Why are most Jews Democrats? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:57:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why are most Jews Democrats? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why are most Jews Democrats?  (Read 10186 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« on: March 21, 2012, 07:19:36 PM »

The single most salient reason these days is that Jews are more secular than the general population.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 10:54:15 AM »

Has anyone touched on the issue that German Jews tend to be more Pub?  That is certainly the case in Cincinnati, and I suspect generally true.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 12:12:39 PM »

Has anyone touched on the issue that German Jews tend to be more Pub?  That is certainly the case in Cincinnati, and I suspect generally true.

I would wonder how many German Jews now are descended from the 1930s diaspora as opposed to the 1840s/1850s immigration, and how many of the latter have preserved an identity as German Jewish in the long term. So many of those smaller communities in places like Dixie have died out.

I doubt they think of themselves as German much these days of course, but they are still Jewish. I think the Jews in Cincinnati are from the earlier migration to a fair extent. In any event, they have been well assimilated into the local bourgeoise there for a long time.  Gradison (R) used to be a representative from there, who was Jewish.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 06:32:58 PM »

The stereotypical American secular Jew would love the ideal of the Lib Dems. The reality of the Lib Dems and the difference between secular American Jews and British Jews would explain why the LD share was so much lower than I expected.

I would be interested in your views as to how you consider Jews of the two nationalities to be different. I have never thought about that before. Granted the Tories these days have a more secular - and less Christian-centric - image than the Pubs do these days, but you are suggesting it is less about the image of the parties, and more about the differences between the two groups of Jews themselves.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies