For our religiously conservative brethren.... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:42:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  For our religiously conservative brethren.... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: For our religiously conservative brethren....  (Read 9445 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: April 05, 2012, 03:32:11 PM »

Why do you assume I wouldn't love my child?
I'm not at all accusing you of not loving your hypothetical child. I'm simply pointing out that by being so intolerant of their lifestyle (getting pissed when they bring their partner around) you're making life a lot, lot harder for them than it needs to be.

Love does not mean always agreeing with everything someone does. It is in many cases the exact opposite: still honestly hoping the best for someone when you are distinctly not in agreement. Loving one's enemies does not mean they are no longer enemies.

In the case of a child, I would have made a promise before God to raise that child in the practice of faith upon baptism and engaging in a homosexual act or entering into a homosexual relationship is a grave sin thus contrary to God's teachings. Their partner would not be permitted to enter my house as a partner and my child would not be permitted to see his/her partner. I would teach my child to remain celibate with every bit of effort I can muster. It would likely be difficult to succeed but what choice would I have? Loving a child would include wishing them eternal life in heaven not just temporal happiness.

Understandably, I hope you never become a father; you don't seem to have what it takes to be one, or do you display anything remotely attractive to most intelligent women. The fact you want your child to live a miserable life because you chose to and place restrictions on him that are psychologically destructive provides an interesting insight into your own psyche.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 04:22:17 PM »

OK, looks like a I messed up a bit with chronology. Anyways persecutions between Christians obviously don't count, and while some communist regimes have tried to eradicate faith I don't think this has concerned the "western world".

Anyways, maybe I was excessively absolute in my comment, but overall I don't see christianity in itself being much persecuted in the last, say, 1500 years.

Have you ever been to a Mississauga high school where half the students are Muslims and half the whites are athiests?

You mean people are getting bullied or harassed for being christians in canadian schools ? While the atmosphere might not be perfect, I strongly doubt it.

There's nothing systematic, but conservative Christians do tend to get bullied in Canadian public schools. I was never part of Christian Fellowship at my school, but I recall some jocks were disciplined for egging one of the meetings.

I think it is more likely that any 'harassment' is due to conservatism, not the fact that they are simply Christian. I know exactly the type from experience; people who say outrageous things about the position of women and LGBT students and yet cry foul when they are called out on it.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 06:44:56 AM »

As I have said before. There isn't any systematic issues with Christians in public schools, any more than there is systematic issues with the D&D kids. They just get picked on now and again.

And sometimes they are the ones who pick on others.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies