The GOP War on Women - The Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:34:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The GOP War on Women - The Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The GOP War on Women - The Megathread  (Read 25857 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: March 19, 2012, 09:17:14 PM »

And, as a radical feminist, I dislike the implication that the Republicans are the only ill facing American women, and that feminism can just scurry away back to the kitchen once abortion and contraception and other such things are secured.

^^^^^

Could not have said this better, though I'm not 100% positive my specific subset of feminism's desired solutions are entirely the same as Morgan's (in terms of public policy they're probably similar on contraception and might well be quite similar or quite different on abortion).

TJ, would or would not wanting or seeking an abortion, but being legally estopped from going through with it, itself constitute mortal sin?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 10:42:45 PM »

TJ, would or would not wanting or seeking an abortion, but being legally estopped from going through with it, itself constitute mortal sin?

You are correct (at least for seeking, wanting depends on the situation). However, the gravity of the sin, while still mortal, would be reduced.

Where exactly lies the rub in distinguishing in gravity between mortal sins? Is it just a question of the amount of penance required?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 04:41:22 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Bolded two specifications that make this entire line of argument not only wrong but completely meaningless, except maybe as a criticism of 'the world's great philosophical traditions' and 'the estimation of historians of philosophy'--or, of course, as in this case, an exercise in misogyny.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 04:53:34 PM »

How dare that misogynist talk about my Ayn in some terms! Tongue

I can subjectively but full-throatedly state for the umpteenth time that Ayn Rand was not a significant original thinker in any of the world's great philosophical traditions. Julian of Norwich, Tadano Makuzu, and G.E.M. Anscombe are the first three women who pop into my head when that concept does.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies