For our religiously conservative brethren.... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:56:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  For our religiously conservative brethren.... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: For our religiously conservative brethren....  (Read 9555 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« on: April 14, 2012, 02:37:49 PM »

I'm a religious person, but not terribly devoted to doctrine.

But something I tend to pick up on in discussions about religion is the tone taken by many athiests. Religious people are painted as being in some perpetual crusade against acceptance. That's a huge micharacterization, even going by what Senator TJ said.

Not all of us are Mr. Bachmanns. Lots of us just believe what we believe and want to live in peace. The thing about outspoken athiests is their arguments are often more pointed and personal. Religious people are always the ones on the defense, while the athiests are on the attack. I don't like that.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 03:05:06 PM »

Fair enough. We don't have signs like that in Canada. They wouldn't go down well.

Though I have to smile when I see them on the way to Myrtle Beach every year. I think it's kind of nice that Christians don't have to be afraid to be Christian. I guess I idealize it because I'm not a local.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 05:21:50 PM »

Have you ever been to a Mississauga high school where half the students are Muslims and half the whites are athiests?

Urban Canada is a totally different ball game, especially in youth crowds. My best friend was reprimanded for handing out Christmas cards at school in '07.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 04:10:42 PM »

I also gave you an example that you didn't respond to.

Just because they aren't officially prosecuted doesn't mean the religion hasn't been socially discouraged. Being afraid to be Christian doesn't necessary involve fearing you will die because of your beliefs.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies