The Great Nordic Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:32:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  The Great Nordic Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 50
Poll
Question: Will Iceland and Norway ever join the EU?
Iceland, but not Norway

Norway, but not Iceland

Both

None of them

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 178

Author Topic: The Great Nordic Thread  (Read 201186 times)
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: September 07, 2015, 04:08:44 PM »

Well "culture" is all fluid and constantly changing. European culture is dynamic enough to survive in a changed form. This isn't like the Native Americans or Abroginals Australians, whose culture was obliterated along with them.
Oh, of course. You won't hear me saying things like that. But at the same time I think there is a rather large gap between the way Atlas Americans tend to see European societies and the way Atlas Europeans tend to see European societies. On the surface, sure, every cinema has popcorn, shows the Avengers and there will always be a Burger King or McDonald's close to the cinema. However, that's not really what culture and identity are about. Like Politicus said, most European countries do have their own cultural characteristics. The fact that many American posters don't see this, doesn't mean that these should be deemed irrelevant or (worse) objectionable.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #626 on: September 07, 2015, 04:09:06 PM »

It's not really an American way of looking at things. America very much has its own culture, probably a stronger more defined culture than anywhere in Europe, because it doesn't get as many outside influences. It's a culture of country music, Protestant Christianity, fried food, guns, and showy nationalism. I'm over it though. Most people who go to college are over it. I'm frankly surprised there are any educated people who aren't over their own petty local culture.

At first I figured you guys were just using this language as an argument tactic, like obviously everyone who is in favor of immigration thinks that Islamic culture is great, so you can pull the rug out from under them by forcing them to admit that Danish or Swedish culture or whatever must be great too.

If you really believe this stuff though, it's just weird. You sound like Edmund Stoiber dancing to polka music in lederhosen while most other people are living in the city like it's the 21st century.

This post just proves you do not have even the most basic understanding of this issue, but fail to realize just how ignorant you are, so I will just let it be.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #627 on: September 07, 2015, 04:13:49 PM »

Well "culture" is all fluid and constantly changing. European culture is dynamic enough to survive in a changed form. This isn't like the Native Americans or Abroginals Australians, whose culture was obliterated along with them.

Sure, but a bit besides the point.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #628 on: September 07, 2015, 04:16:10 PM »

Oh, of course. You won't hear me saying things like that. But at the same time I think there is a rather large gap between the way Atlas Americans tend to see European societies and the way Atlas Europeans tend to see European societies. On the surface, sure, every cinema has popcorn, shows the Avengers and there will always be a Burger King or McDonald's close to the cinema. However, that's not really what culture and identity are about. Like Politicus said, most European countries do have their own cultural characteristics. The fact that many American posters don't see this, doesn't mean that these should be deemed irrelevant or (worse) objectionable.

I would agree that there's a disconnect on the modern left between people think that culture associated with Brown people is great and culture associated with White people is terrible. That is hypocrisy. A lot of Europeans here have seemed to respond to it by going "well all cultures are valuable and have the right to self determination" That's consistent but I don't agree with it. I'm saying all cultures are rendered frivolous and irrelevant in the modern world.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #629 on: September 07, 2015, 04:18:52 PM »

I would agree that there's a disconnect on the modern left between people think that culture associated with Brown people is great and culture associated with White people is terrible. That is hypocrisy. A lot of Europeans here have seemed to respond to it by going "well all cultures are valuable and have the right to self determination" That's consistent but I don't agree with it. I'm saying all cultures are rendered frivolous and irrelevant in the modern world.

Not really, what you're say is "my culture is universal and it's frivolous for other not to adopt it, because their cultures are irrelevant".
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #630 on: September 07, 2015, 04:25:44 PM »

Not really, what you're say is "my culture is universal and it's frivolous for other not to adopt it, because their cultures are irrelevant".

What's my culture though? I don't care what food people eat, what clothes they wear, what music they listen to. It really does not matter at all to me. The only thing I care about is that people aren't put to death for non-violent crimes or imprisoned for their opinions. Also, socialized medicine is nice. Beyond those things though, anything goes.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #631 on: September 07, 2015, 04:33:41 PM »

Iceland is qualified for the European Championship for the first time ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=28&v=VIVenuCA1uw

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #632 on: September 07, 2015, 04:34:30 PM »

What's my culture though? I don't care what food people eat, what clothes they wear, what music they listen to. It really does not matter at all to me. The only thing I care about is that people aren't put to death for non-violent crimes or imprisoned for their opinions. Also, socialized medicine is nice. Beyond those things though, anything goes.
That you are okay with anything does not in any way prove that there are no distinct European cultures. In fact, I fail to see any connection between the two issues.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #633 on: September 07, 2015, 04:35:38 PM »

Iceland is qualified for the European Championship for the first time ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=28&v=VIVenuCA1uw

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
This hurts Sad  We lost to them twice...  But they deserve it. You gotta love Iceland.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #634 on: September 07, 2015, 04:39:22 PM »

Is it? I'm quite facetious on this forum, but I am being serious here. The idea that British or Swedish or any other culture is under some sort risk from supporting these refugees seems alien to me. Immigration changes a country's culture, of course - but so does emigration, and generational change, and increased technology, and literally any other event. perhaps it is sad to lose some quaint traditions to time, but I'm uncomfortable at the idea that the desperate should die or be locked into despondency simply under a Canute like desire to hold the tides of shifting culture.

DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #635 on: September 07, 2015, 04:42:02 PM »

Is it? I'm quite facetious on this forum, but I am being serious here. The idea that British or Swedish or any other culture is under some sort risk from supporting these refugees seems alien to me. Immigration changes a country's culture, of course - but so does emigration, and generational change, and increased technology, and literally any other event. perhaps it is sad to lose some quaint traditions to time, but I'm uncomfortable at the idea that the desperate should die or be locked into despondency simply under a Canute like desire to hold the tides of shifting culture.

Maybe I just didn't get it, but I don't think this discussion was in the first place about European national identities in relation to the refugee issue. It was just about the existence of European national identities.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #636 on: September 07, 2015, 04:44:44 PM »

That you are okay with anything does not in any way prove that there are no distinct European cultures. In fact, I fail to see any connection between the two issues.

I was responding to a different claim here, the one that I want my own culture to be supreme. For the record though, I'm not denying that different European cultures exist, just that in the grande scheme of things, the differences are minor and unimportant.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #637 on: September 08, 2015, 08:12:30 AM »

Three Greenlandic MPs (Per Rosing-Petersen (Naleraq), Jens Immanuelsen (Siumut) and Aqqaluaq B. Egede (IA) have submitted a joint proposal to the Speaker that parliament should request Naalakkersuisut (the government) to appoint a Constitutional Commission.

(controversial because it would contradict the Danish 1953 Constitution if they get their own)

So opposition/government backbencher cooperation on this.

The parliamentary autumn session starts September 25 - a much needed modern disability legislation is also on the agenda.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #638 on: September 08, 2015, 08:46:56 AM »

Why is it that a Greenlandic (and Faroese) constitution would be so problematic as long as the content doesn't contradict the Danish constitution? The conflict about which one should be higher in importance, perhaps?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #639 on: September 08, 2015, 09:28:55 AM »
« Edited: September 08, 2015, 09:49:27 AM by politicus »

Why is it that a Greenlandic (and Faroese) constitution would be so problematic as long as the content doesn't contradict the Danish constitution? The conflict about which one should be higher in importance, perhaps?

The Danish Realm is not a federation, but a unitary state where two areas have gotten widespread autonomy through devolution, so it is an odd and contradictory construction. You combine a unitary state with what is increasingly two small nation states, and then you have the additional complicating factor that part of it is being in EU and part of it outside.

The Danish centre-right - and especially DPP - are not interested in a new Constitution since it would bring up questions like making it easier to cede sovereignty to the EU (the establishment would like that - but not everybody in VK) and the paragraph saying "the Evangelical-Lutheran church is the Danish peoples church and therefore supported by the state" etc. The role of the monarchy is also a topic - the left and Social Liberals would like to completely "depoliticize" the Monarchs role like in Sweden. Leftists/SocLibs also want to include a very broad and specific list of human rights - incl. some rights that would make right wing policies hard (economic, social, environmental rights).

It is hard to modernize the Community of the Realm not only because of EU, but also simply because 98% lives in Denmark. You can not really create a federation or confederation with an Upper House/Senate with, say, 50% Danish reps, 25% Faroese ad 25% Greenlandic and make it responsible for defence, foreign policy and monetary policy. It is just too lopsided (in more than one way, Greenland has 98% of the territory Wink ). Only the Red Greens are willing to et the North Atlantic countries co-determine Danish foreign policy (the Faroese government fx thinks that DK should not be able to partake in military actions without their agreement).

I think something like the NZ/Cook Islands free association will be the end result (moderate separatists on the Faroes and Siumut in Greenland wants this). But the process will be tricky and bumpy and right now both Greenlanders and Faroese are planning unilateral action on this, while most Danish pols just dont seem to care.

EDIT: Closest parallel is UK, but with much greater powers devolved and a legally recognized right to unilaterally secede (Greenlanders and Faroese recognized as sovereign peoples as defined by international law). Plus England is 85% of UKs population, not 98% (and Scotland and Wales are not micro-nations). In theory we also have the West Lothian question, even if it rarely applies because they only have 4 seats.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #640 on: September 08, 2015, 09:32:19 AM »

Interesting, thanks for your answer. Didn't know that the monarchy still has a role in Danish politics, as opposed to the Swedish situation. What does your Queen exactly do?
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #641 on: September 08, 2015, 09:41:19 AM »
« Edited: September 08, 2015, 09:50:55 AM by Swedish Austerity Creep »

Didn't know that the monarchy still has a role in Danish politics, as opposed to the Swedish situation. What does your Queen exactly do?

In theory the Queen still dissolves parliament, and leads the government formation process (not so much in practice) while in Sweden those powers are either decided by the constitutional fixed term1, the PM2, and/or the Speaker3 depending on the issue in question.

1) Elections are according to law always held on the second Sunday of September every fourth year, so no need to dissolve parliament if it expires by itself.

2) The PM can call early elections, though no PM has gone through with it since 1956. It should be noted that this doesn't change the fixed term and an ordinary election will always be held four years after the last regular election.

3) The Speaker leads the government formation process, if no government can be formed early elections are held.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #642 on: September 08, 2015, 10:59:54 AM »

Your culture are that you tell your self that you don't care about what food people eat, what clothes they wear, what music they listen to. that It really does not matter at all to you. That the only thing you care about is that people aren't put to death for non-violent crimes or imprisoned for their opinions. The value that you shouldn't care about all those are fundamental cultural in nature.

Of course you do care, I could bring a lot of things up inside these borders you have set up, which you would care about.

Let's example say we have a guy who mastubate outside a kindergarden, even through he doesn't hurt anybody, you would be very much against he doing and think he should be stopped. We all set border up somewhere (and I set up a example so far out, that I think everybody would agree with it). Here you care enough to think the law should stop him.

Also you care when somebody hear sh**tty music in public and want them to stop, but recognise they have a right to hear sh**tty music. That's a cultural value too.

Also you care enough about two Danes and a Dutchman discussing culture enough to declare you find it offensive, and deciding to lecturing them about what their cultures in reality are (Avengers and McDonald), and how their inferior and savage culture should be replace with your superior one, which you think is so universal, that it's not even a culture but a universal way of life.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #643 on: September 10, 2015, 05:22:21 PM »
« Edited: September 14, 2015, 06:37:15 AM by politicus »

Eight out of Iceland's 76 municipalities have now agree to take refugees, but about 2/3 of the population lives in those eight. Three out of the last holdouts in the Top 10 are the affluent and IP dominated Reykjavik suburbs Reykjanesbær, Garðabær, Mosfellsbær. The last two are the wealthiest municipalities in Iceland. While the town council in Árborg likely just hasn't gotten around to discussing it. The opposition in the IP strongholds in suburbia might influence the IP leadership.

1. Reykjavíkurborg 118 326   
2. Kópavogur 30 357
3. Hafnarfjörður 25 913
4. Akureyri 17 573
5. Reykjanesbær 14 091
6. Garðabær 10 643
7. Mosfellsbær 8 553
8. Árborg 7 814
9. Akranes 6 549
10. Fjarðabyggð 4 641
11. Seltjarnarnes 4 395
12. Vestmannaeyjar 4 135
13. Skagafjörður 4 131
14. Ísafjarðarbær 3 899
15. Borgarbyggði 3 542   
16. Fljótsdalshérað 3 467
17. Norðurþing 2 926
18. Grindavík 2 837   
19. Álftanes 2 523   
20. Hveragerði 2 291   
21. Hornafjörður 2 086   
23. Sveitarfélagið ölfus 1 952   
24. Dalvíkurbyggð 1 949   
25. Rangárþing eystra 1 745
26. Sandgerðid 1 710   
27. Snæfellsbær 1 702

Blönduós (NW) (39. 882),  Dalabyggð W (42. 694),  Bolungarvík (Westfiords) (34. 970)

Tiny Súðavík (63) with 202 inhabitants in the Westfjords in the remote NW is the only rural municipality that has offered to take refugees so far, while Ísafjörður is also in the Westfjords.

Meanwhile PM Sigmundur David Gunnlaugsson (PP) keeps mum about this issue and has only said that it should be easier for Icelandic families to adopt Syrian orphans, but not whether he is prepared to accept regular refugees.

Blönduós, Seltjarnarnes, Mosfellsbær, Reykjanesbær, Sandgerði, Borgarbyggð, Dalabyggð, Snæfellsbær, Bolungarvík, Skagafjörður, Norðurþing, Fljótsdalshérað, Hornafjörður, Hveragerði och Árborg.

15. Borgarbyggði 3 542   
16. Fljótsdalshérað 3 467   
17. Norðurþing 2 926   
18. Grindavík 2 837   
19. Álftanes 2 523   
20. Hveragerði 2 291   
21. Hornafjörður 2 086   
23. Sveitarfélagið ölfus 1 952   
24. Dalvíkurbyggð 1 949   
25. Rangárþing eystra
26. Sandgerðid   1 710   
27. Snæfellsbær 1 702
28. Rangárþing ytra 1 543
29. Garður 1 515   
30. Sveitarfélagið Vogar 1 206   
31. Húnaþing vestra 1 116
32. Stykkishólmur 1 092   
33. Eyjafjarðarsveit 1 025
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #644 on: September 14, 2015, 06:59:54 AM »
« Edited: September 16, 2015, 07:14:58 PM by politicus »

A united Icelandic opposition has now proposed the country takes 100 UN refugees this year, 200 in 2016, 200 in 2017 and then create a comprehensive refugee policy starting from 2018, but the government is so far not accepting this moderate compromise proposal (would be 4x current level).

The Ministry of Foreign affairs Gunnar Bragi Sveinsson (PP) has called it irresponsible to put a definite quota"  (sic). Meanwhile 23 of 76 municipalities have said yes to taking refugees. Including 20 of the 27 biggest. In the rich suburbs Mosfellsbær has caved, but Gardabær still refuses. The second most populated uncommitted municipality is another IP stronghold, the conservative Vestmanna Islands.
All the small places accepting refugees are either in the Westfiords or in areas bordering the Westfiords, which is probably due to religion. 6 of 7 holdouts among the 1700+ municipalities are IP strongholds in suburbia or the rural South, while the last is a PP stronghold in the rural NE. All other PP dominated areas in the NE and East with "sizable" population (all is relative..) are among the Yes municipalities. Looks like IP has more of a problem - the Christian ethics-factor seems to dominate PP outside of the Althing - even if their voters are the most skeptical. Several MPs of course also positive.

Updated refugee acceptance list:

1. Reykjavíkurborg 118 326    
2. Kópavogur 30 357 (suburbia)
3. Hafnarfjörður 25 913 (suburbia)
4. Akureyri 17 573 (town in the NE)
5. Reykjanesbær 14 091 (exurb)
6. Garðabær 10 643 (suburbia)
7. Mosfellsbær 8 553 (suburbia)
8. Árborg 7 814 (exurb)
9. Akranes 6 549 (smalltown)
10. Fjarðabyggð 4 641 (East - 50% in Egilsstaðir town)
11. Seltjarnarnes 4 395 (suburbia)
12. Vestmannaeyjar 4 135 (rural South)
13. Skagafjörður 4 131 (rural NW)
14. Ísafjarðarbær 3 899 (Westfiords)
15. Borgarbyggði 3 542    (rural West)
16. Fljótsdalshérað 3 467 (rural East)
17. Norðurþing 2 926 (rural NE)
18. Grindavík 2 837 (SW/Reykjavik region)
19. Álftanes 2 523 (suburbia)   
20. Hveragerði 2 291 (S - bordering Reykjavik region)
21. Hornafjörður 2 086 (rural East)
23. Sveitarfélagið ölfus 1 952 (rural South)
24. Dalvíkurbyggð 1 949 (rural NE)   
25. Rangárþing eystra 1 745 (South - bordering Reykjavik region)
26. Sandgerðid 1 710 (SW/Reykjavik region)
27. Snæfellsbær 1 702 (rural West)

Small:
34. Bolungarvík 970 (Westfiords) (970)
39. Blönduós 882 (NW - bordering Westfiords)
42. Dalabyggð 694 (W - bordering Westfiords)

Tiny:
63. Súðavík 202 (Westfiords)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #645 on: September 14, 2015, 08:53:52 PM »
« Edited: September 14, 2015, 09:08:07 PM by politicus »

The Lord Mayor of German border town Flensburg Simon Faber from the Danish minority party SSW now also argues for reintroducing border control temporarily - saying the situation is out of control and the security risk of continuing without control is too big. Faber was very nervous after the good DPP election that border control would be reintroduced, but has changed his mind given the extraordinary circumstances.

LLR still says the situation is under control and there is no reason to reintroduce border control.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #646 on: September 14, 2015, 09:07:26 PM »
« Edited: September 14, 2015, 09:10:48 PM by DavidB. »

LLR still says there is no reason to close the border or reintroduce control.
So it seems that it becomes less likely that Denmark will reintroduce border control? Does this mean that DF's pressure has been in vain?

How does the cooperation between V and DF take place? Does DF, at this moment, have special negotiations with V in which it can demand concrete policy changes, or does it have exactly the same position as LA and the Conservatives?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #647 on: September 14, 2015, 09:45:09 PM »
« Edited: September 15, 2015, 07:46:00 AM by politicus »

LLR still says there is no reason to close the border or reintroduce control.
So it seems that it becomes less likely that Denmark will reintroduce border control? Does this mean that DF's pressure has been in vain?

How does the official cooperation between V and DF take place? Does DF, at this moment, have special negotiations with V in which it can demand concrete policy changes, or does it have exactly the same position as LA and the Conservatives?

All Blue Bloc parties have the same status in principle, but of course DPP has more leverage due to size and being able to make deals with the left in more areas (though not this one, of course), but LA has proven quite unpredictable and LLR also has to please them.

Not really sure what is going on right now. In principle DPP should have a lot of pressure possibilities, but it seems LLR is banking on them not having the guts to pull the plug on his government so soon after an election and under these circumstances.

While SPP was being run over in the HTS government DPP always said they would never accept to be treated like that, but it seems they are right now (with the difference they are not in the government, but still somewhat comparable).

A recent poll showed a 56-36 majority for taking more refugees. Maybe just too small a sample (it is a big swing from the reverse 3 months ago), but maybe a genuine change after seeing refugees on the road and a very lopsided and emotional media coverage  - so maybe DPP is afraid of an election, but on the other hand if they give in now they will lose credibility.

If there is a swing it is most likely unstable. Given how unpopular Palestinians/Iraqis and Somalis are and how low their labour market participation rates are I doubt Syrians and Eritreans/Sudanese will be well revived in the long or even medium run. If there had never been a Palestinian and Iraqi immigration this might have been different, but the "guilt by association" factor will play a role for the Syrians (as well as for Eritreans and Sudanese).

The media are fickle and will return to negative angles at some point. So maybe DPP is just waiting for the tide to turn and can then accuse LLR for everything bad thats going to happen (there are bound to be some crime/horror stories they can use).

tl;dr: I dunno Wink
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #648 on: September 15, 2015, 05:34:54 AM »

Thanks for explaining this!
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #649 on: September 16, 2015, 03:50:54 AM »

The Reykjavik City Council has decided the city will boycott all Israeli products as long as Israel occupies territories beyond the 1967 borders. Iceland was the first Western European country to recognize Palestine back in 2011. Back then it inspired other Scandinavian centre-left parties to pursue this and Iceland has often been first movers on stuff like this (recognizing the Baltic countries fx.). Wonder if we will see other centre-left dominated cities in Scandinavia go for a full boycott. Copenhagen currently only boycotts products from settlements.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 50  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies