The GOP War on Women - The Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:08:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The GOP War on Women - The Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The GOP War on Women - The Megathread  (Read 25903 times)
Son of Will

« on: March 20, 2012, 04:53:43 PM »

Hi all.
I've been lurking here for months, but after seeing some of the responses in this thread, I just had to respond.

TJ, I have a happy, healthy 4 year old son. If I was to murder him because I could no longer take care of him (or didn't want to, for some reason), you would (rightly) label me a complete monster who needs to be (at the very least) imprisoned for the rest of my life.

Yet when a woman who cannot take care of her unborn child (or again, doesn't want to) seeks an abortion (which you SAY you believe is murder), you say that punishing her isn't the important thing.

Your position that abortion is murder is completely undermined by your treating them as two separate actions.

As another piece of evidence, in the years George W. Bush was in office, there were over 6.7 million abortions in the United States. During Clinton's term,  there were over 8.8 million abortions. In Reagan's term, there were almost 9.3 million abortions. In each of those cases, those numbers are higher than the number of murders committed in the Holocaust! Yet, you don't claim that any of those Presidents are worse than Hitler, or that the United States needs to be invaded in a massive world war to stop the wholescale slaughter of millions of innocent people.

TJ, in other posts you've made, I've seen you to be a person of upstanding moral  character, and while I may not always agree with everything you've said or every position you take, I've usually been able to respect your opinions. In this case, however, I wholeheartedly disagree with the opinions you've expressed here, and quite frankly, find your statements to be self-delusional.

I try to be open-minded, and if you believe I am being unfair, please tell me so with reasons why. I just find it hard to believe that you truly believe everything you've said here.
Son of Will

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 08:39:16 AM »
« Edited: March 21, 2012, 09:22:35 AM by Son of Will »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Thanks!

I apologize for putting my words in your mouth,and I generally agree with your thoughts on the justice system. However, my original point (which I didn't get across as clearly as I would have liked) remains. My point is that if you say abortion is equal to murder, then the consequences for both actions have to be the same. That is the whole basis of our justice system, that the same crimes have the same sentence.

I agree that invoking Godwin's Law rarely produces meaningful conversation, but I thought that in this specific case (talking about vast numbers of murders), it was a valid comparison. What else might you compare it to? I'm not trying to talk about who's worse, because you're right that it doesn't really matter anyway. I'm just trying to illustrate the magnitude of the crimes you claim are being committed in this country, and since you seem to understand, I see no further need to bring up that man or his crimes again in this conversation.

I would hope God WOULD make some distinction between crimes. Perhaps, though, that is another conversation at another date.

I'm not sure I see the moral difference. Choosing not to stop a murder when you are safely capable of doing so leaves you just as responsible for the death as the guy who pulled the trigger.

You're welcome!

I doubt that we'll ever be able to determine where life begins in a way that satisfies all people.

Perhaps delusional was a bad term, but the point I'm trying to make is this. You claim that abortion is murder and that you understand that the number of such murders would be on a nearly unprecdented scale in human history. However, I believe that your actions show you think otherwise. You do not wish abortion to be punished like murder (at least in the near-term), and you show no wish to stop it other than to provide more and more restrictions on it, until anybody would be to embarrased to get one.

I believe you argued earlier in the thread that holding an armed insurrection against the government would be futile, and it may be. But if you truly believed that your government was sanctioning the murder of MILLIONS of innocent people, wouldn't that be almost necessary, morally speaking, to start one anyway? Murder is one of the ultimate crimes in this world, and in the next. Something like that would need to be stopped now, by any means available, rather than at some indeterminate point in future.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies