Tippecanoe and Tyler too. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:25:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  Tippecanoe and Tyler too. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tippecanoe and Tyler too.  (Read 5942 times)
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« on: March 22, 2012, 05:30:34 PM »

I would recommend "A long and Flowing Whig" on ah.com, but many believe higher tariffs, a third national bank, and an expanded military aren't unrealistic.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 08:53:19 PM »

Buchanan might actually be a good choice. With 24 years of experience in national politics including a stint as Ambassador to Russia, being a dough-heard (Northerner with Southern sympathies), and coming from Pennsylvania, he might be able to land the nom.

Screw Buchanan!  Polk 44!  Fillmore 52!  Btw, I hope he's POTUS in your Washington TL.  Otherwise, there will be Hell to pay Wink
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 10:10:06 PM »

Well, in this scenario Harrison doesn't die and so Tyler's tenure in office doesn't happen, so they have Harrison to start with. The question for me would be whether or not somebody like Clay is likely to challenge him for the nomination in 1844.

Henry Clay wanted the Whig nomination bad, as I understand.

Harrison promised to only serve one term if elected.  He wouldn't run for a second term unless to prevent Clay from winning it.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 03:52:34 PM »

Senator Stephen J. Douglas (D-IL)/Senator Charles G. Atherton (D-NH) 148 electoral votes
President John J. Crittenden (W-KY)/Vice President Millard Fillmore (W-NY) 136 electoral votes

I find that somewhat ironic. The first two Whigs to be President in this timeline don't want a second term, and when they finally find a guy who does want one, he isn't able to get one.

Funny, and also realistic.

I looked up John Crittenden. It seems he was often mentioned as a prospective candidate for the Presidency in reality, but always refused to run. These days it's hard to imagine anybody who has been as high up as Attorney General who wouldn't leap at a chance to be elected.

Different times.

Well Douglas was quite the campaigner and Crittenden in some people's eyes had run his course. This is pure speculation of course, but that's how things go around here. Start with a what-if and see how far you can take it.

I like Crittenden, Fillmore, Van Buren, etc.  Can't you put Milly somewhere?!  Wink
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 06:05:11 PM »

I like Crittenden, Fillmore, Van Buren, etc.  Can't you put Milly somewhere?!  Wink

I could see Fillmore being the Whig's candidate around 1860 in this timeline if President Douglas isn't doing so well by then.

I'm curious, does Lincoln still come to prominence? What about the slavery issue?

Big questions.

From what I remember reading, Lincoln, when in the House, vowed not to run for re-election in 1848. However, as the only Whig member of the delegation during his short tenure there, he would still be one of the leaders of the IL Whigs. In OTL he was willing to sit back 'til about six years later when in 1854 he began speaking and by 1858 he had emerged as one of the GOP's greatest debaters. I could see him picking up some position in the Crittenden administration. Secretary of the Interior, or maybe something in the justice department, or some sub-cabinet thing. By 1857, he could be elected to the Senate to replace Douglas.

IRL Mr. Lincoln also declined the governorship of Oregon (offered by Taylor; Abe thought it would end his legal and IL political careers).  Just thought someone would find that interesting.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 08:29:16 PM »

Tis back!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies