Protesters rally over Florida teen's death, demand arrest
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:26:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Protesters rally over Florida teen's death, demand arrest
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: Protesters rally over Florida teen's death, demand arrest  (Read 17984 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2012, 11:17:00 AM »

It's probably really tough to see me post about Allen West and think it's anything but an attack.

Actually, on second look it makes a lot more sense now.

What I got from it (second time around) was "Republicans you don't have to defend that guy.  Look at Allen West for crying out loud."
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2012, 12:43:27 PM »

It was Sam's comment about how their must be money at stake for Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson to get involved. Sometimes, like when Jackson was crying at Obama's inauguration, the simplest explanation for someone's behavior is the best one. The Trayvon Martin case is horrifying, but for many African Americans it's just a particularly media-friendly incident of a reality that rarely gets attention.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2012, 01:27:43 PM »

It was Sam's comment about how their must be money at stake for Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson to get involved. Sometimes, like when Jackson was crying at Obama's inauguration, the simplest explanation for someone's behavior is the best one. The Trayvon Martin case is horrifying, but for many African Americans it's just a particularly media-friendly incident of a reality that rarely gets attention.

I happen to know Al Sharpton, and I wouldn't be saying that if it weren't true.  Perhaps it was not fair to put Jesse Jackson in the same sentence, as I don't know him personally.  Tongue

As for me, I will defend 'innocent until proven guilty' in all cases.  Those who are convicting him right now without knowledge of all facts are completely wrong, regardless of whether they are black, white, Republican, Democratic, race-hustlers, baiters, master debaters or otherwise.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2012, 02:25:04 PM »

As for me, I will defend 'innocent until proven guilty' in all cases.

...unless there's a cover story in the National Enquirer, which constitutes proof of guilt. Tongue

Anyway, none of our judgment has the force of law - only the courts can convict him of being guilty. We can only make our own judgments from the evidence we have before us and provide our opinions, which carry no weight at all in the real world.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2012, 10:32:06 PM »

I was under the impression the cops had questioned Zimmerman more, and then decided they didn't have enough to make an arrest.  But I guess I was wrong in that, so with that being said, I do think the police chief should be removed.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2012, 10:50:40 PM »
« Edited: March 25, 2012, 10:53:52 PM by Ogre Mage »

How could Zimmerman be "standing his ground" in "self-defense" when he went off in pursuit of an unarmed teenager -- a decision which went against both what the 911 dispatcher told him and general neighborhood watch protocol?  In fact, neighborhood watch is not supposed to carry firearms.  This isn't even a case where Zimmerman saw Martin on his property.  He just decided he looked "suspicious" and now the result is a dead unarmed teenager.

The local police failed to perform a real investigation in this case.  They did a drug and alcohol test on the victim but not the shooter.  They let Zimmerman go home with the gun used in the shooting.  This is beyond pathetic.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2012, 11:06:55 AM »

I was under the impression the cops had questioned Zimmerman more, and then decided they didn't have enough to make an arrest.  But I guess I was wrong in that, so with that being said, I do think the police chief should be removed.
He told the police that he had shot Martin, and while they were cuffing him, they noticed his back was wet, and his head was bleeding.  After Sanford fire department attended to his injuries, he was taken to the police station, and questioned.  The police investigation determined that there was not probable cause, and released him.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2012, 12:02:19 PM »

How could Zimmerman be "standing his ground" in "self-defense" when he went off in pursuit of an unarmed teenager -- a decision which went against both what the 911 dispatcher told him and general neighborhood watch protocol?  In fact, neighborhood watch is not supposed to carry firearms.  This isn't even a case where Zimmerman saw Martin on his property.  He just decided he looked "suspicious" and now the result is a dead unarmed teenager.
He was not on a neighborhood watch, he was in his car when he saw Martin and called the police.  He had a CHL, and if you are going to carry, it makes sense to always carry.

He did not pursue Martin.  After Martin started running, he apparently was driving along a street, and the dispatcher asked if he were following Martin.  He said yes, the dispatcher said that "we don't need you to do that", to which Zimmerman responded "OK".

The phone call lasted another 1-1/2 minutes.  So either Zimmerman had stopped; the dispatcher thought he had stopped; or the dispatcher thought it wasn't that important.

He later got out of his car.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
They did an autopsy on the victim, as they do in all cases.   After they took Zimmerman to the police station for questioning, he was released (one of the complaints was that a narcotics and alcohol investigator questioned Zimmerman, but the major crimes investigator was at the location of the shooting.

The police kept the gun as evidence.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2012, 12:35:09 PM »

I just looked up where Sanford is and I'm quite surprised. Why does an outer exurb of Orlando have such a high black population?
BigSkyBob

« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2012, 12:53:00 PM »

Considering that Zimmerman was the one who engaged him it doesn't matter, if the kid fought back it was self-defense on HIS part.

It matters who touched whom first, not who "engaged" whom first.  The Stand your ground law might have allowed Martin a defense for beating Zimmerman, but, that is a moot point now.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2012, 12:56:33 PM »

I just looked up where Sanford is and I'm quite surprised. Why does an outer exurb of Orlando have such a high black population?

It was a city of regional importance before the Mouse arrived and Orlando boomed. It incorporates several historic Black settlements.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2012, 01:07:14 PM »

Of course Zimmerman is going to say he was attacked, it serves his defense. I find it difficult to believe that someone with a gun is going to be screaming for help from someone who is smaller than they are. And he did get out of his car when emergency advised him not to. At any rate, the FBI and DOJ are said to be looking into this, so thank god that Zimmerman isn't just being given a free pass.

Is this any more reasonable than assuming that a physically larger man initiated a beatdown in which he prevailed, but, somehow had a broken nose, then, while sucessfully beating him down decided to shoot him for the Hell of it. Then, after shooting him, he calls out to witnesses to call the police.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2012, 01:11:31 PM »

Once again, Zimmerman, by every account, came up, unprovoked in any way, to Martin and initiated the altercation.

No, by all accounts Zimmerman left his car and approached Martin. Zimmerman may very well have initiated a conversation. Whom initiated the "altercation" is a key fact in dispute in this case.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2012, 01:15:01 PM »

He doesn't clearly say "f**king coons".  He is clearly a douche and like I said before, he probably murdered this kid for no good reason.  But we need proof of guilt for a conviction in this country, not just a dead kid and an asshat holding a smoking a gun.

even  the guy who wrote the "stand your ground" law says that the 911 call provides probable cause for an arrest. He said the law does not give you the right to pursue someone and then find yourself in a situation where you can then claim self-defense.

The scandal here is the local PD. They didn't even bother to check the kid's cellphone to notify his family logging him as a John Doe. And amazingly the kid's body was tested for drugs and alchohol but the shooter wasn't. They even let him keep his loaded gun. If this didn't become a news item, this whole thing would have just gone away and this guy would have got away with murder.

That may have been the intent of the law when he wrote it, but it's not written in the law.  The law says:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The law never says that if you pursue a suspicious person and then have to defend yourself that the justification doesn't apply.

It SHOULD say that, but it doesn't.  If the law isn't rewritten as a result of this, I'd be surprised.

I'm not saying the guy won't be found guilty - I'm just saying that there's a decent chance that he won't be found guilty.

After reviewing the Florida law I really doubt it applies here.

The section of 776.012 that you quoted doesn't apply because, with the victim being quite obviously unarmed, any belief Zimmerman might have had that the use of deadly force was required to defend himself was utterly unreasonable.

His broken nose suggests otherwise.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2012, 01:16:51 PM »

any belief Zimmerman might have had that the use of deadly force was required to defend himself was utterly unreasonable.

[/quote]

Shooting someone fatally in the chest is a reasonable response to a broken nose? What the Hell planet are these people living on?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2012, 01:17:28 PM »

Shooting someone fatally in the chest is a reasonable response to a broken nose? What the Hell planet are these people living on?

Florida.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2012, 01:22:28 PM »

any belief Zimmerman might have had that the use of deadly force was required to defend himself was utterly unreasonable.

[/quote]

Are you suggesting someone shoot in the chest broke his nose?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2012, 01:46:08 PM »

Parse error, the question you are asking makes no sense.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2012, 02:28:18 PM »

Shooting someone fatally in the chest is a reasonable response to a broken nose?
What if he is pounding your head into the cement?

If you are going to shoot someone in self defense, better the chest at close range, rather than the back at 50 feet, don't you think.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2012, 02:35:05 PM »

Shooting someone fatally in the chest is a reasonable response to a broken nose?
What if he is pounding your head into the cement?

If you are going to shoot someone in self defense, better the chest at close range, rather than the back at 50 feet, don't you think.

I love how everyone is treating this as an abstract case.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2012, 10:49:26 PM »

[/quote]

If someone is beating you sufficiently hard to break your nose, that would constitute a basis for a reasonable fear of great bodily harm, which is a criteria for self-defense.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2012, 10:55:58 PM »

I really have no idea how any one can make a strong case for either side. Who knows? We weren't there. It's pretty much all one word v. another.

That being said, shooting someone is completely overboard for this situation.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2012, 10:56:19 PM »

If someone is beating you sufficiently hard to break your nose, that would constitute a basis for a reasonable fear of great bodily harm, which is a criteria for self-defense.

Have you ever had your nose broken? It doesn't take a whole hell of a lot of force unless you have ridiculously tough cartilage.

Or are you saying I would have been justified in shooting dead (as opposed to shooting to incapacitate) that one bully who threw me a haymaker in the seventh grade?
BigSkyBob

« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2012, 11:17:17 PM »

Have you ever had your nose broken? It doesn't take a whole hell of a lot of force unless you have ridiculously tough cartilage.

Or are you saying I would have been justified in shooting dead (as opposed to shooting to incapacitate) that one bully who threw me a haymaker in the seventh grade?

Generally, we don't issue concealed carry permits to seventh graders, or, allow them to carry weapons, so your question makes no sense.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2012, 11:19:52 PM »
« Edited: March 26, 2012, 11:21:41 PM by Nathan »

Generally, we don't issue concealed carry permits to seventh graders, or, allow them to carry weapons, so your question makes no sense.

Oh for God's sake you bloodless dishonest pedant, mentally age me up five years if it's that damn important to you.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies