Gulf War: Iraq invades Saudi Arabia right after invading Kuwait and succeds
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:21:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Gulf War: Iraq invades Saudi Arabia right after invading Kuwait and succeds
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gulf War: Iraq invades Saudi Arabia right after invading Kuwait and succeds  (Read 1351 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 21, 2015, 10:45:29 PM »

After Invading in Aug 5 1990 Saudi Arabia falls in 4-6 weeks and  how would it affect these things in the war

Which country would let US and Coalition forces build up in

Would it require a D Day style landing to take back Saudi Arabia

Would it make the Gulf War more of a Ground War instead of an Air War

Would it cost US and Coalition thousands of lives to liberate Saudi Arabia and Kuwait

Would US and Coalition forces including the Arab ones go all the way and remove Saddam Hussein and  the Baath Party from Power

If they do remove Saddam Hussein would US and Coalition forces able to stabilize Iraq due to having over 750, 000 troops instead of just having 150000 like they did in 2003

Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 10:58:01 PM »

The Iraqi Army would be far too overstretched at this point.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 12:33:01 AM »

There's a pretty massive desert between the most populated parts of Saudi Arabia and Iraq. I could see big chunks of the coast of eastern Saudi Arabia occupied by the Iraqi army, but I don't see how the Iraqi army takes Riyadh in six weeks, let alone the Hedjaz.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 01:31:55 AM »
« Edited: March 22, 2015, 01:35:10 AM by Computer09 »

There's a pretty massive desert between the most populated parts of Saudi Arabia and Iraq. I could see big chunks of the coast of eastern Saudi Arabia occupied by the Iraqi army, but I don't see how the Iraqi army takes Riyadh in six weeks, let alone the Hedjaz.

Saudi Arabia had a really weak military in 1990 . All Iraq needs to do is blitzkrieg and they reach the capital and force the Saudi Government to run away like France in 1940. Iraq had a military over one million men who were very ruthless and evil which would stop the Saudis from forming an insurgency of so they possibly can hold Saudi Arabia. There's no doubt they will get Crushed by the Americans though once the US comes and Saddam is probably disposed in 1991 and taken to the Hague and convicted for War Crimes and Crimes against Humanity . I just want to know what would happen to the things I stated.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 10:48:56 AM »

Saudi Arabia had a really weak military in 1990 . All Iraq needs to do is blitzkrieg and they reach the capital and force the Saudi Government to run away like France in 1940. Iraq had a military over one million men who were very ruthless and evil which would stop the Saudis from forming an insurgency of so they possibly can hold Saudi Arabia. There's no doubt they will get Crushed by the Americans though once the US comes and Saddam is probably disposed in 1991 and taken to the Hague and convicted for War Crimes and Crimes against Humanity . I just want to know what would happen to the things I stated.

All Iraq needs to do is blitzkrieg? How does that work? The incredibly harsh desert between Iraq and Riyadh would be hell on Iraq's tanks (sand jamming the gears), especially if there's a sandstorm that grinds them to a halt. The logistics of running a supply line through to support food and especially water to soldiers on the front line are unimaginably complicated. All the Saudis would have to do is sabotage the highway between Dammam and Riyadh and there's no reliable way to drive west into the heart of Saudi Arabia except through hundreds of miles of deep sand.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 11:13:55 AM »

How about parachuters?

As the OP said the Saudi military was pretty weak back then, so it would not take large forces.

Still, if they really wanted to conquer Saudi-Arabia they would need enough naval/amphibian capability to attack from the Red Sea simultaneously with the invasion of Kuwait (before the US could block them) - and they only had a collection of patrol boats etc.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 02:03:44 PM »

How about parachuters?

As the OP said the Saudi military was pretty weak back then, so it would not take large forces.

Still, if they really wanted to conquer Saudi-Arabia they would need enough naval/amphibian capability to attack from the Red Sea simultaneously with the invasion of Kuwait (before the US could block them) - and they only had a collection of patrol boats etc.

If the Capital quickly falls the rest of the Country(For a country like Saudi Arabia) falls like a house of cards. For example if the Germans captured Moscow they would have won the war. If Saudi's Capital fell they would have had most of the Country under control as they would then controll all the major Oil fields.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 07:42:57 PM »

If the Capital quickly falls the rest of the Country(For a country like Saudi Arabia) falls like a house of cards. For example if the Germans captured Moscow they would have won the war. If Saudi's Capital fell they would have had most of the Country under control as they would then controll all the major Oil fields.

Losing Moscow would have been bad for moral, but in no way fatal for the Soviets, who had already moved a lot of their industrial capacity and various facilities to Siberia. The Saudis would likewise fight on from Hejaz after losing Riyadh.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 08:03:23 PM »

The Coalition stages out of Turkey and goes straight for Baghdad. There's no way the other Arab leaders would allow Saddam to stay in power if he pulled something like this.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 11:21:29 PM »

Hopefully the US would stay out and let Saudi regime get what it deserves.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 02:11:05 AM »

Hopefully the US would stay out and let Saudi regime get what it deserves.

i dont think the US would let Suddam control nearly half the world's Oil fields. With that much oil he can hold the rest of the world at ransom which could cause another 1973 crash
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 01:30:36 PM »

George Bush Snr said he'd use nuclear weapons to protect Saudi Arabia
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length