For our religiously conservative brethren.... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:07:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  For our religiously conservative brethren.... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: For our religiously conservative brethren....  (Read 9453 times)
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: April 05, 2012, 10:43:43 AM »

Let's assume that homosexuality is -at least in part- genetically based.  Which it probably is -we're merely awaiting conclusive scientific evidence to prove it.

If you find that your future son and/or daughter has the 'gay gene', what would you do?  

There probably isn't a single "gay gene," most evidence seems to point to hormonal influence in the womb or environmental factors. But obviously I wouldn't have a problem.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 07:54:33 PM »

Why do you assume I wouldn't love my child?
I'm not at all accusing you of not loving your hypothetical child. I'm simply pointing out that by being so intolerant of their lifestyle (getting pissed when they bring their partner around) you're making life a lot, lot harder for them than it needs to be.

Love does not mean always agreeing with everything someone does. It is in many cases the exact opposite: still honestly hoping the best for someone when you are distinctly not in agreement. Loving one's enemies does not mean they are no longer enemies.

In the case of a child, I would have made a promise before God to raise that child in the practice of faith upon baptism and engaging in a homosexual act or entering into a homosexual relationship is a grave sin thus contrary to God's teachings. Their partner would not be permitted to enter my house as a partner and my child would not be permitted to see his/her partner. I would teach my child to remain celibate with every bit of effort I can muster. It would likely be difficult to succeed but what choice would I have? Loving a child would include wishing them eternal life in heaven not just temporal happiness.

Understandably, I hope you never become a father; you don't seem to have what it takes to be one, or do you display anything remotely attractive to most intelligent women. The fact you want your child to live a miserable life because you chose to and place restrictions on him that are psychologically destructive provides an interesting insight into your own psyche.

That's a tad cruel, don't you think?
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 02:50:44 PM »

I'm a religious person, but not terribly devoted to doctrine.

But something I tend to pick up on in discussions about religion is the tone taken by many athiests. Religious people are painted as being in some perpetual crusade against acceptance. That's a huge micharacterization, even going by what Senator TJ said.

Not all of us are Mr. Bachmanns. Lots of us just believe what we believe and want to live in peace. The thing about outspoken athiests is their arguments are often more pointed and personal. Religious people are always the ones on the defense, while the athiests are on the attack. I don't like that.

They wouldn't be if they weren't constantly bombarded with billboards and told they're going to hell or evil people or whatever other nonsense. I'm probably the most far right person on this forum and I don't really have much sympathy for fundamentalists as far as the "culture wars" go.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 07:16:36 PM »

Have you ever been to a Mississauga high school where half the students are Muslims and half the whites are athiests?

Urban Canada is a totally different ball game, especially in youth crowds. My best friend was reprimanded for handing out Christmas cards at school in '07.

In my current state there's a teenage girl still getting death threats for asking her high school to remove a prayer mural that technically was illegal. That's how crazy a lot of americans take their religion. Mind you again, again I'm very right wing and could support your "Christian Heritage" party even from the looks of it. But it's a different ballgame over here.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies