Israeli Army Detains hundreds of Palestinian Children every year
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:19:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israeli Army Detains hundreds of Palestinian Children every year
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Israeli Army Detains hundreds of Palestinian Children every year  (Read 1466 times)
Jacobtm

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 22, 2012, 08:49:40 AM »
« edited: March 22, 2012, 08:52:23 AM by Jacobtm »

Between 500 and 700 Palestinian children are arrested by Israeli soldiers each year, mostly accused of throwing stones. Since 2008, Defence for Children International (DCI) has collected sworn testimonies from 426 minors detained in Israel's military justice system.

Their statements show a pattern of night-time arrests, hands bound with plastic ties, blindfolding, physical and verbal abuse, and threats. About 9% of all those giving affidavits say they were kept in solitary confinement, although there has been a marked increase to 22% in the past six months.

Few parents are told where their children have been taken. Minors are rarely questioned in the presence of a parent, and rarely see a lawyer before or during initial interrogation. Most are detained inside Israel, making family visits very difficult.

Human rights organisations say these patterns of treatment – which are corroborated by a separate study, No Minor Matter, conducted by an Israeli group, B'Tselem – violate the international convention on the rights of the child, which Israel has ratified, and the fourth Geneva convention.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jan/22/palestinian-children-detained-jail-israel

danny
Israel

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 09:51:18 AM »

Naturally, if the Palestinians use minors in combat or terrorism, Israel is going to arrest them. If the Palestinians want to stop this from happening they should stop using child soldiers.
Jacobtm

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 10:27:57 AM »

Naturally, if the Palestinians use minors in combat or terrorism, Israel is going to arrest them. If the Palestinians want to stop this from happening they should stop using child soldiers.

The point is that these children are not given legal counsel and their parents do not even know where they are.

And of course, they all claim to be innocent.

You can't just arrest children with no access to legal counsel because YOU claim they're a terrorist.

Israel needs to stop justifying its human rights abuses and start rectifying them.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 12:06:35 PM »

The point is that these children are not given legal counsel and their parents do not even know where they are.

When you arrest a child soldier, how exactly are you supposed to figure out the parents are?

And of course, they all claim to be innocent.

It isn't very difficult to claim to be innocent.

Israel needs to stop justifying its human rights abuses and start rectifying them.

You mean the Palestinians, I assume?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 01:10:15 PM »

Well, Palestine has the right to defend itself from the invasion of its territory by Israel.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 04:11:17 PM »

Well, Palestine has the right to defend itself from the invasion of its territory by Israel.

I'm pretty sure Israel also has the right defend itself from child soldiers, and to discourage use thereof.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 04:18:42 PM »

I'm pretty sure Israel also has the right defend itself from child soldiers, and to discourage use thereof.

I don't think children throwing stones is an act of war.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 04:36:14 PM »

Somehow I think Goliath would disagree with you...
danny
Israel

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 06:38:29 AM »

Regardless of how you would call it, throwing stones at people is dangerous and you can't just let people do it with impunity merely because they are under 18.
Jacobtm

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 03:33:50 PM »

When you arrest a child soldier, how exactly are you supposed to figure out the parents are?
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Which is why you give people trials and legal counsel instead of just locking them up.

You mean the Palestinians, I assume?

Israel kills far more Palestinians than Palestinians kill Israelis. Israel is an occupying force that is being resisted against. Resistance to an occupation is moral. Arresting children from their beds and not giving them a trial is not. Stones mean nothing to Israeli tanks.

You all are just monsters, justifying this sh**t.
danny
Israel

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 04:43:40 PM »

Israel kills far more Palestinians than Palestinians kill Israelis.

There are relatively less Israelis killed because Israel kills and arrests Palestinians, if Israel sat back and did nothing, there would be many more Israelis killed

Israel is an occupying force that is being resisted against.

If the Palestinians didn't want an occupation then they should have agreed to the United Nations Partition Plan in 47, but the only occupation they want to end is the one which will eliminate Israel.

Resistance to an occupation is moral. Arresting children from their beds and not giving them a trial is not. Stones mean nothing to Israeli tanks.

Contrary to your belief, stones do kill people, including babies.

Yes, when people try to kill me and every other Jew in my country, I will gladly justify measures taken to stop that.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies