What religon/spiritual movement do you identify with? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:46:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  What religon/spiritual movement do you identify with? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: If you were asked on a survey, which of the following options of religious affiliation would you identify with?
Roman Catholic

Baptist, Southern, National, or other conservative

Baptist, American or Northern

Methodist

Episcopalian or Anglican

Presbyterian

Assemblies of God, Church of God or other Charismatic

Nazarene, Wesleyan or other Holiness

Church of Christ or Disciples of Christ

Lutheran or Evangelical Free Church

Reformed

Congregationalist

Unitarian

LDS or Mormon

Jehovah's Witness

Adventist

Eastern Orthodox

Quaker

Jewish

Muslim

Hindu

Buddhist

Other Eastern religion

Pagan/Wicca

Spiritual, not religious

Atheist, agnostic, or humanist

Secular

Don't care

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 61

Author Topic: What religon/spiritual movement do you identify with?  (Read 6518 times)
Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -5.13

« on: March 19, 2012, 06:49:04 PM »

Exactly what it says on the tin.
Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 11:25:43 PM »

Also, what exactly would the third to last option (secular) refer to when there's also an option for 'Atheist, agnostic, or humanist'?

Sorry, that was a little confusing. I thought that it would be a little too simplistic if I categorized all the non-religious as either atheist/agnostic/humanist or don't care, so I added a third option for those who are essentially secular but do not wish to be characterized as atheists or agnostics.
Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 12:40:26 AM »

That's basically Congregationalist from what I understand.

No, it's actually mostly Methodist. The American denomination United Church of Christ is about half Congregationalist and half German free church.
Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 03:55:08 PM »

Pagan. I very loosely follow celtic revivalism (mostly just samhain, shamanism.. kinda pedestrian I have to admit)

That's actually good in my opinion. You don't want to get too deeply in Celtic revivalism. It's notoriously the  most anti-intellectual, anti-scholarly of all the pagan movements I've heard.
Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 04:09:49 PM »

Pagan. I very loosely follow celtic revivalism (mostly just samhain, shamanism.. kinda pedestrian I have to admit)

That's actually good in my opinion. You don't want to get too deeply in Celtic revivalism. It's notoriously the  most anti-intellectual, anti-scholarly of all the pagan movements I've heard.

I had a somewhat cursory, looking back quite campy interest in Celtic revivalism when I was younger. It resists, sometimes with considerable force, most actual scholarship about Celtic paganism (for instance, in its insistence that Druids did not practice human sacrifice, when it is fairly clear from the archaeological record that this varied according to time and place and there were in fact many Druidic cultures that were fairly bloodthirsty and particularly obsessed with severed heads). I still have a lot of that cultural interest, though; there are some very Celtic, pre-Synod of Whitby aspects to the way I (try to) practice Anglicanism.

I was referring specifically to pop-schlock writers like Peter Ellis who believe that the ancient Celts were matriarchal, didn't believe in violence, etc. Also despite all the romanticism surrounding the early pre-Whitby Celtic church scholars of the past thirty years now see that the early system was extremely corrupt, and that the culdee monks were often little more than puppets of the Irish/British royalty.
Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 04:27:03 PM »

Agreed. Much as i love my RC church I do admit that the Celtic rite prayers are more beautiful. Also the transition from inuslar to continental practices din't really occur until the 12th century (at least in Ireland) if that answers your question. I'm studying to earn my doctorate in Irish history so that excuses me being a know-it-all about this stuff Tongue
Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 04:30:23 PM »

And of course the reason why it's worse with Celtic paganism than other forms of paganism is a mix of Celtic paganism being based entirely on this "etheral" image of the Celts and the lack of written documents from the pre-Christian Celtic world.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies