The Great Nordic Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:58:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  The Great Nordic Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Will Iceland and Norway ever join the EU?
Iceland, but not Norway

Norway, but not Iceland

Both

None of them

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 178

Author Topic: The Great Nordic Thread  (Read 202798 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« on: October 01, 2014, 07:58:28 AM »

So will he government fall to a vote of confidence, or is the departing party still giving supply?

(Also I thought the Greenland governing coalition contained the Inuit Party as well. Have they already departed?)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 11:05:28 AM »

Iceland has ... odd politics. Why is it the only country where Pirates have remained feasible for more than a year? Why does everyone still support IP? Why did Progress think it would be a good idea to campaign against Islamic immigration, in a country with pretty much no Islamic immigration?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 06:22:06 AM »

Well partly because Norway is suffering because of the oil price cratering. I notice that the state oil company is starting to shed jobs and mothball planned projects, which is a disappointment to Norway's coffers especially as Progress wanted to splurge the oil fund on infrastructure. At the moment, the government seems to be leaning on stimulus to get past the dark spot, which Jensen does not want at all.

The two small liberal parties - Venstre and the Christian Democrats - are causing increasing ruffles amongst the Progress ranks with their pro-refugee stance. When they agreed to support the government the Immigration minister promised to soften its attitude towards child asylum seekers, which turned out to be a barefaced lie, as the minister simply instructed the police to carry on as they were. Increasingly angry words are being exchanged over that issue, despite a public apology by the minister in question.

Other problems exist. The Progress Party loathes the wealth tax for example, which appears to still exist (I'm unsure about this though). There was also amusingly farcical scenes surrounding a plastic shopping bag tax.

And of course general bleeding of centrist voters back to Labour over a regressive and unpopular budget.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 06:56:04 AM »

In all fairness, I get most of my news from English language sources

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-03-02/oil-shock-aggravates-political-fight-hampering-norway-s-premier

It seems that the stress of the coalition is starting to get to party bases. I think the immigration drama isn't a bread and butter issue, but when governments start to openly bicker about any issue that starts to bleed into how voters in general see the government.

And yes I boobed on the Christian Democrats. I meant to use liberal to describe Venstre and centrist to describe both of them, but my brain decided to be dumb.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 08:57:06 AM »

Is their an Icelandic poll tracker? I want to make a line graph for Wikipedia ...
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 09:10:43 AM »

They missed a trick not calling themselves 'Vikings' though
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 03:31:36 PM »

I wonder when we get Swiss style ads in Denmark soon:

🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 11:38:50 AM »

Aw, libertarians grow up so fast :') cute
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 04:50:09 PM »

Wait so before last election; Movement, Citizen's Mt. and the Liberals all merged to form Dawn and they all epically failed. So it makes sense they sulkily split apart, but what crazy weirdo is trying to keep Dawn going with no constituent parties? Imao
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 12:45:01 PM »

Iceland has also abolished its old blasphemy law earlier this month, a Pirate led proposal.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 09:00:35 AM »

The collapse of the Finnish left is quite unnerving.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 09:53:25 AM »

And associated autonomous countries like Greenland.

Never stand behind politicus and the correct categorisation of megathreads Cheesy
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2015, 04:04:53 PM »

Well "culture" is all fluid and constantly changing. European culture is dynamic enough to survive in a changed form. This isn't like the Native Americans or Abroginals Australians, whose culture was obliterated along with them.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2015, 04:39:22 PM »

Well "culture" is all fluid and constantly changing. European culture is dynamic enough to survive in a changed form. This isn't like the Native Americans or Abroginals Australians, whose culture was obliterated along with them.

Sure, but a bit besides the point.

Is it? I'm quite facetious on this forum, but I am being serious here. The idea that British or Swedish or any other culture is under some sort risk from supporting these refugees seems alien to me. Immigration changes a country's culture, of course - but so does emigration, and generational change, and increased technology, and literally any other event. perhaps it is sad to lose some quaint traditions to time, but I'm uncomfortable at the idea that the desperate should die or be locked into despondency simply under a Canute like desire to hold the tides of shifting culture.

🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2015, 12:11:40 PM »

Have Norway recommended the Svalbard Islands?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2015, 04:22:24 PM »

Just ftr, we should probably avoid the acronym "SD" on this thread.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2015, 06:54:06 PM »

Oh my
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2015, 01:58:48 PM »

Tbh keeping Brievik alive to reveal the self-style master race defender is basically a huge whiny bitch is a pretty good decision.

Politicus, I doubt he would go through with a hunger strike. He's a manchild.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2015, 12:59:48 PM »

Beside the obvious thing, they didn't believe in man-made global warming and they wanted to raise the development aid to the third world.
Why? That surely seems unexpected to me.

Perhaps as quid quo pro for reduced migration.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2015, 03:02:46 PM »

All the parties accept the 100 percent renewable aim, no?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2015, 03:26:31 PM »

Well it is a very classic blue green set of policies. Small is Beautiful, green and pleasant lands, small local farmer employing local boys to dig the potatoes etc.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2015, 04:39:09 PM »

Huh, I always assumed that LA were more like D66 or something than outright deniers.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2015, 10:32:32 AM »

Could PS fracture?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2015, 06:47:31 AM »

Wasn't there a dissident PS MP last parliament who joined a tiny party called "Change" or something? Is that party moribund?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2015, 10:33:57 AM »

Does "veil" imply the niqab or just the standard hijab?
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies