Are breed based "dangerous dog laws" EVER a good idea? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:58:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Are breed based "dangerous dog laws" EVER a good idea? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Are breed based "dangerous dog laws" EVER a good idea?
yes (D)

no (D)

yes (R)

no (R)

yes (I)

no (I)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: Are breed based "dangerous dog laws" EVER a good idea?  (Read 1821 times)
Redalgo
United States

« on: March 24, 2012, 01:48:44 PM »

I know little about the subject but my initial impression is dog breeds tend to differ to some extent in temperament and behavior. I reckon the fashion in which a dog is raised and the environment in which it is placed have considerable influence on how each individual tends to interact with human beings but, whereas human "races" are superficial and socially-constructed despite a lack of substantive genetic variation to justify doing so, a lot of dogs have been carefully bred to promote and/or discourage certain, specific physical characteristics and behavioral tendencies that probably warrant at least a wee bit of consideration.

Nonetheless, unless someone here exposes me to compelling arguments for why there should be breed-specific laws, I would much prefer that pertinent regulations be carefully designed to apply universally to all dogs rather than overly-stereotyping or even placing a stigma on certain breeds.
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 01:34:55 AM »

I can't speak for rottweilers as a whole, but I grew up with a rottweiler who was the sweetest, most loving, most joyful dog you could ever hope to meet.

Aye, I recall a neighbor having a rottweiler before one my moves and she pretty much matched that description! Incidentally, the most aggressive dog I've met happened to be a chihuahua. xD
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies