Protesters rally over Florida teen's death, demand arrest (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:50:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Protesters rally over Florida teen's death, demand arrest (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Protesters rally over Florida teen's death, demand arrest  (Read 18263 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: March 22, 2012, 09:03:52 PM »

This might be the dumbest law I've ever heard of, and I've heard of some dumb laws.  Pick a fight with someone, then shoot him and say "self defense?"
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 01:25:34 PM »

Martin was 6' 3"...and 140 lbs.  That's incredibly scrawny for that height (I weigh 135 and I'm a full 8 inches shorter than Martin, and I'm pretty scrawny).  Zimmerman, despite being shorter, weighs close to 100 lbs more than Martin.  And you expect me to believe that Martin could beat Zimmerman up and knock him to the ground easily?  With that kind of weight disparity and what it implies about Martin's physique?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 04:50:59 PM »
« Edited: March 27, 2012, 04:52:54 PM by The Mikado »

Apparently there have been conflicting reports of what Zimmerman's account is. I'm not sure if this is because Zimmerman himself was inconsistent or if the facts that were leaked to the media simply have been misleading. But the latest I have read is not that Zimmermain claims he was jumped from behind... he claims that Martin walked up to him from behind and asked him if he had a problem with him, or something to that effect. Martin's girlfriend's story would fit into this more latter account. If they exchanged words, then no one was jumped from behind.

Jumped was my characterization, but an attack that Zimmerman would be expecting, from behind, could be the case as well.  I am somewhat troubled by the wound on the back of Zimmerman's head.

Wouldn't it fit with the broken nose if Martin punched him in the face, knocking him over so his head hit the pavement?  Followed by Zimmerman firing?  Which would still be voluntary manslaughter because he's using lethal force in "self-defense" in a situation where his life isn't actually in danger.

EDIT: especially because Zimmerman was previously following Martin around, as both the 911 call and the story Martin's girlfriend says show.  Zimmerman's actions provoked a confrontation that led to Zimmerman getting knocked over and shooting Martin, is my current impression. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies