The Great Nordic Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:45:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  The Great Nordic Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will Iceland and Norway ever join the EU?
Iceland, but not Norway

Norway, but not Iceland

Both

None of them

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 178

Author Topic: The Great Nordic Thread  (Read 202149 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: March 05, 2014, 08:10:16 PM »

Iceland government just seems to be an hot potato, burning everyone in it.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 05:30:48 PM »

I have no issue with hunting whales, but I have issues with Faroes being stuck in the Middle Ages.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 03:16:01 PM »

I have no issue with hunting whales, but I have issues with Faroes being stuck in the Middle Ages.

Old traditions are not necessarily bad or cruel. Its a communal procedure with an egalitarian distribution of the meat to the community.

Its also a humane way of killing. They break the spine with a short spear which kills the dolphins instantly. You can argue about the stress from the whales being driven into shallow water, but its still a short process compared to a cow or pig going to the slaughterhouse. They only hunt flocks that are already close to the coast.

This is a media thing because the sea is "painted" red with blood and that looks dramatic on camera. Otherwise its a more humane procedure than many other forms of hunting and definitely better than the process connected with slaughtering farm animals (often transporting them for hours in crammed lorries, pigs biting and screaming etc.).

Also, if the Faroese should abolish dolphin hunting they would use more meat from industrial style agriculture.

My issue is more their intense social conservatism and traditionnalism. I do not care about hunting non-endangered whales. I mean, in Canada, we have the same media circus about seal hunting.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 03:32:57 PM »

My issue is more their intense social conservatism and traditionnalism. I do not care about hunting non-endangered whales. I mean, in Canada, we have the same media circus about seal hunting.

They're a bunch of fishermen living on some isolated cold inhospitable rocks in the North Atlantic, most people who want a tertiary education have to leave the island for Copenhagen; how can you expect them to be anything other than conservative and traditional. Are you really so intolerant and myopic, that you can't live with a bunch of isolated rural people not being the most social liberal people in the world.

I'm not intolerant and myopic. I'm thinking they are neglected and not offered decent opportunities from the Danish government. They are being treated as a backward colony, no wonder they stay stuck there.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 01:21:25 AM »

Centre Party! I doubt than Swedish Cheese will be happy. He is a member of that party, after all. I expected SD.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 03:22:45 PM »

We get it. Danish people are racist and don't like immigrants. We know, no need to try justify it.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 04:08:24 PM »

Are you really surprised? That newspaper was supporting fascists and nazis during the 30's, too.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2015, 03:58:03 PM »

Another initiative that has been gathering steam is an initiative calling for a referendum on Finland's membership in the Eurozone; in only three days it has gathered 40% of the signatures needed.

What happened to the Initiative about getting rid of mandatory Swedish? Voted down, or not taken up yet?

It was voted on in March in the last days of the previous parliament. It was defeated 134-48.

I suppose TF was for and all other parties against?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 12:04:17 AM »

To illustrate what kind of a party DPP is here are some points from an article in Danish conservative daily Berlingske in January:

I'm surprised nobody tried to move a law to impose real party democracy, to cripple them.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 01:51:56 PM »

So, rooting for an homophobic racist?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies