2000 GOP candidates compared to 2012 GOP candidates? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:34:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2000 GOP candidates compared to 2012 GOP candidates? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2000 GOP candidates compared to 2012 GOP candidates?  (Read 1412 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
« on: March 22, 2012, 12:27:30 PM »

Dubya's campaign was way too moderate to be compared to Perry, and no relation at all to Paul.

George ("Humble foreign policy") Bush was very moderate in the 2000 campaign, and I agree that he doesn't really compare to Ron Paul.  Paul is a purist.  He wants to start dismantling large apparati of the government, and I'm not sure anyone can be compared to him from 2000.

McCain was a serious neocon.  Nuke 'em all/let God sort 'em out.  Big on sanctions against Iraq and defense in general.  Consistent.  He also didn't kowtow to the Liberty University crowd.  Is there anyone like McCain this year?  I don't think so.  Then again, the picture is so different now that no comparisons are apt.  Iraq doesn't even exist anymore, for example, mainly due to the not-so-humble foreign policy that George Bush pursued once he was elected.

Hatch was a smooth talker.  He was the anti-terrorist point man from the late 90s, and that was a large part of his campaign.  He was much more serious than Bush about such things.  Maybe Santorum is a bit like Hatch in that regard, but Hatch at least had a sense of humor.  Also, Santorum also has a little of the Gary Bauer in him.  It's difficult to make on-to-one mappings for these candidates.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 12:39:01 PM »

Bush made a few sops to the Buchananites, but the foreign policy he ran on was essentially that of the liberal Rockefeller-Ford-H.W. Bush faction (not the Buchananites, and not the neocons, who essentially won out in a "coup" after 9/11, and were in turn forced to share power with the liberals again after the '06 midterms).

Exactly, and this is also why such comparisons are apt to be inept.  Mitt Romney talks quite negatively about China when he talks about foreign policy, but who was talking about China in 2000?  We know that George Bush did say that on the issue of most favored nation trading status, he agreed with Clinton.  I can hardly imagine Romney saying that today. 

"Trade with China will promote freedom. The case for trade is not just monetary, but moral - not just a matter of commerce, but a matter of conviction."
   --Dubya, 2000

"China is cheating and needs to follow the rules."
    --Willard, 2011
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies