The Great Nordic Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:24:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  The Great Nordic Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Will Iceland and Norway ever join the EU?
Iceland, but not Norway

Norway, but not Iceland

Both

None of them

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 178

Author Topic: The Great Nordic Thread  (Read 201127 times)
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« on: March 21, 2012, 06:03:10 PM »

For the question, Iceland probably will, Norway probably won't.

But on another topic (now that we have a Dane with us) how is Helle doing as prime minister?
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 07:46:22 AM »

Swedish Minister of Defence Resigns

The Swedish Minister of Defence, Sten Tolgfors, resigned today following a government scandal which broke early in March where the Swedish DoD in secret helped Saudi Arabia build a weapons factory. Weapons produced in the factory has proved to have been sold to and used by oppressing regimes against protestors in their country.

Tolgfors has during the investigation of the affair been caught lying and conceiling information, causing several opposition politicians to call for him to resign.

JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 01:23:54 AM »

That is probably more than the government before.

I'm not sure actually, the Persson cabinet had quite a few as well. Most notably Leila Freivald who resigned twice, once as Minister of Justice, once as Foreign Minister, both times due to scandals.
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 09:50:41 AM »

Brighter days for the Swedish left in the oppinion polls. This is probably due to several blunders by the government the past month as well as the new SAP leader who's turned out to be more competent and sympathetic than his last two predecessors.

DEMOSKOP:

M: 29,9%
FP: 5,2%
C: 4,2%
KD: 3,1%

Government: 42,4%

S: 34,1%
MP: 9,5%
V: 6,5%
SD: 6,6%

Opposition: 56,8%

SIFO:

M: 28,7%
FP: 5,9%
C: 4,9%
KD: 3,5%

Government: 43,0%

S: 33,7%
MP: 10,3%
V: 6,1%
SD: 5,2%

Opposition: 55,3%
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 03:40:25 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2012, 03:45:33 PM by Swedish Cheese »

Truly encouraging news for their Danish comrades, who are on their lowest level since 1898 according to the latest polls.

Not sure why it'd be an encouraging sign. The Social Democrats in Sweden and the Danmark are at quite different places at the moment. S rise here is due to factors such as a government people are growing a bit tired off and them finally getting a good leader. In Denmark the Social Democrats are the government, and they still have Helle as their leader.

What does polls look like more exactly? Would an election result in a return of the VCO(I) government or would Helle's coalition manage to cling on? 
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 08:04:20 AM »

I'd like to summarise the political developments in Sweden for the last months:

Zzzzzzzzz...

JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 03:07:15 PM »

Starting count-down for Thorning-Schmidt's forced resignation.
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 03:14:05 PM »

Yes, yes, this is the actual Prime Minister of Denmark, and not a parody

JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 04:16:46 PM »

Danish Minister of Justice forced to resign
The reason for the parties' lack of confidence in him is that the lied to the Folketing's Justice Committee about the reason for a cancelled Justice Committee trip to the controversial, anarchic Christiania area. The intelligence service had told the Minister that such a trip would include great threats to their security, especially due to the presence of former DF/DPP leader Pia Kjærsgaard who is not very popular in these sorts of areas. However, the Minister lied and told the committee that the trip was cancelled because the police chief couldn't make it that day.

That seems like a very unnecessary thing to lie about. He should join Håkan Juholt's group "Politicians that lie for the fun of it even when there's no reason to."
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 07:39:50 PM »

He was the leading voice in the successful campaign against the Maastricht Treaty in 1992 with his famous slogan "Holger og konen siger nej til unionen (Holger and his wife say no to the union)", it rhimes in Danish Wink

Though presumably only to the highly limited extent that anything can rhyme in Danish... Tongue

What is this Danish you speak off? I think you mean the sound of choking on too much food in your mouth. 
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 12:55:08 PM »

How will SF leaving the coalition affect the government? Will Social Democrats and Social Liberals continue a minority government, hoping for parliamentary support from SF in addition to Enhedslisten? Or will they now look for an additional partner, maybe DPP? While I understand that the government is not keen on new elections, will they really be able to avoid them?

And life sort of imitates art again... Borgen saw the SD and SL equivalents end up as a minority government when the Greens (their SPP) pulled out.

Don't you mean Labour and Moderates? Wink
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 03:12:35 PM »

DF biggest party in a national poll for the first time ever. In a poll by YouGov for MetroExpress, DF is the biggest party. This is not very surprising days after they won the EP elections clearly and with the Liberals tormented by the expenses scandals of their leader, but nevertheless quite significant. No suprise that it's a YouGov poll either; they have consistenly been showing the highest DF results.

DF 23.9% 42 seats
Liberals 21.3% 38
Social Democrats 17.6% 31
Enhedslisten/Unity List 11.9% 21
Social Liberals 8.7% 15
Liberal Alliance 6.7% 12
SF 4.8% 9
Conservatives 4.2% 7
Christian Democrats 0.9% 0

Government + supporting parties = 76 seats
Opposition = 99 seats

With a result like this, could Thulesen Dahl become Prime Minister, or is DF still controversial enough that Venstre would refuse to enter a coalition with them?
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 04:40:31 AM »

In Sweden those who didn't belong to the state Church, the evangelicals, were traditionally supporting the liberals. Once the liberals became, well, liberal, the Christian Democrats eventually arose as a response.

When were the Liberals really liberal? I mean except maybe for a few years during Bengt Westerberg's reign.  Tongue
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2014, 09:04:52 AM »

Alex Stubb has been elected NCP leader and will be new prime minister.

Is he a native Finnish or Swedish speaker? Wikipedia seemed a bit unclear on the subject. 
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 05:35:15 AM »

So, since all sources seem to point towards the dear Gucci Helle as next in line for Van Rompuy's cushy EU job, who is likely to replace her as Prime Minister in Denmark? I don't really know who's up and coming in the Social Democratic party on your side of Öresund.
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 01:58:21 PM »

A 36-year-old prime minister would be pretty damn impressive. Would probably be the youngest Head of Government of a democratic country?
The new Estonian prime minister is even younger. The three newest heads of government in the EU are Renzi (Italy, 39yo), Taavi Roivas (Estonia, 34yo) and Stubb (Finland, 46yo).

We'll probably have to wait the autumn to know whether Helle gets the job at the EU though.

She's apperently the prefered candidate of Merkel, Renzi, and Cameron. (selfie-buddies)
It wouldn't surprise me if it isn't made official until the autumn, but it's pretty clear that she will get a new ridiculously high salary to buy all the fashionables she has ever dream of, and Denmark will get a new likable Prime Minister.  
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2014, 02:37:20 PM »
« Edited: July 15, 2014, 02:41:28 PM by Swedish Cheese »

If HTS was after a high paycheck she would not be PM of Denmark. She's in it for the power, as such I have no doubt that she will take the job as President of the European Council, if it's offered to her. But to suggest it's over money is both ignorant and silly. 

Are you trying to channel Frank Underwood?

I'm pretty sure she won't mind either the power or having a salary higher than Obama. Mostly of course she will take the job because staying on as PM would (most likely) lead to her being thrown out next-year, and quitting while ahead by taking a secure guaranteed power position for five years is preferable to humiliation at the ballot box. I too would prefer being the President of the European Council to being leader of opposition in the Folketing salary or no salary.

I don't know. But it's pretty clear he does want her in a top EU-position.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

And before Council President he was touting her as an alternative to Juncker.

No. 10 backs wife of Kinnock's son for top EU-post.

JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2014, 03:27:01 PM »

Also anyone who have followed her career can see she's a ruthless career politicians.

Oh, that part, I wouldn't question for a second.

Except I would say that right now, if she's not elected President of the Council, her chance to be reelected are rather high as the government. She can more or less just wait for the next scandal in Venstre. It doesn't look like there are any negative surprises in the economy, the unemplyment are falling, the economy are growth. So right now it's a waiting game, to see what skeletons are hiding in LLR's closet.

Waiting for what exactly, voters trickling down from Venstre to DF? Because LLR's scandals so far hasn't really seemed to benefit the government much, and with Enhedslisten barking at the Social Democrats' tail it would, to use your own words, be silly and ignorant to think that President of the Council isn't a more safe job to have. Especially since HTS has barely been able to keep her dysfunctional coalition together.

I'm not saying that she couldn't possibly survive if she stayed on. There have been far greater turn-arounds for unpopular incumbant governments in recent history. But her chances would obviously be less than 50%, whereas securing this job would guarantee her five years without having to deal with bickering coalition partners, voters or digging journalists, leaving her free to tour the Union taking selfies with world leaders and getting autographs from the cast of Sex and the City.     
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2014, 05:46:20 AM »

So... if the Faroe Islands now decide to do it too and work fast, they might still beat us.

Don't worry, they won't. The Faroe Islands are tha Alabama of Northern Europe. Finland could drag this decission out for twenty years and you still would beat them. Wink
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2015, 04:36:17 PM »

Busch is the charismatic leader of KD in Uppsala. 

Really... ?I will have to disagree with you here Gustaf.  If Busch seemed any more cold she'd be the ice queen from Narnia. Busch might be charismatic for KD, but really, that's not saying much.
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2015, 06:41:37 AM »

Cmon Johan, you are the one that wanted a separate Sweden thread. No need to answer him here.

Yes, but since Gustaf posted it here I assumed he'd be more likely to see my reply here. Wink

And, yeah, by Swedish standards I think she is. I've seen her speak live and was relatively impressed.

Well we'll have to disagree then I guess.

I'll admit that I'm basing my impression of her mostly from the documentary series Kommunpampar, were I really thought she came across as a stiff and cold careerist. But I've seen here preform decently in debates about affermative action since then, but not enough that I'd qualify her as charismatic.   
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2015, 03:06:10 AM »

The Saudi offer is a bit of a surprise since Saudi-Arabia hitherto has supported the rival Menningarsetur múslima á Íslandi, which were expelled from Félag múslima á Íslandi a couple of years ago for extremism and fanaticism.

Why is it a surprise?  A classic way of controlling people is to get them dependent upon your money and then threaten to cut it off unless you do what they want.

The Icelandic press thinks it is a surprise, probably because they don't have your devious Southern mind.

I would add that Saudi-Arabia trying to buy influence in something as marginal as Iceland is in itself surprising.

They don't care about Iceland, but about Iceland's Muslims.  Wahhabism seeks to convert all heretic Muslims to the true faith.

All five of the icelandic muslims? :0
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2015, 06:21:41 PM »

The Danish SDs should be euthanized.

I'm so glad when we agree on something 100%  ^^

The thing is that at this point it is basically an advantage for Danish politicians (outside of Radikale and the left wing) to be criticized by Swedes on immigration and integration.

Well it's a door that swings both ways. V and S aren't running these ads because they think it will affect the Danish Social Democrats or Danish opinion, they're using it to win political points at home, as Denmark is often seen as the worst example to what will happen if we give in to demands for stronger restrictions for immigrants.  Them criticizing SD because this ad might help SD, but it also helps themselves here at home by energizing their grassroots.   

JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2015, 01:29:26 PM »

Another initiative that has been gathering steam is an initiative calling for a referendum on Finland's membership in the Eurozone; in only three days it has gathered 40% of the signatures needed.

What happened to the Initiative about getting rid of mandatory Swedish? Voted down, or not taken up yet?

JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2015, 04:54:28 PM »

The first Utøya summer camp since the massacre was opened this week-end by AUF chairman Mani Hussain. NATO SG Jens Stoltenberg,  Gro Harlem Brundtland and AP leader Jonas Gahr Støre will be among the speakers.

http://www.norwaypost.no/index.php/news/latest-news/30985

Democracy prevails. Smiley
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies