In Canada, you can get arrested if your daughter draws a gun in class
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:26:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  In Canada, you can get arrested if your daughter draws a gun in class
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: In Canada, you can get arrested if your daughter draws a gun in class  (Read 1461 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 24, 2012, 04:55:45 AM »

and by draw, I mean with crayons and such.  link
You must be logged in to read this quote.
and have your family hassled and your home searched (presumably without a warrant).
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 07:16:42 AM »

We should send her to one of Harper's new super prisons.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 07:33:28 AM »

If the literal truth, that's indeed pretty insane.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 12:01:09 PM »

Canada needs a Second Amendment.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 01:08:42 PM »

No, no and no.

Second Amendment is one of the worst US laws. It never proved than it served a purpose, except causing violence.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 04:14:20 PM »

No, no and no.

Second Amendment is one of the worst US laws. It never proved than it served a purpose, except causing violence.

The Second Amendment means that a US citizen can use their gun to defend themselves instead of being helpless in the face of crime. It's the difference between the women who was raped, killed, and thrown in a ditch, and the woman calmly explaining to the police how she fended off someone trying to assault her.

With time, I hope, similar laws will be spread around the First World.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 05:28:06 PM »

No, no and no.

The Second Amendment means that a US citizen can use their gun to defend themselves instead of being helpless in the face of crime. It's the difference between the women who was raped, killed, and thrown in a ditch, and the woman calmly explaining to the police how she fended off someone trying to assault her.

The Second Amendment means than a white guy in Florida can shot a black guy "to defend himself".
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 06:04:20 PM »

No, no and no.

The trouble is that the victims gun is often used against her/him. Criminals will always be better at using firearms than most regular folks.
If you are attacked and doesn't have any combat experience most people either panic or loose their nerve.
Generally countries with strict gun laws also have lower levels of violent crimes. Fewer guns=less violence.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 06:05:49 PM »

Seeing that USA has a higher murder rate than Canada and all EU countries, a higher rape rate than Canada and all EU countries except Sweden, you need to be either dishonest or ignorant to think gun ownership has a real positive effect on either.

In fact if Canada had a murder rate as high as USA it would mean that 1000 extra Canadians would be murdered every year (or one 9/11 every third year), while if USA had as low murder rate as Canada 10 000 fewer Americans would be murdered every year.
So the conclusion can only be that Canada need a Second Amendment as much it need a 9/11 every third year.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 10:50:36 PM »

Is this the first gun debate on the internet for you people?
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 11:34:06 PM »

No, no and no.

The Second Amendment means than a white guy in Florida can shot a black guy "to defend himself".
Not at all.  The second amendment grants the "right to bear arms", not the right to murder.  I imagine that insane Florida law will be struck down by the courts.
I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 01:03:09 AM »

I don't think I'd be able to survive in most countries with my views :/
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 04:01:00 PM »
« Edited: March 25, 2012, 04:05:33 PM by politicus »

Meaning everyone knows, what everybody else are going to say so it is pointless to argue about it? Well, maybe...
I kinda like firearms myself (target practice, hunting etc.) and I would probably own a sizable gun collection if I were American. But I still think that the American idea that they make ordinary people safer is simply plain wrong, there is just too much evidence to the contrary.
There are a couple of debates (taxation of the wealthy, guns, death penalty and the murder rate etc.) where many Americans simply ignore the evidence from the rest of the world.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 09:07:12 PM »

I don't think I'd be able to survive in most countries with my views :/

And yet you seem to think conservatism isn't an extremist ideology.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 09:56:30 PM »

Meaning everyone knows, what everybody else are going to say so it is pointless to argue about it? Well, maybe...
Sort of....but more specifically, the argument from the gun control crowd that Europe is proof that gun control makes a society safer...it doesn't.  From here
Maybe, but it's not like the gun control crowd doesn't do the exact same thing.  It's naive at best and disingenuous at worst to think that if the US suddenly had European style gun laws that we'd automatically be a safer place.
So rightwing that I broke the Political Compass!
Rockingham

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2012, 06:32:51 AM »

But I still think that the American idea that they make ordinary people safer is simply plain wrong, there is just too much evidence to the contrary.
Is there? In my own country gun control was imposed over a decade ago... the statistical analysis since then have largely concluded that the ban had a statistically insignificant effect on the crime rate, with a minority(largely organized by pro-gun organizations) asserting a statistically significant increase in crime. Notably their haven't been any studies, even those organized by gun control advocates, that asserted a statistically significant decrease in crime... I emphasize, those studies with a bias in favour of finding that gun control reduced crime weren't able to justify that assertion. Which is remarkable considering how easy it normally is to find some statistical evidence, no matter how shallow, that "proves" your point.
SmugDealer
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2012, 09:03:57 AM »

The arrest was ill-advised, though he wasn't actually sentenced to jail time. It's not nearly as shocking as the few million people actually jailed in the U.S. for non-violent crimes.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2012, 11:02:27 AM »

I think a general gun law debate should take place in a separate thread. But I am very sceptical as to whether it will be productive/enlightning in any way.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2012, 11:11:23 AM »

But I still think that the American idea that they make ordinary people safer is simply plain wrong, there is just too much evidence to the contrary.
Is there? In my own country gun control was imposed over a decade ago... the statistical analysis since then have largely concluded that the ban had a statistically insignificant effect on the crime rate, with a minority(largely organized by pro-gun organizations) asserting a statistically significant increase in crime. Notably their haven't been any studies, even those organized by gun control advocates, that asserted a statistically significant decrease in crime... I emphasize, those studies with a bias in favour of finding that gun control reduced crime weren't able to justify that assertion. Which is remarkable considering how easy it normally is to find some statistical evidence, no matter how shallow, that "proves" your point.

The overall crime rate is not that intersting. Do those surveys deal with severe violent crime? I would be interested in some references.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 08:08:41 PM »

Paper guns kill Canadians.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2012, 10:30:03 AM »

A note, Canadian government has no control on police in Ontario, so, I would Ontarians, not Canadians.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies