Did The Obama Campaign screw-up...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:22:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Did The Obama Campaign screw-up...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Did The Obama Campaign screw-up...  (Read 3143 times)
JFK-Democrat
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 21, 2012, 12:51:30 AM »

By agreeing to such an late debate schedule? The last debate is October 22nd, I cannot remember another debate so close to Election Day. Will it matter in the end?

Mister Twister

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 12:52:47 AM »

No. People only care about and remember the first debate
Northeast Rep Snowball
hiboby1998
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 12:57:46 AM »

The problem is that I think that the later ones are important content wise, and it seems a shame to lose and change in voting based on stuff revealed that soon, but at the same time, any bad misstep will not have time for correction, so there is pressure, but not as much, and the true content isn't that important
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 01:39:21 AM »
« Edited: September 21, 2012, 05:58:02 AM by Politico »

Yes, especially if third rate dictators continue to laugh at America (last debate is about foreign policy). Funny enough, a major blockbuster Hollywood flick about Carter's Iranian Hostage Crisis is being released on October 12. The film is called Argo and stars Ben Affleck and Bryan Cranston. Yes, Hollywood is going to refresh the memories of older voters about how weak Carter was, inevitably drawing parallels with Obama's recent weakness in the Middle East (No, you cannot make this sh**t up). The jobs report for October on the Friday right before the election is also unusually bad luck for the Obama campaign.

The last time a debate happened this late in the year: Yep, you guessed it, 1980.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 02:15:17 AM »

I thought it was pretty universally agreed that Obama is stronger, by quite a margin, in polls on foreign policy? I seem to remember something like 50-39 O-R.

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 02:16:45 AM »
« Edited: September 21, 2012, 02:18:32 AM by Nathan »

I thought it was pretty universally agreed that Obama is stronger, by quite a margin, in polls on foreign policy? I seem to remember something like 50-39 O-R.

Politico is a member of the 39% and solipsistic about it. Because Obama won't stand strong with Israel.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 04:53:22 AM »

Politico is a member of the 39% and solipsistic about it. Because Obama won't stand strong with Israel.

It's a pitty Politico doesn't reflect the "undecided voters" category, who will find Obama stronger than Romney in that debate.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 05:16:26 AM »

Yes, especially if third rate dictators continue to laugh at America

Like Gaddafi?
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 05:58:18 AM »

Hi, 2011. Welcome to 2012.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 06:21:18 AM »

Funny enough, a major blockbuster Hollywood flick about Carter's Iranian Hostage Crisis is being released on October 12. The film is called Argo and stars Ben Affleck and Bryan Cranston.

Given that the movie is also directed by Ben Affleck (and produced by George Clooney) it will probably depict the Carter administration in quite a positive light. Tongue
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 06:27:38 AM »

By agreeing to such an late debate schedule? The last debate is October 22nd, I cannot remember another debate so close to Election Day. Will it matter in the end?

Not at all. They're trying to make sure people outside the Tea Party will be aware there's an election going on by the time Obama minces Romney in the debates.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 06:35:58 AM »
« Edited: September 21, 2012, 06:40:30 AM by Politico »

Funny enough, a major blockbuster Hollywood flick about Carter's Iranian Hostage Crisis is being released on October 12. The film is called Argo and stars Ben Affleck and Bryan Cranston.

Given that the movie is also directed by Ben Affleck (and produced by George Clooney) it will probably depict the Carter administration in quite a positive light. Tongue

The vast majority of older people who actually lived in that era will declare the movie to be comedic gold in that case.

Say what you will about Affleck, he has proven to be an artist in the director's chair. Perhaps I am going to be disappointed, but I think he will paint a realistic picture of what really happened without resorting to shameless propaganda. There are still people in Hollywood who put art and entertainment before their personal politics.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 09:03:10 AM »

Yeah, Its 2012 guys, Ghaddafi can't laugh at anyone anymore.  He's dead.   
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 09:21:58 AM »

Yes, especially if third rate dictators continue to laugh at America (last debate is about foreign policy). Funny enough, a major blockbuster Hollywood flick about Carter's Iranian Hostage Crisis is being released on October 12. The film is called Argo and stars Ben Affleck and Bryan Cranston. Yes, Hollywood is going to refresh the memories of older voters about how weak Carter was, inevitably drawing parallels with Obama's recent weakness in the Middle East (No, you cannot make this sh**t up). The jobs report for October on the Friday right before the election is also unusually bad luck for the Obama campaign.

The last time a debate happened this late in the year: Yep, you guessed it, 1980.

For some reason, your obsession with connecting 2012 to 1980 reminds me of Glenn Beck and his blackboard, only less entertaining.
Northeast Rep Snowball
hiboby1998
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 11:06:06 AM »

The vast majority of older people who actually lived in that era will declare the movie to be comedic gold in that case.

Say what you will about Affleck, he has proven to be an artist in the director's chair. Perhaps I am going to be disappointed, but I think he will paint a realistic picture of what really happened without resorting to shameless propaganda. There are still people in Hollywood who put art and entertainment before their personal politics.

Even if what you say if right, the movie isn't about Carter, it isn't about this election, and people are not going to get your personal opinion from this movie. At most 20 people will change affilition due to this movie, and thats high in my opinion. This is either an ad disguised to be political, or you love putting yourself and your opinions on anything whether or not its true. The movie seems good from what I've seen, but it will not affect this election

Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 11:23:00 PM »

This is either an ad disguised to be political, or you love putting yourself and your opinions on anything whether or not its true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo2nQABhdKk#t=0m22s
ViaActiva

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2012, 09:25:14 AM »

I'd like to see some evidence that Obama is weak on foreign policy. The Republicans should love him for being remarkably pro-Israel and for taking out Bin Laden.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2012, 04:42:33 PM »

The movie is going to have absolutely nothing to do with Jimmy Carter as far as I can tell--good or bad.    The true story it's based on was entirely the work of low level CIA.   It's pretty foolish to think the President of the United States would be closely involved in that kind of story.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2012, 05:58:06 PM »

Kerry would have won if that was the case.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2012, 07:08:06 PM »

Kerry would have won if that was the case.

The first debate made people look at Kerry again, Bush dropped, Kerry moved up - but once Bush steadied himself in the next one, he moved back to where he was before the first debate. Which probably tells you all you need to know about the 2004 race, lol
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2012, 07:48:57 PM »

The movie is going to have absolutely nothing to do with Jimmy Carter as far as I can tell--good or bad.    The true story it's based on was entirely the work of low level CIA.   It's pretty foolish to think the President of the United States would be closely involved in that kind of story.

The film will probably have multiple flashbacks to Carter press conferences regarding the failure to secure the rescue of the hostages within the embassy. Just the setting itself will bring back memories and discussion about the failures of Carter with regards to older voters. It will prove to be a net negative for Obama on the whole.
Northeast Rep Snowball
hiboby1998
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2012, 08:55:09 PM »

The movie is going to have absolutely nothing to do with Jimmy Carter as far as I can tell--good or bad.    The true story it's based on was entirely the work of low level CIA.   It's pretty foolish to think the President of the United States would be closely involved in that kind of story.

The film will probably have multiple flashbacks to Carter press conferences regarding the failure to secure the rescue of the hostages within the embassy. Just the setting itself will bring back memories and discussion about the failures of Carter with regards to older voters. It will prove to be a net negative for Obama on the whole.
EVERYTHING ISN'T ABOUT POLITICS, THIS IS ABOUT A CIA ENDEAVOR, ITS NOT ABOUT THE ELECTION, OR CARTER
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2012, 09:49:08 PM »

That seems counter-intuitive...wouldn't it be the last debate they remember?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies