Politico: Biden may be laying groundwork for 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:16:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Politico: Biden may be laying groundwork for 2016
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Politico: Biden may be laying groundwork for 2016  (Read 5833 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 22, 2012, 04:08:17 AM »

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0312/74335.html
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 04:32:10 AM »

If he were to run and win- he would  top Henry Clay's political longevity...
Now I doubt he wins and still doubt he runs... but kudos to the man for trying
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 06:04:10 AM »

As a Biden fan, I can only say I wish him the best luck, despite all possible odds.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 09:26:58 AM »

I'd love to see Biden run in 2016. I think he'd make a fine president, all things considered.
Is Totally Not Feeblepizza.
Crackers
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 12:16:56 PM »

Eh. Wish luck to the old dude.
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 12:28:59 PM »

I think he's more focused on keeping his job than on running for President in four years. He has to prove to Obama that he's still a valuable asset. His recent pitbull mentality and frenetic campaigning have shown that while he lacks Hillary Clinton's political base, he is arguably a better campaigner. I've always been a fan of Biden, and would have a hard time opposing him if he ran in 2016, but I doubt that he's going to run.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 09:15:26 PM »

LOL
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 10:01:10 PM »

I think he might be collecting advisers not for a Presidential run, but for whomever he and President Obama deem worthy of their endorsement in 2016.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 01:04:36 AM »

Biden suggests running on a ticket with Hillary Clinton in 2016, then says he's "only joking":

link

You must be logged in to read this quote.

He also insists he's not going to be replaced on the 2012 ticket by anyone:

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 01:06:15 AM »

Could his support or whatever of gay marriage be trying to ward of Andrew Cuomo?

I wonder how much it'd hurt him that Bin Laden wanted to assassinate Obama because he was less worried about Biden.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 01:44:11 AM »

I wish him luck if he splits the establishment vote. Maybe we could try putting in a left-wing president part deux(last-one turned out to be a moderate and a neo-liberal after getting some amount of campaign donations).
EmersonAdams
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -4.52

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 09:07:10 AM »

I'd like to see a president Biden; there are others I like more, but I'd happily cast my vote for him in a general election. It's possible that he runs (he's only a little older than McCain, and he still seams to have a strong energy and drive), but I'd give the odds at  10-1 against. Now, I think he's got a much better chance at being the king maker in 2016 for the democratic nomination, and the more he wins the support of the base, the better a position he'll have to be a king maker.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 12:06:42 PM »

Gosh darn, I would so prefer President Biden over President Obama. Obviously I wouldn't endorse Biden's best shot (no pun intended) at ascending to the office... but boy. Someone with leadership skills would be so nice.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 12:14:04 PM »

I dont' believe there is any chance he would win- he may as well enjoy his time as Vice President. It is the 2nd highest office in the land and a great achievement...
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 12:58:03 PM »

Wonder if Biden would stay on as VP candidate if Hillary were nominated and asked him.  Not so crazy an idea if Obama's re-elected and his approvals inch up into mid-50s by 16, Hillary's are in 60s, Biden's as "Do No Harm" a pick as she could make.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 01:31:56 PM »

I could see it happening, but I think it would be detrimental to Democrats in the long run. You guys have a lot of up-and-coming stars that would be shafted if the ticket was Hillary-Joe. Some will argue that even Hillary has overstayed her welcome if she runs in 16'.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 12:47:43 AM »

I could see it happening, but I think it would be detrimental to Democrats in the long run. You guys have a lot of up-and-coming stars that would be shafted if the ticket was Hillary-Joe. Some will argue that even Hillary has overstayed her welcome if she runs in 16'.

I would tend to agree.  If either Clinton or Biden got the 2016 nomination, I would lean toward thinking they should choose a younger, rising star as a running mate.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 10:12:04 AM »

I think we tend to underrate Biden's odds of being the 2016 nominee. If (in advance) it seems likely that the election will be a bad one for Democrats, he's probably the single most likely nominee. (In any other situation, I'd completely discount him.)
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 12:37:41 PM »

I think we tend to underrate Biden's odds of being the 2016 nominee. If (in advance) it seems likely that the election will be a bad one for Democrats, he's probably the single most likely nominee. (In any other situation, I'd completely discount him.)

I agree and there's two fairly plausible scenarios.  Obama's re-elected and there's another downturn by early 2015.  Or Romney wins this year and the recovery picks up a lot of steam.  Probably would be a lost cause but also Biden's last chance and for whatever reason, he seems more interested in trying a very uphill race than Hillary would be if it came down to it.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2012, 10:25:04 PM »

Sounds like Jill Biden is on board for another WH run from Joe, should he decide to go for it:

http://www.wcti12.com/politics/31159348/detail.html
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2012, 06:17:41 AM »

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/biden-looks-ahead-2016-election_650281.html

Btw, I'm becoming more and more convinced that Biden would end up going nowhere in 2016.  Sure, if HRC doesn't run, then Biden will lead the early Democratic primary polls.  But most of his likely opponents have very low name recognition at present, and have nowhere to go but up.

Biden's supposed "gaffes" are pretty harmless as long as he's the #2 guy on the ticket, but if he ran for president again on his own, then in the modern Youtube/Twitter 24 hour media environment, his gaffes would completely take over the conversation about his campaign.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2012, 04:00:52 PM »

Btw, I'm becoming more and more convinced that Biden would end up going nowhere in 2016.  Sure, if HRC doesn't run, then Biden will lead the early Democratic primary polls.  But most of his likely opponents have very low name recognition at present, and have nowhere to go but up.

Biden's supposed "gaffes" are pretty harmless as long as he's the #2 guy on the ticket, but if he ran for president again on his own, then in the modern Youtube/Twitter 24 hour media environment, his gaffes would completely take over the conversation about his campaign.

There will be no YouTube or Twitter in the year 2016. Only news in pill form.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2012, 01:11:07 PM »

You think Obama be forced to endorse him in 2015 (assuming HRC doesn't run)? Would an HRC run allow Obama to stay 'neutral?'
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2012, 06:36:07 PM »

You think Obama be forced to endorse him in 2015 (assuming HRC doesn't run)? Would an HRC run allow Obama to stay 'neutral?'

Obama won't endorse anyone in the 2016 primaries.  He'll stay neutral regardless, and let the voters sort it out.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2012, 10:07:28 AM »

Biden will have to hope that him entering the race will convince most of the other major contenders to stay out. In other words, kind of like what happened in 2000.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies