I bought a house
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:02:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  I bought a house
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I bought a house  (Read 1133 times)
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 23, 2012, 06:50:54 AM »

Over the past 18 months or so, Mrs Smid and I have been in the process of buying a block of land, getting council approvals and permits and building a house. Today we picked up the keys for our new place! It's taken long enough but very exciting now it's complete!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 07:04:26 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-0utDrWa5w Wink
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 08:10:37 AM »

Cool and congrats.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 08:38:17 AM »

Congrats, Mate!  Enjoy!
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 08:56:31 AM »

When I first saw this I thought it said "I bought a horse" Tongue

Anyway, congrats on the house. Smiley
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 09:43:16 AM »

Even if it confirms you and Mrs as Evil Easterners...

Congratulations mate, can't wait to bring over some beers and check the serenity. Smiley
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 01:47:01 PM »

Congratulations. Boy homes are expensive in Sidney. They had an episode there on HGTV international of a couple looking to rent a home. They ended up renting some rather drab thing in the boonies for about $3,000 a month.
I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 02:39:17 PM »

Congrats Smiley
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 04:25:12 PM »

Is it common to buy a plot of land and then build a house on it? When I saw the thread title (and your Facebook status), I thought that you had bought a house from someone else.

Congratulations. Boy homes are expensive in Sidney. They had an episode there on HGTV international of a couple looking to rent a home. They ended up renting some rather drab thing in the boonies for about $3,000 a month.

Smid lives in Melbourne, of course. Smiley
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 04:27:13 PM »

congrats
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 05:46:45 PM »

Congratulations.  The bank now owns your soul.  Wink
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 02:48:37 AM »

Thanks for the well-wishes, everyone!

I do indeed live in Melbourne, Torie, although my new house is technically in a town outside of Melbourne (commuter town, to borrow the British phrase), since there is farmland between it and the edge of the Melbourne suburbs. It's about 65km along the Motorway from the CBD, and there's a railway line, too. I'll try to post some photos next week but we have a gorgeous view across a cow paddock to some distant hills.

Xahar, most people would buy an established home, but with population growth, mostly migration (both inter-state and international) many new houses and apartments need to be built to accommodate people. We bought a house and land package on the edge of town. It's been a while because our block needed to be subdivided, which required council approval. The construction took just under six months.

Hugh, we're looking forward to having you over for drinks and dinner. Spare bedroom, etc.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 02:51:28 AM »

Congratulations-
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 02:52:13 AM »

Cool to hear! Congratulations!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 05:16:56 AM »

If you built it yourself, why do you need to "pick up the keys"? Oh wait, you had someone build it for you. Tongue
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2012, 07:46:39 AM »

If you built it yourself, why do you need to "pick up the keys"? Oh wait, you had someone build it for you. Tongue

I wonder how common that is today in the Western world. My grandfather built his own house for  his family but I don't know anyone now who's done that.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2012, 09:03:56 AM »

No one literally builds their own house today - at least, not alone. Some people like to have as much control over plans, construction etc as possible and also muck in and "help" / annoy on the building site, however. I guess if you neither picked it from a catalogue nor simply bought a new house that you have no or next to no influence on how it looked (say on a brand new privately built estate) - in which case of course you're still making the decision to buy before it's actually finished - I'd call it "building a house". Smiley
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2012, 03:15:06 PM »

Smid and Mrs Smid have been pretty involved in the process from what I understand, without being too annoying.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2012, 06:14:07 PM »

No one literally builds their own house today - at least, not alone. Some people like to have as much control over plans, construction etc as possible and also muck in and "help" / annoy on the building site, however. I guess if you neither picked it from a catalogue nor simply bought a new house that you have no or next to no influence on how it looked (say on a brand new privately built estate) - in which case of course you're still making the decision to buy before it's actually finished - I'd call it "building a house". Smiley

My parents built the house they currently live in back in 1998 (in fact, I think most, if not all, of the houses in my neighborhood were customly built for the owners).  I don't remember the process too well since I was around 8 at the time, but they fired the original architect due to visionary disagreements or whatever so they definitely had some sort of creative control over the process. They actually had a Hindu priest bless the then-empty lot prior to construction, as I recall.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2012, 07:03:09 PM »

We picked our block from among the ones available, but it was narrow, so they had to redo the plans. The plans they showed us had a fourth bedroom, but we told them we wanted to sacrifice that for a walk-in robe and ensuite. We also got them to reduce the laundry size for more space in the bathroom, so we could fit a bath without it being under the shower. Then we switched the normal, shallow bath for a deep bath, with a tiled rim around (room for wine bottle and glasses). We also picked all our colours, from bricks and roof tiles and garage door colour, etc, to carpet and floor tiles, wall tiles, shade of paint, the cupboard and benchtops colours for kitchen, bathroom and ensuite. We also made a change with the island in the kitchen, to leave a space in the middle to install a wine cooler/fridge.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2012, 11:52:55 PM »

Tell me about it!  We managed to find a rather nice house for $2700 a month (lowered price after being on the market for a couple of months), and needless to say I have dialed down some of the more luxurious aspects of my lifestyle.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2012, 04:46:21 AM »

My parents built the house they currently live in back in 1998 (in fact, I think most, if not all, of the houses in my neighborhood were customly built for the owners).  I don't remember the process too well since I was around 8 at the time, but they fired the original architect due to visionary disagreements or whatever so they definitely had some sort of creative control over the process. They actually had a Hindu priest bless the then-empty lot prior to construction, as I recall.
See, that's the kind of situation I was thinking of, that I would count as "building a house".
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2012, 08:15:41 AM »

Nice to hear that that sort of thing is going well, you know Smiley

I wonder how common that is today in the Western world. My grandfather built his own house for  his family but I don't know anyone now who's done that.

When our family got a bit big for what was effectively a two-up two-down, my dad did the wiring for the little extension and was involved (though I can't quite remember how much; this was ages ago) in some other stuff. Of course given his job... Grin
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2012, 05:15:12 PM »

Nice to hear that that sort of thing is going well, you know Smiley

When our family got a bit big for what was effectively a two-up two-down, my dad did the wiring for the little extension and was involved (though I can't quite remember how much; this was ages ago) in some other stuff. Of course given his job... Grin

Yeah, I guess that is a prerequisite. My grandfather was a construction worker so I guess building a house came rather naturally to him as well. Tongue
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies