European Union general discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:48:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  European Union general discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: European Union general discussion  (Read 8878 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: January 15, 2024, 12:35:24 PM »

Baby steps:

Kosovo and Serbia take a small but important step forwards
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #126 on: January 16, 2024, 09:39:28 PM »

I missed this from last week. I wonder what the thoughts of our EU posters are about a European army.

"The European Union should form its own combined army that could play a role in peacekeeping and preventing conflict, Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani said.
In an interview with Italian newspaper La Stampa, Tajani said that closer European cooperation on defence was a priority for the Forza Italia party that he leads.
"If we want to be peacekeepers in the world, we need a European military. And this is a fundamental precondition to be able to have an effective European foreign policy," he said in an interview published on Sunday.

""In a world with powerful players like the United States, China, India, Russia - with crises from the Middle East to the Indo-Pacific - Italian, German, French or Slovenian citizens can only be protected by something that already exists, namely the European Union," he added."

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/italian-foreign-minister-calls-formation-eu-army-2024-01-07/
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #127 on: January 17, 2024, 10:35:39 AM »

Its been talked about for literally decades - wake me up when something actually happens there.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #128 on: January 17, 2024, 11:18:58 AM »

Its been talked about for literally decades - wake me up when something actually happens there.

I won’t need to wake you up, because if you’re posting on this forum it means you’ll be wide awake when Donald J. Trump will be elected President on 5th November 2024. That will be the catalyst for the formation of an EU army. And bizarrely, I actually think it’s the one hurdle that the 27* … would agree on.

The key question isn’t really the institutional set up of it, it is whether the European defence industry would be willing to stop taking its taxpayers, the people it is supposed to defend, for a ride. We invest billions of euros or lei or kroner into Defense black holes and the Commission claims if we just made a “Defence Single Market” (because the Commission thinks everything can be solved by more market forces) it would magically become more efficient. Instead we will likely get something akin to FRONTEX : an expensive grift that allows the MODs to continue to milk the European taxpayer dry rather than fulfilling its remit. Has Frontex stopped the irregular migration crisis? No, it has focussed instead on buying fancy toys that allow executives and bureaucrats to pay themselves obscene money to eventually end up on the board of the toy manufacturers. Would a European Defence Institution follow its remit to deter Russia? No, because the nature of the European political class is how to maximize their careerist ambitions in the short lifespan they all have as politicians. And Defence is where the big players play, whilst small time Balkan or Italian thieves prefer to pander to Qatari interests in exchange for some pointless speech in the European Parliament. The same thing happened in the US under the execrable Republicans.

Anyway, with Michel backing out of a top European job it leaves the question as to what Von Der Leyen will do. She ignored and insulted the outgoing the MEPs today by leaving them halfway through and flew to Italy to cosy up to Meloni. The EPP are clearly hedging their bets, they are desperate for a right-wing alliance that can ensure the eradication of left-wing voices from certain social media and traditional media and turn the European political scene into an American-style 2 party system between the right-wing populists and the conservative christian democrats with their cuck ALDE dweebs and Macron following them.

*maybe except Hungary, but then we could always just let them be invaded by Russia, as in 1956, or follow my idea and deliberately cause a border war with Romania, to give them the necessary wake up shot needed and reduce them to a even smaller rump state…after all the Banat and Transylvania can still be enlarged
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #129 on: January 17, 2024, 12:42:19 PM »

I missed this from last week. I wonder what the thoughts of our EU posters are about a European army.

"The European Union should form its own combined army that could play a role in peacekeeping and preventing conflict, Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani said.
In an interview with Italian newspaper La Stampa, Tajani said that closer European cooperation on defence was a priority for the Forza Italia party that he leads.
"If we want to be peacekeepers in the world, we need a European military. And this is a fundamental precondition to be able to have an effective European foreign policy," he said in an interview published on Sunday.

""In a world with powerful players like the United States, China, India, Russia - with crises from the Middle East to the Indo-Pacific - Italian, German, French or Slovenian citizens can only be protected by something that already exists, namely the European Union," he added."

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/italian-foreign-minister-calls-formation-eu-army-2024-01-07/
Wouldn’t a EU army have the same issues as the Austro-Hungarian army but on steroids?
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #130 on: January 28, 2024, 06:08:08 PM »

I can't imagine the EU going through with this unless it feels such action is absolutely necessary. Do it would only confirm (at least among eurosceptics) Orban's long standing claims that Brussels is a bully:

"💥SCOOP - Brussels has drawn up a plan to sabotage Hungary’s economy if Viktor Orbán blocks a €50bn aid package to Ukraine this week, according to a secret internal document seen by @FT
that lays out Budapest’s economic weaknesses & how to exploit them

The document, prepared by officials from the @EUCouncil, sets out how the rest of the bloc can spark a run on Hungary’s currency, push up its borrowing costs and endanger “jobs and growth” by spooking investors and the markets through a vow to cut off all funding to Budapest

The explosive threat by Brussels against the economy of one of its own member states marks a major escalation in the battle between the EU and its most pro-Russian member, and makes stark the scale of anger at Orbán’s refusal to agree a compromise with his allies to fund Kyiv

Hungary’s EU minister @JanosBoka_HU told the @FT on Sunday that Budapest “does not give in to pressure”, “does not establish a connection between support for Ukraine and access to EU funds,” and rejects other parties doing so.

@EUCouncil declined to comment."

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #131 on: January 31, 2024, 08:14:29 AM »

I can't imagine the EU going through with this unless it feels such action is absolutely necessary. Do it would only confirm (at least among eurosceptics) Orban's long standing claims that Brussels is a bully:

Good. The EU should be a bully to Orban and his ilk. It's the only language they understand.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #132 on: January 31, 2024, 08:28:19 AM »

I read an article today saying almost a third of MEPs had some sort of judicial or work based complaint. Just staggering numbers of corrupt or sexual deviant individuals in one parliament.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #133 on: February 01, 2024, 08:10:07 AM »

Bullying works! https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/01/world/europe/eu-hungary-ukraine-fund.html
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #134 on: February 01, 2024, 09:51:54 AM »
« Edited: February 01, 2024, 09:57:32 AM by CumbrianLefty »

Orban's bark is worse than his bite, always has been.

Call his bluff more often, I say Smiley
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #135 on: February 01, 2024, 11:57:39 AM »

Speaking of bullying, the EPP and assorted far right pujadistes are deciding to vandalisé and threaten the EP to extort more subsidies for farmers. As you do.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #136 on: February 01, 2024, 02:25:06 PM »

I read an article today saying almost a third of MEPs had some sort of judicial or work based complaint. Just staggering numbers of corrupt or sexual deviant individuals in one parliament.

The EU is where parties dump their political trash.

That does enormous harm if the German Chancellor or the French President are marshmallows and don't stop the trash from trashing the EU.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies