Who would win contested convention?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:36:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Who would win contested convention?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Who would win contested convention?
Romney

Santorum

Gingrich

Paul

Dark Horse (Palin, Bush, Christie, Paul, Daniels, etc.)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Author Topic: Who would win contested convention?  (Read 5610 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2012, 01:34:26 PM »

The same man who would win an uncontested convention.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2012, 01:39:39 PM »

So some states should count more than others? Is that the logic?

Well in that case, the Romney again should come out on top because he keeps winning in the swing states like OH and FL. And his win in traditional dem states shows he has more appeal for a general election.

Sorry.  But the idea that primary results between the candidates of one party can be taken as indicative of how they will perform in the general election is not proven, as Senators-unelect Miller, Fiorina, Buck, O'Donnel, and Angle can all point out.

I was only making the straw man argument of how two can play the game of "my states are better than your states"...you cut off my next line pointing out how the whole notion is sillly.

so yes i agree.

In the end I think that whoever goes in with a plurality will win. I just dont see how Santorum can make the case that his votes are more significant. It will get trickier if Santorum+Gingrich>Romney and if Gingrich endorses Santorum.

But in the end I think that Santorum has to make his goal to not just force a contested convention but to also come close to matching Romney's pledged delegates. And that is a much harder thing to do.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2012, 01:52:35 PM »

Romney would easily win a contested convention, especially one where he already has 47% of delegates. The entire GOP establishment would mobilize the troops for him, making whatever deals necessary.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2012, 03:12:09 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Here's another fact, only one person has ever won the presidency losing > 10 states along the way in the primary, and he only did so by defeating another person who also lost > 10 states.

Face it, Romney's going to get blown out in the general.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2012, 06:27:24 PM »

How many people outside of Virginia even know who he is?

And for that matter how many people base their vote primarily on the proximity of the VP candidate's state to their home state, or who the VP candidate is at all?

Trust me, being the only southerner out of the four candidates for president/vice-president is all it is going to take.
1992: Bill Clinton and Al Gore
1996: Bill Clinton and Al Gore
2000: Al Gore
2004: John Edwards

Your argument is invalid.

The obvious difference between these southerners and McDonnell: Bob is a Republican.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2012, 06:50:55 PM »

That's an interesting trivia question.

Who was the only Southern vice president republican nominee?
Blazinator
Rookie

« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2012, 07:30:07 PM »

However, if Gingrich stays in the race and hasn't endorsed Santorum I think it's a moot point, because Romney will almost certainly secure a majority unless Rick pulls off some major wins in IL and WI here in the next few weeks.

Rick will win WI and it's about 50/50 for IL.
Blazinator
Rookie

« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2012, 07:33:12 PM »

Here's another fact, only one person has ever won the presidency losing > 10 states along the way in the primary, and he only did so by defeating another person who also lost > 10 states.

Face it, Romney's going to get blown out in the general.

Not if he's not the nominee.
Tidewater_Wave
United States

« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2012, 07:52:54 PM »

Chris Christie
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2012, 07:58:12 PM »

Here are some real facts: Well there have only been 10 elections in the modern primary era. Yet in that time 3 nominees with 11+ loses have won.

And given that Santorum will almost certainly have more losses than Romney, what is your point?
nhmagic
azmagic
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.62, S: 4.61

« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2012, 08:21:56 PM »

I would rather that Palin enter at the convention and be our nominee than the lot we have.  She's the only one that discusses the real issues that can defeat the president:

Gas Prices
Food Prices (which is an issue none of our candidates have even mentioned)
Hatred of the Fed
Obamacare
Jobs

Combined with the enthusiasm she produces, she would be an excellent candidate.  For example, I know two mainline democrats who voted for Obama in 2008.  They said that if Palin ran, they would vote for her.  Just sayin...
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2012, 09:47:10 PM »

Mitt Romney: "Hey, Ron Paul, want to write the platform? I'll let you put everything you want in there except for that whacky foreign policy and drug stuff! And you can speak in front of the convention about it, too! And I'll tell you what. All you have to do is get your delegates to vote for me. And hey, if Christie still thinks he's too fat to campaign, I promise you that I'll even think about putting Rand on the ticket with me!"

*Ron Paul giggles like a school girl and jumps with joy*

(Seriously, that's probably all it would take for Romney to win the nomination if he's on the cusp of a majority heading into Tampa.)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2012, 09:48:51 PM »

you're assuming the Paultarded ninjas would bow that easily
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2012, 09:54:15 PM »

It ultimately depends on how many of them actually make it through the various caucuses and state conventions to get to Tampa. If they're few in number, they'll be easy to corral and could probably be talked in to accepting Platform Committee spots as a compromise if they see they're outnumbered badly. You're right though that all bets are off if a ton of them do manage to make it.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2012, 10:01:41 PM »

That Romney is a terrible candidate?
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2012, 10:03:58 PM »

And for that matter how many people base their vote primarily on the proximity of the VP candidate's state to their home state, or who the VP candidate is at all?

Trust me, being the only southerner out of the four candidates for president/vice-president is all it is going to take.

The obvious difference between these southerners and McDonnell: Bob is a Republican.

He's also not really a Southerner. He's a Catholic who was born in Philadelphia and grew up in the DC burbs. And his popularity within VA is based on his moderation, if anything. Not sure if that's what Romney wants...
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2012, 04:52:06 AM »

Your argument was that being the only Southerner on the ticket would win the South over.

That's an interesting trivia question.

Who was the only Southern vice president republican nominee?
I assume Texas doesn't count as the South (GHWBush/Cheney), right?

I would rather that Palin enter at the convention and be our nominee than the lot we have.  She's the only one that discusses the real issues that can defeat the president:

Gas Prices
Food Prices (which is an issue none of our candidates have even mentioned)
Hatred of the Fed
Obamacare
Jobs

Combined with the enthusiasm she produces, she would be an excellent candidate.  For example, I know two mainline democrats who voted for Obama in 2008.  They said that if Palin ran, they would vote for her.  Just sayin...

From a poll of SC Republicans:
(link)

Sarah Palin is totally unelectable.

Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies