Rank these 12 states from most to least likely for Obama
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:32:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Rank these 12 states from most to least likely for Obama
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Rank these 12 states from most to least likely for Obama  (Read 6195 times)
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2012, 10:13:30 PM »

IN and AZ shouldnt even be on the list, those are likely REP right now.
http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2011/PPP_Release_AZ_0222.pdf

47-47 / 47-46 does not count as "likely REP".
Once Romney becomes nominee, expect the gap to widen.
Same source:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

As this clearly reenforces what I was saying. Stop trying to think Obama can win all 50 states, not going to happen.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2012, 10:55:44 AM »

but PPP had a much better record the past couple cycles than Rasmussen.

MO, AZ and GA are the only McCain states Obama is likely to be competitive in; if he wins those, he's probably held his 2008 states though IN could swing either way.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2012, 12:15:03 PM »

PA
IA
CO
NV
OH
VA
NH
-------- As of now, Obama wins all states above the line.
NC
FL
AZ
IN
MO

That's very realistic. If Rubio is the VP nominee, then I see CO, NM, and NV going red as well.

I'd disagree on the extent of Rubio's appeal to Southwestern Hispanics (very different culture to Florida Hispanics) and in particular doubt NM will flip absent some enormity, but those states might well tighten.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2012, 12:18:01 PM »

PA
IA
CO
NV
OH
VA
NH
NC
FL
AZ
IN
MO

That's very realistic. If Rubio is the VP nominee, then I see CO, NM, and NV going red as well.

I'd disagree on the extent of Rubio's appeal to Southwestern Hispanics (very different culture to Florida Hispanics) and in particular doubt NM will flip absent some enormity, but those states might well tighten.

Good list Nathan, though like Nagas I would switch up VA and OH, although they will vote about the same. And yeah, Rubio will likely have no appeal with Hispanics in the southwest. If the Republicans could they would bring the entire country of Cuba over here, but  on the other hand are overtly anti-Mexican. If the Republicans think they did bad with the Hispanic vote in 2008, they haven't seen nothing yet.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2012, 01:27:59 PM »

PA
IA
CO
NV
OH
VA
NH
NC
FL
AZ
IN
MO

Good list Nathan, though like Nagas I would switch up VA and OH, although they will vote about the same. And yeah, Rubio will likely have no appeal with Hispanics in the southwest. If the Republicans could they would bring the entire country of Cuba over here, but  on the other hand are overtly anti-Mexican. If the Republicans think they did bad with the Hispanic vote in 2008, they haven't seen nothing yet.

Rubio's selection would help solidify Florida's Cuban-Americans for the GOP but that's about it

Florida's Hispanic vote ain't, politically, homogenous. Conservative older Cuban Americans are reliably Republican; however, younger Cuban Americans (Obama, in 2008, carried them against McCain) together with an expanding number of non-Cuban Hispanics tend to lean Democratic

I don't see Rubo having much of an effect with Hispanics, nationally, the majority of them being Mexican Americans, who may well trend further towards the Democratic Party
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2012, 01:37:21 PM »

PA, IA, CO, NV, OH, VA, NH, FL, NC, IN, MO, AZ
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2012, 02:23:35 PM »

PA --Romney has nothing to offer that any Republican hasn't already offered. Santorum? Someone is going to remind PA why it voted him out of the US Senate in 2006.
IA --  President Obama has done nothing to lose the state.
CO -- GOP disaster largely due to the rapidly-growing Hispanic presence.
NH -- Republicans  could win the state if they decide to spend all their resources in New Hampshire. There are 533 others.
OH -- President Obama saved the auto industry. Enough said.
NV -- But he can't resurrect the housing industry. Still the state will be flooded with campaign operatives from ultra-safe California.
VA -- Large black population; lots of government employees and contractors who know how their bread is buttered. Becoming a Northern State.
NC -- A real surprise in 2008, but clearly drifting D.
FL -- Large Hispanic population even if it is heavily Cuban. It's no longer enough for Republicans to say "I HATE FIDEL CASTRO", especially as Castro becomes less important than the environment, education, and employment.
MO -- Tough Senate seat to defend; this will attract attention from President Obama. Expect the Obama campaign to flood Missouri with campaign staff from Texas (where it is likely to be irrelevant in a loss) and sure-win states in the Midwest. President Obama may still be the worst possible Democrat for winning the Appalachian/Ozark white vote, but if he can pick that up he has a 450+ landslide in the Electoral College because he would then pick up Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Tennessee, West Virginia, and maybe Texas. 
AZ -- GOP is going nuts. Subtract 10% from John McCain's substandard win of 2008 and President Obama wins. 10% is roughly the average gain for a Favorite Son, and that makes the state close. Expect about every Arizona voter of Mexican origin to vote straight-D.
IN -- 2008 may have been a one-time fluke for President Obama. But he did save the auto industry even if that isn't quite as important in Indiana as in Ohio. Democrats could put a huge amount of money into Indiana in the event that the venerable Senator Lugar is tea-bagged.         

Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies