who back Romney because of his electability wouldn't have much reason to stay with him, because in that kind of fight Romney becomes so weak as to be almost unelectable, imo.

However, if Gingrich stays in the race and hasn't endorsed Santorum I think it's a moot point, because Romney will almost certainly secure a majority unless Rick pulls off some major wins in IL and WI here in the next few weeks.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 03:53:45 PM »

The problem with the 'dark horse' theory - is that the folks who prefer Palin, are perfectly happy with Santorum.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 03:59:19 PM »

The problem with the 'dark horse' theory - is that the folks who prefer Palin, are perfectly happy with Santorum.

They'd largely be happy with Santorum over Romney, but I think there's less overlap between Santorum and Palin's constituencies than you'd imagine. There's far more overlap between her supporters and those of Gingrich. I'd even go so far as to say that within the conservative Christian electorate there's a definite difference between those you'd find supporting Santorum and those supporting Gingrich/Palin.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 04:01:33 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2012, 04:04:51 PM by Tell That To A Plant Voter »

If it goes to the convention that means Santorum will have won a significant number of states (places like NC, IN, WI, KY, PA, TX, WV, LA, possibly NJ and NM). To not have it go to him would hardly be fair.

But Romney would still have more delegates (including more pledged delegates) and more states won, even if Rick won the states you mention above. So how exactly would it be unfair to Rick?

To move into a 'fairness' thing, Rick is going to have to go in with more of something...more pledged delegates, more popular votes and/or more states won.

Right now the Santorum campaign is saying that in the above scenario, Gingrich delgates will flock to Rick along with a chunk of Romney delegates who they claim are going to be stealth conservatives who prefer Rick because they were picked at county and state conventions. I am not sure I buy this argument
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 04:03:34 PM »

I can't imagine a circumstance where the Republican Party has the balls to deprive the plurality winner of the nomination, especially when I'm sure the media would turn it into 10X the news story necessary. People would be riled up by the media implanting the idea of some sort of injustice or false nominee that they would foam at the mouth over.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 04:05:57 PM »

I agree with fezzyfestoon- whoever wins the most popular votes will be the nominee
ajb
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 04:08:03 PM »

I can't imagine a circumstance where the Republican Party has the balls to deprive the plurality winner of the nomination, especially when I'm sure the media would turn it into 10X the news story necessary. People would be riled up by the media implanting the idea of some sort of injustice or false nominee that they would foam at the mouth over.

Romney currently has about 40% of the popular vote (Santorum is at about a quarter), and there are some states ahead that should be good for Romney even if he falters. Under those circumstances, I don't think Santorum getting 41% of the delegates would be enough for him to be handed the nomination in Tampa. He needs to dominate the race going ahead, not simply run competitive with Romney, and he needs to convince the party that Romney is not a viable general election candidate.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 04:09:39 PM »

I agree with fezzyfestoon- whoever wins the most popular votes will be the nominee

It might not be that simple. Obama had more pledged delegates but Hillary had more popular votes in 2008. Before getting to the convnetion (or even a chance at a second ballot) the Supers backed Obama and put him over the top. There was some grumbling, but he did ok.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 04:11:22 PM »

I didn't realize HIllary beat Obama in popular vote... I am surprised there was not more outrage. I thought it was the other way around- with Hillary winning more delegates but Obama with popular vote
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 04:14:40 PM »

Clinton won the popular vote because the actual vote totals aren't recorded in Democratic caucuses, only the delegate totals. Obama won all but one of the caucuses, often with very healthy margins. So the popular vote is leaving out the votes from some of his best states.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 04:15:26 PM »

Ah but 2008 was a one on one race, which mucks it up a lot more. Neither had an outright claim to the lead. In this race it's pretty clear Romney is the front-runner in all respects. In order for the right to lay claim to a split race, one would almost have to endorse the other sooner rather than later. ajb is right that in order to really be considered a legitimate nominee, Santorum will have to do extraordinarily well until the convention. Romney is also right when it comes to his mathematical approach putting him at a massive advantage.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 04:17:14 PM »

Hillary beat Obama in popular vote factoring in Michigan and Florida, which were penalized by DNC rules, partially because Obama wasn't on the ballot in the former.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 04:19:26 PM »

Clinton won the popular vote because the actual vote totals aren't recorded in Democratic caucuses, only the delegate totals. Obama won all but one of the caucuses, often with very healthy margins. So the popular vote is leaving out the votes from some of his best states.

^ Yep.

The "Hillary won the popular vote!" was a popular myth among the always amusing Hillaryis44 crowd. Grin
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 04:21:11 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Popular vote essentially disenfranchises caucus states. If you're going to do it this way, take the percentages and split them up among the electoral college votes.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 04:24:13 PM »

Who was the last successful republican nominee to fail to win a state in the south?
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2012, 04:32:06 PM »

No successful republican nominee has failed to win MS.

MS has been the bellweather - choosing McCain in '08, and Ford in '76.

Ford won 2, and that's the worst performance of any Republican nominee, winning only MS and TN.

Even Ford won states like ND, KS and IA.

Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2012, 04:34:16 PM »

No successful republican nominee has failed to win MS.

MS has been the bellweather - choosing McCain in '08, and Ford in '76.

Ford won 2, and that's the worst performance of any Republican nominee, winning only MS and TN.

Even Ford won states like ND, KS and IA.

Alright, you are either ignorant or being deliberately dishonest. There was NO CONTEST for MS in 2008. Romney was no longer in the race, Huckabee was no longer in the race. It was basically UNCONTESTED.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012, 04:35:12 PM »

Who was the last successful republican nominee to fail to win a state in the south?

That's very fun and interesting to us speculators, but the results of past nominating contests have absolutely no real bearing on what is happening right now.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2012, 04:38:22 PM »

If it goes to the convention that means Santorum will have won a significant number of states (places like NC, IN, WI, KY, PA, TX, WV, LA, possibly NJ and NM). To not have it go to him would hardly be fair.

But Romney would still have more delegates (including more pledged delegates) and more states won, even if Rick won the states you mention above. So how exactly would it be unfair to Rick?

To move into a 'fairness' thing, Rick is going to have to go in with more of something...more pledged delegates, more popular votes and/or more states won.

Right now the Santorum campaign is saying that in the above scenario, Gingrich delgates will flock to Rick along with a chunk of Romney delegates who they claim are going to be stealth conservatives who prefer Rick because they were picked at county and state conventions. I am not sure I buy this argument

Unfair if it goes to a candidate other than Romney or Santorum. I should have specified...
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2012, 04:39:16 PM »

Firstly Romney has won two states in the south: VA and FL (or was their a meeting I missed where they were kicked out?).

Secondly, so the GOP wants to make the case that MS is their true barometer? THat is the shining beacon of the party? Should they just skip the 2016+ primary battles and just leave it to MS to decide from now on? 
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2012, 04:42:32 PM »

And? The point is that MS has gone with every single eventual nominee, including Ford vs Reagan, throwing to Ford over Reagan and costing him the nomination.

Every republican nominee has had at least some significant southern support. Romney has none.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2012, 04:43:30 PM »

Firstly Romney has won two states in the south: VA and FL (or was their a meeting I missed where they were kicked out?).

Winning 59% in a head-to-head with Ron Paul isn't something he should be touting.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2012, 04:44:27 PM »

Past results indicate that Romney is an extremely weak candidate for the republican nomination. Weaker than McCain, who was by no means a strong candidate.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2012, 04:47:39 PM »

I suppose you think California would be a better choice?

Look, I know it's hard to believe but yes, MS is an important state in the Republican nomination. I'm sorry it's hard for you to understand but yes, people actually like the folks in the South and consider them to be good people. 
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies